Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe AWD
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preamble: If this is deemed a dumb or repetitive thread feel free to remove it!

Background: I think most folks on this forum have seen the “Consolidated 3.0T turbo replacement thread”. Reading it could give one the impression that turbo failure is imminent and/or rampant (Maybe it is?!) The old adage that you don’t read about the 100,000 flights that took off and landed safely that day but hear about the one that crashes comes to mind.

Proposal: Have folks who have both original turbos with high mileage (not sure what exactly constitutes high mileage but maybe > 50,000 miles?) post their car (RS or regular), year, mileage, and whether they are modded or not.

It would be nice to see multiple ”existence proofs” that these turbos can actually last! And whether it’s mostly stock cars.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
2018 silver sport
57,000 miles
Original spinny bois pumping out 16 PSI peak boost via JB4 for the last 8,000 miles.

Reactions: Brianq50sport

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,360 Posts
I spent all 10 years of Legacy GT ownership waiting for the turbo to fail. I suspect it will be the same with my Q50.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,139 Posts
2018 Luxe - Original Turbskies
0-30k Miles - Hertz Rental
30-60k Miles - JB4 Map 5
60-66k Miles - JB4 + WMI + 9 Peak Map 6

·
Registered
548 Posts
2018 Luxe - Original Turbskies
0-30k Miles - Hertz Rental
30-60k Miles - JB4 Map 5
60-66k Miles - JB4 + WMI + 9 Peak Map 6
This is exactly mine lol; Make sure to check your tranny fluid it might have CVT fluid in it.

0-30K Hertz Rental
30-50K JB4 Map 5

No issues to report.

Reactions: jcb

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,139 Posts
This is exactly mine lol; Make sure to check your tranny fluid it might have CVT fluid in it.
Ah...Another former rental car. Funny most of the time I would say avoid a rental, but at least we know our car ran stock boost before we got it! Mine was in great shape! No chance I have CVT because I changed it twice since I bought it. 1st time was to Valvoline MaxLife. Didn't like the shift quality so I changed it again back to Nissan Matic. Wanted to try a fluid I thought would hold up better with the Maxlife, but shift quality was more important to me. Getting ready to change out the fluid again soon.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ah...Another former rental car. Funny most of the time I would say avoid a rental, but at least we know our car ran stock boost before we got it! Mine was in great shape! No chance I have CVT because I changed it twice since I bought it. 1st time was to Valvoline MaxLife. Didn't like the shift quality so I changed it again back to Nissan Matic. Wanted to try a fluid I thought would hold up better with the Maxlife, but shift quality was more important to me. Getting ready to change out the fluid again soon.
Haha I also got mine from Hertz, family member had a dealership license you couldn't find a better car for the price at the time.
The good days when a 2018 Q50 can be had for low to mid 20s

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Red Sport , Black
18 Posts
On my 2016 Infiniti Red sport I traded in at 56k with no known turbo issues. I bought another CPO with the factory wrap warranty, a 2018 Red Sport with 18kmiles (now at 35kmi) but it feels tighter and less noisy than the 2016.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Lmao @ people posting 60,000 mile engines in a high mileage thread.
That was the suggested mileage. I’d love to see some 100,000 mile VR30s get posted up, but very few people keep their vehicles past 60,000 miles, and anything traded in with over 100,000 miles usually goes to auction and ends up being owned by someone on the FB group. Lol

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,139 Posts
Lmao @ people posting 60,000 mile engines in a high mileage thread.
Preamble: If this is deemed a dumb or repetitive thread feel free to remove it!
Proposal: Have folks who have both original turbos with high mileage (not sure what exactly constitutes high mileage but maybe > 50,000 miles?) post their car (RS or regular), year, mileage, and whether they are modded or not.
As SLD said...just giving the man what he asked for!

·
Registered
967 Posts
I typically consider low or high mileage by what is the MY...not sure what the number is these days, but 12k-15k per year was considered average yearly miles. Being the first 3.0t is seven MY's old now, technically even 70k would be considered "low mileage". Put that mileage on a 2021 and yeah definitely be "high mileage" then, haha.

Haven't quite broke 35k on my '16 RS so it's definitely "low mileage" but the good part is no turbo issues.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Chestnut bronze RS,,,that feels rare,,,
Yeah, haven't seen too many in this color overall...especially for RS and also with black interior, like mine. Only one that may be less common would be the 2017 RS, as that was last year of the color and only year that color + red calipers (RS) were available. Be curious to see what red calipers would look like, although prefer the silver ones like mine to add to the subtleness that is this car.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe AWD
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
point? 30-40k is also low mileage. high mileage is generally accepted to be greater than 75,000 miles, more like 100,000+.
True, dependent on year. It would be great to see if there are multiple examples of > 75,000 mile cars on their original turbos. Perhaps I should have put ”high mileage” in quotes!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe AWD
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
True, dependent on year. It would be great to see if there are multiple examples of > 75,000 mile cars on their original turbos.
Would anyone here buy a 3.0tt with 70k or more?,,,
Probably not here, but on the FB group - yes! Lol. If someone was an original owner of a 2017, kept it, and put on 14k per year then they would be in this range.

If I end up really liking my Q50 I can see keeping it to at least 70k miles.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts