Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
@Ddnspider has anyone actually been able to confirm a change to the turbo outside of a part number change?

While I'll agree that part number changes often signify a revision, they often change due to batches as well. Those two could happen at the same time of course but I've never seen anything that suggests actual improvements were made. I would hate to think that the new turbos are different when they're not, and the reason we don't see failures on newer turbos is because, well, they're just new.

I've looked on this site and not found anything. If my google-fu has failed me then that's fine. Do you have any concrete evidence? Hell, I think if take anyone's word for it as long as they've physically compared the old vs new turbskis.
Honestly I was surprised to see even a part number change. I thought for sure it would have been a revision only change. I'm in product development in transportation and it's totally normally to see a rev only change for an improvement/fix. In most instances customers do not WANT a new part number as it makes purchasing a hassle. Given that the part numbers have changed at least once, maybe twice, and that Infiniti is replacing them almost no questions asked, it really points to what should have been a full on recall. The bean counters said: A)not safety related + B) probability of taking out other equipment like the motor or catching the car on fire is low enough + C) cost of doing replacements on a case my case basis <= cost of a full recall. Hence only a TSB. As bad as it is, they're not stupid enough to change the part number and use the exact same turbo as that can be criminal as it's willfull intent to defraud.

I hear of very few if any 20+ MYs that need turbos replaced unless someone did something stupid. And given that people with 10k-15k miles on prior MYs have had theirs replaced, if the turbos we're the same and not fixed, we should be seeing the same or close to the same failure rate.

Finally, and I believe I posted it in the turbo failure thread, there is an aftermarket rebuild kit I found on eBay and he mentioned things like "fixed thrust bearing and snap rings". Sounds like a copy of whatever the latest version/part number turbo that fixed the issue.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Agree on all that p/n stuff. Having been in mfg as a pro sup for diff companies and in the AF, I've seen exactly what you described. If the p/n does change, it generally is the same but with a -1, a, or something similar at the end so it's at least easy to find/reference.

I think the p/n most likely denotes a chra change of some sort.

Yeah I saw that rebuild kit. The mgt1446z does not have a separate thrust bearing, it's incorporated into the end of the journal bearing. I suppose there's an improved oil groove or something.

The same oil that keeps the shaft and bearings from touching exits the end of the journal bearing to also act as a path for the axial load. Honestly, I'm guessing that's probably the source of the failure, more than anything else. That's the reason you see oil in the intake side most of the time. The ring seals on the exhaust side can't really be made any thicker without having to machine the housing and there's already two of them so as long as they're installed 180° apart, leaks shouldn't really happen.

Perhaps the thrust collar is wider than the regular version so it offers a greater surface area for the oil the contact, spreading/reducing the load pressure.

Who knows, techs don't disassemble the CHRAs and Pure/RT aren't sharing any disassembly videos to show failure points or anything.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake custom axel-back 3inch resonated exhaust
446 Posts
How long before you & your car),,become another statistic?obviously you hope to be one of the few,,,spared"

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
306 Posts
2016 Redsport RWD

0-49k unknown mods
49k-58k [email protected]
58k-64k(current) mods listed below running only kill map

I beat the absolute piss out of this car it's been nothing short of flawless reliability wise

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
306 Posts
Infiniti should put this on their sales brochure!
haha! I'm even questioning myself how nothing has broke, haven't even had a belt issue and I have an early build VR30

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve got a 2016 Q50 RS AWD that just hit 60k miles. I bought the car in early 2020 with 19k, it was a former leased vehicle. It is completely stock. I’ve run this car very hard every single day I’ve owned it and I’ve had zero issues.
This one still runs perfect, but after 2.5 years of commuting it’s showing a little age so I’m about to trade for a newer one.
Reading through this thread I apologize if I missed it … but when exactly did the latest turbo changes/revisions get implemented?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I think 2021

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake custom axel-back 3inch resonated exhaust
446 Posts
Would it be safe to say the majority of forum owners are pre 2021-owners"?,,hence, at risk?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Mhm,,my plans also would include me in the group,,eyeing a 2019 sport,,
Make sure it's not salvage/rebuild title so you still have a warranty. Then go complain you hear turbo noises 🤣.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Exactly my point about most other cars in problem years actually having failed turbos, people just don't know it because most don't go full catless downpipes.
It was most likely already burning oil but the cats were masking it. I imagine this is the case considering they did full downpipes, nothing in the exhaust to burn up/catch the oil.

·
Registered
446 Posts
How loud is a full catless downpipe?,,considering you still have entire length of exhaust/muffler to deal with sound...I did a muffler delete on the 3.7 and it's pretty loud,,had to resonate it,,sounds good now tho..

41 - 60 of 63 Posts