Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idk what's happening but in the past 24 hours I almost got in an accident 4 times.

1. When a crazy lady passed a red light and almost side crashed me. Thank god I saw her.
2. I was driving to school and all of a sudden whole traffic stopped. Before I could put foot on the brake, the car braked really hard and tightened the seat belt.
3. I was backing out of my driveway when all of a sudden the car brakes, I look back and there's a car on the street trying to pass.
4. Driving on the freeway at 65+ mph when all of a sudden all cars stopped and I didn't react fast enough amd the car braked so hard the I had smoke behind me.

Overall, I'm super thankful that I did get the technology package. I'd say well worth every penny of it

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Did you actually engage the active lane control before you got into all these situations, or did the car do it all on its own?

You should put another second or two gap between you and the cars ahead of you on the freeway.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Idk what's happening but in the past 24 hours I almost got in an accident 4 times.

1. When a crazy lady passed a red light and almost side crashed me. Thank god I saw her.
2. I was driving to school and all of a sudden whole traffic stopped. Before I could put foot on the brake, the car braked really hard and tightened the seat belt.
3. I was backing out of my driveway when all of a sudden the car brakes, I look back and there's a car on the street trying to pass.
4. Driving on the freeway at 65+ mph when all of a sudden all cars stopped and I didn't react fast enough amd the car braked so hard the I had smoke behind me.

Overall, I'm super thankful that I did get the technology package. I'd say well worth every penny of it
Amen to everything you said. And by the way, it's nice to see that someone knows the difference between the two homonyms. Your car brakes, and therefore it doesn't break.;):D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The nanny techs were all off. LOL on break and brake. I dont understand how people gets them mixed but hey who am I to judge.
I miss spell all the time.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I don't know, must of the stuff could have been avoided if we just paid attention. Like looking back before reversing?

-----------
The craziest thing that happened to me was in my 6mt G35 coupe. Driving 40mph on the hwy when all of a sudden, this idiot decided to merge into traffic by turning left and merging right into my car.

Not sure how I avoided a collision but I swerved to the right and avoided both cars. The idiot on my left, and a car on my right. We're talking inches here. Surprised I didn't lose control making a right turn and then a left turn like that at 40+mph.

Must be the rear active steering.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 100% sure it was off because right after #4, I turned them all ON for extra safety.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've had a driver's license for 46 years. I've been hit, but never hit anyone. I'm charming, but I don't believe that I'm leading a charmed life.

Common sense stuff:

Drive defensively.

Look before backing up, look again, look in the corners of the camera.

Don't follow too closely, especially in bad weather. Violated by almost everyone.

If the driver in front of you is tailgating, get further back, as his compromised reaction will affect you.

Pay attention to your driving, avoiding distractions.

Plan escape routes, like a motorcycle driver.

Try to pick out the stupid drivers. Stay away from them. This includes those in luxo cars that overly rely on electronics, instead of their brains. Of course, that does not include anyone here.

Drive chilled, unemotional. You don't have to be first, every time.

Try to save gas.

Knock on wood, or kacchu.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had a driver's license for 46 years. I've been hit, but never hit anyone. I'm charming, but I don't believe that I'm leading a charmed life.

Common sense stuff:

Drive defensively.

Don't follow too closely, especially in bad weather. Violated by almost everyone.

If the driver in front of you is tailgating, get further back, as his compromised reaction will affect you.

Try to pick out the stupid drivers. Stay away from them. This includes those in luxo cars that overly rely on electronics, instead of their brains. Of course, that does not include anyone here.

Try to save gas.

Amen to everything you said but you have to remember that sometimes things just happens and you have no control over it and it's in the hands of the driver and tech to save you from an accident.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLamalama

Common sense stuff:

Drive defensively.

Try to save gas.

Amen to everything you said but you have to remember that sometimes things just happens and you have no control over it and it's in the hands of the driver and tech to save you from an accident.

I agree with both of you. I've been involved in two accidents in my life, neither one of them avoidable. That doesn't include being "tapped" by an idiot on an Interstate once. I was in the middle lane of I-75, southbound, when some "oblivious-to-the-world, self-important jerk" was coming on from I-10. Instead of going into the right lane, he tried to take my place in the center lane, and actually hit me(I was driving a Murano at the time). I maintained control and he dropped back for a few minutes. When he passed me, and I KNEW he would, he gave ME the finger. Sometimes, you can't avoid trouble, and you just have to be able to survive it. I view the Tech features in the Q50 as an added layer of protection, to SUPPLEMENT, NOT REPLACE, everything that Klamalama said. Remember the old adage, "The most dangerous piece of hardware in a car, is the nut behind the wheel."

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
You sure the nanny tech was off? Mine just beeps at me when the nanny tech is off, does not intervene.
What BadAssQ is describing are safety features that are always on. The "nanny" tech you're referring to are what I call "active interventions" or "dynamic" controls is the word I think Infiniti uses.

Predictive Forward Collision Warning with Intelligent Brake Assist is what helped stop/slow him when he was about to collide with something in front of him. This feature is on every time you start the car.

Backup Collision Intervention is what stopped him when he was backing out of the driveway. Also on by default.

Nanny interventions would be things like Active Lane Control (steers you down middle of lane), Blind Spot Intervention (not Warning - that's on all the time, and Lane Departure Intervention.

I was guilty of calling these safety features "nanny" features when they first started to show up on the JX35 last year. Then I started hearing stories from clients who told me that the car had literally saved their butt and I started to realize just how powerful this stuff is.

Reactions: Gandhi

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not saying that anyone is at fault but myself for not fullying paying attention to the road but after this happening to me, I am much more aware of my surroundings. Maybe it was a sign for me to always have both hands on the steering wheel and always be prepared to slam on the brakes.

I am great full that the car saved my ass from a disastrous accident and would have ruined the holiday season but thanks to the technology it has, not only did it saved my holiday season from bring ruined but also somebody else's too.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Glad to see the technology package working so will and I'm glad your safe. Lol try and pay a little more attention next time would ya! ;)

Reactions: 1BadAssQ

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad to hear that this technology actually works, and that it is saving lives. You should strive to not have to use this technology if you can though. Almost 4 accidents in one day is really not acceptable for someone with a driver's license.

I think that some of these technologies should come standard on cars. They save lives and then people don't have to feel weird about buying a technology that really they should be able to do without if they drive well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I completely agree, someone with a drivers license should not be getting into 4 accidents in one day.
I have had my drivers license since I was 16 and now I'm 24 and have had zero accident and 2 tickets. One for going 49 on a 45 and another making a RIGHT turn on red which was dismissed.

I am super careful as a driver as I have family always riding with me but I don't know what was it that in one day I was saved from 4 accidents. Time to go see a priest LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
You sure the nanny tech was off? Mine just beeps at me when the nanny tech is off, does not intervene.
Front & rear collision intervention works without the "nanny tech" being on, as far as I know.

For example, there is a distance control assist (among other things) that gets activated when you press the steering wheel button but that system is completely different from the emergency frontal collision (and rear collision as well, I believe).

Oh and I agree with everyone about being able to avoid most accidents simply by paying attention. That said, there are times where no matter how careful, alert or defensive a driver you are, the collision may be unavoidable. People that say they have never been in an accident try to counter this but the reality is that even the best of drivers are sometimes placed in situations where you simply have to choose the best of two poor options.

Mind you, I have the best possible insurance rates, no at-fault accidents, etc. I do get rear ended by someone on average every 5 years though but I blame SoCal freeways for that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.