Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Id like to start off by saying welcome to my build thread! I'm a previous 2006 Pikes Peak White 350Z 6MT, 2010 Moonlight White G37 Sedan 7AT, and now a 2014 Liquid Platinum Q50S 7AT owner. I am also a member of myg37.com and I never got to do a thread on my build and everything I learned. I'd like to take this opportunity that I'm starting from scratch to start my first official but thread. Here are a couple pictures of my Q50S a week ago when I took delivery.

2 Days later. SunTek’s High Performance Series 20% Tint

One in that South Florida Sun

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I literally removed everything from my G37 sedan the day before taking delivery of my Q50S. I basically have strut bar, 6 point rear brace, hfc's, cat-back exhaust, coilovers, akebono sport brakes with cross drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads and braided Kevlar coated brake lines to test fit on the Q50S. First I test fit the front suspension and it bolted right up!

Unfortunately the rear did not bolt up do to the fact Infiniti completely changed the rear suspension but no worries I've passed this info on to a couple suspension companies like BC Racing and KSport.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Nice nice! Finally! :D

Are u planning on swapping your rotors?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to give the Q50S a better exhaust note so I put it on the lift to see if anything on the exhaust was compatible with that of the G37 VQ37VHR. The cats and y-pipe looked identical so I proceeded to remove and install a set of CNT Racing HFC's I had and an 2.5" Exhaust Depot Y-pipe I used on the G37.

OEM Y-pipe and Cat's

OEM Cat's and Y-pipe

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice nice! Finally! :D

Are u planning on swapping your rotors?
LOL I'll do it this weekend so you can be sure those 2 piece rotors you want will fit!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OEM Cat's vs. CNT Racing HFC's

OEM Y-pipe vs. 2.5" ExhaustDepot Y-pipe

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
LOL I'll do it this weekend so you can be sure those 2 piece rotors you want will fit!
Haha! I wasnt insinuating but if u really wanna do that then go ahead bro! :p

That would really be much help man!

Dang! So thats why u already had hfcs and y pipes already! So those are the only 2 from the exhaust that can be transferred? Hmmmm...would the hybrid be different? :( Kinda liked those motordyne art pipes!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So its official, G37 TP's/RTP's/HFC's and Y-pipes fit the Q50/Q50S!!!

Here is a video of how the car sounds indoors with a completely OEM exhaust.

here is the video after the install of HFC's and Y-pipe

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha! I wasnt insinuating but if u really wanna do that then go ahead bro! :p

That would really be much help man!

Dang! So thats why u already had hfcs and y pipes already! So those are the only 2 from the exhaust that can be transferred? Hmmmm...would the hybrid be different? :( Kinda liked those motordyne art pipes!
I haven't had the chance to peek under a hybrid but I'm assuming it would be the same because the 2nd Gen G35/G37 shared the same cat's and y-pipe as well. If someone has an all wheel drive model then I'm pretty sure a G35x/G37x y-pipe would fit.

Reactions: gbert15

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are a couple more videos of the exhaust modifications.

My buddy was kind enough to jump out of the car and film!

This one was taken with my Gopro Hero 3

Reactions: M992i and cvipgo

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
So do u think it would matter if the coils come from a different company with those same models for the fronts and rear? They should basically be the same right?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good and sounds gr8
Thank you!

So do u think it would matter if the coils come from a different company with those same models for the fronts and rear? They should basically be the same right?
I'd wait for them to come out with the proper spring rates for this application. The suspension companies have something for us shortly! I can't wait to plow this into the ground!!!

Reactions: gbert15

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Thank you!

I'd wait for them to come out with the proper spring rates for this application. The suspension companies have something for us shortly! I can't wait to plow this into the ground!!!
Nice nice! Only thing though is the bc coils dont have the dampening adjustment for the rears at the bottom of the shocks right? That's what I would miss from Bilsteins!

Also, they are true coils right? I forgot to check how it was when my wheels were out but from what I remember it doesnt have a separate spring like the ones on the G35 ryt?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice nice! Only thing though is the bc coils dont have the dampening adjustment for the rears at the bottom of the shocks right? That's what I would miss from Bilsteins!

Also, they are true coils right? I forgot to check how it was when my wheels were out but from what I remember it doesnt have a separate spring like the ones on the G35 ryt?
Yea the BC Racing Coils have the adjustment up top and like the G37 sedan they have no accessibility from inside the trunk meaning you would have to drop the rear suspension to adjust dampening. The Q50 does have a 1 piece true coilover style spring/strut in the rear until the G's that had a separate spring perch. there where a couple companies that offered true coilovers for the G35/G37's.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Removed the 3.7 emblems off my fenders along with the rear Infiniti symbol and Q50S emblems.

I'm only half done with this project, Id like to fabricate an emblemless front grill and shave down the rear Infiniti lettering above the license plate in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks pretty good so far! I heard something about a "black grille" as a factory option. Does anyone know what that looks like? Does it still have the big chrome Infiniti emblem?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks pretty good so far! I heard something about a "black grille" as a factory option. Does anyone know what that looks like? Does it still have the big chrome Infiniti emblem?
Yea they are offering a midnight black grill just like they did with the G37's. It looks identical to the standard Q50 grill but the honey comb mesh part of the grill is black. Still has the big Infiniti symbol.
Looks like you are putting a lot of great work into this. Keep up with the pictures bud!
Thanks man, ill definitely keep this updated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Coming from the G37 to the Q50s. Give us your honest opinion and what's good about the new Q50. All the pros & cons. I'm still on the fence about getting one. I'm thinking maybe I should wait for the 2015 Q50. The reviews on this car has been somewhat disappointing.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.