Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out exactly what "the update" is.

The main purpose of the update is to prevent the inTouch system from automatically updating your apps when you are using the car. They found that whenever an update was available, the inTouch system would automatically shut down and begin the update, regardless of what time or if you were driving the car. They realized this was a problem in that people would be frustrated if they were driving and then would not be able to use inTouch system while the system updated. So, what they have developed is a way where the car learns your driving habits (when you drive and when you don't drive) ... Once it knows the best possible chance of you not needing to drive during a certain time frame, it will update your apps. It can't just stop the update midway through, and it takes time to update it, so it's important that it figures out a good time when it's likely you won't be using the car. So, pretty neat actually, and I'm glad the update is nothing major, and just a convenience thing. It will also have some minor bug fixes and speed upgrades, but it's primarily to fix the update process.

I also found out that the update is already ready, but they are still waiting for August 5 to launch it when the TV and other advertising campaigns begin. The update will be delivered on August 5 at 10am, and it sounds like they can update 15 cars at a time. The update should take about one hour, then a district manager and another Infiniti rep will be onsite to inspect the vehicle and people can start picking them up in the afternoon. It would be good to get on the good side of your dealer to make sure they do your car on launch day...otherwise you may have to wait a few days.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Nice one man! Good to hear! So no speed updates or anything? So does that mean there in no way to set a specific time to update? They just learn the times u use your car?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thanks for speading the words.
So, the update happen when the car is off. Hopefully this doesn't drain all the battery especially after 5+ years from now, the battery mostly become weak or dying and the update happen and use up all your battery and the next thing you know you can't start your car :mad:
I'm sure Infiniti might think of that...hmm...maybe :rolleyes:

Once it knows the best possible chance of you not needing to drive during a certain time frame, it will update your apps. It can't just stop the update midway through, and it takes time to update it, so it's important that it figures out a good time when it's likely you won't be using the car. QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
This is great info. Thanks. I still worry about the availability of the people required to audit the cars after the update.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
So the system *can* be updated from the mother ship over the air. Good to know.

now I just need to worry that the car is watching me every time. All those cameras. Watching. Waiting.......

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

now I just need to worry that the car is watching me every time. All those cameras. Watching. Waiting.......
Not sure that the entire system can be updated from the mother ship but this is for in touch apps like Pandora, I heart radio, etc

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
526 Posts

Let's not forget that with the right options, these cars can drive themselves. My wife already says this car will be named Christine.

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Registered
30 Posts
While I could be wrong (and I hope I am), I doubt that the update can be installed over the air.

I found this on page 6-2 of the InTouch Owner's Manual:

Infiniti InTouch provides in-vehicle access
to two types of applications: Vehicle Apps
and Mobile Apps. Vehicle Apps can be
downloaded from App Garage in the Menu
screen. Mobile Apps are a limited selection
of popular smartphone-based apps that
have been customized for in-vehicle use.
Mobile Apps can be accessed by connecting
your compatible smartphone to the
vehicle.
The system allows you to download new
applications, update downloaded applications
and delete downloaded applications
in a similar manner as popular smartphone
operating systems.
Some pre-installed Vehicle Apps can be
used without taking any extra steps.
However, you will need to connect a
compatible smartphone to the vehicle in
order to update Vehicle Apps or use Mobile
Apps.

If it's just the InTouch Apps such as Pandora, I heart radio, etc, that need to be updated, I would think that they'd be updated via the smartphone method as outlined in the manual, or via a dealer installed update done via flash media.

I called Infiniti Canada today and asked exactly how the update process will work and when it will be done. The rep I spoke said she wasn't privy to that info and someone "more senior" will call be back within 48 hours with more information.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I could be wrong (and I hope I am), I doubt that the update can be installed over the air.

vehicle.
operating systems.
Apps.

If it's just the InTouch Apps such as Pandora, I heart radio, etc, that need to be updated, I would think that they'd be updated via the smartphone method as outlined in the manual, or via a dealer installed update done via flash media.

I called Infiniti Canada today and asked exactly how the update process will work and when it will be done. The rep I spoke said she wasn't privy to that info and someone "more senior" will call be back within 48 hours with more information.
You mean in the manual that was taken offline? :) we need to check the updated version when it's posted and see what changed

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Registered
121 Posts
The main purpose of the update is to prevent the inTouch system from automatically updating your apps when you are using the car. They found that whenever an update was available, the inTouch system would automatically shut down and begin the update, regardless of what time or if you were driving the car.
This system is laughably dumb if they need to take the entire infotainment system offline just to update apps on it.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I also found out that the update is already ready, but they are still waiting for August 5 to launch it when the TV and other advertising campaigns begin. The update will be delivered on August 5 at 10am, and it sounds like they can update 15 cars at a time. The update should take about one hour, then a district manager and another Infiniti rep will be onsite to inspect the vehicle and people can start picking them up in the afternoon. It would be good to get on the good side of your dealer to make sure they do your car on launch day...otherwise you may have to wait a few days.
Don't take offense to this, but where did you hear this from? Also, just an opinion, but it seems extremely odd & perplexing that if the update is already ready that they would wait allll the way until the day of launch to begin installing the updates. :confused: Why not just do them now? I actually figured the updates have already begun being installed since the test drive vids that you posted appeared to feature a much smoother & "lag-free" InTouch system. This is some rather interesting news.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't take offense to this, but where did you hear this from? Also, just an opinion, but it seems extremely odd & perplexing that if the update is already ready that they would wait allll the way until the day of launch to begin installing the updates. :confused: Why not just do them now? I actually figured the updates have already begun being installed since the test drive vids that you posted appeared to feature a much smoother & "lag-free" InTouch system. This is some rather interesting news.
I'm not going to say since the person told me in confidence. But I think people know me enough here that I wouldn't make something up..it came from someone high up at Infiniti

Reactions: maddsiick

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts

The main purpose of the update is to prevent the inTouch system from automatically updating your apps when you are using the car. They found that whenever an update was available, the inTouch system would automatically shut down and begin the update, regardless of what time or if you were driving the car. They realized this was a problem in that people would be frustrated if they were driving and then would not be able to use inTouch system while the system updated. So, what they have developed is a way where the car learns your driving habits (when you drive and when you don't drive) ... Once it knows the best possible chance of you not needing to drive during a certain time frame, it will update your apps. It can't just stop the update midway through, and it takes time to update it, so it's important that it figures out a good time when it's likely you won't be using the car. So, pretty neat actually, and I'm glad the update is nothing major, and just a convenience thing. It will also have some minor bug fixes and speed upgrades, but it's primarily to fix the update process.

I'm not going to say since the person told me in confidence. But I think people know me enough here that I wouldn't make something up..it came from someone high up at Infiniti
I can confirm what Q50Aggie has posted, I got same info from my contacts at Infiniti. BTW: My Q50 won't be here till mid August so I am in no hurry and will actually won't take delivery till end of August.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I didn't say you made something up. I have no reason to not believe you. I still find it odd & perplexing that Infiniti would standby idle until the day of launch before installing a crucial update that's already available, and rely squarely on these human technicians to successfully visit every single dealership & give a quality check of approval before being sold. Why not even do it on the day before? But as I said before, the InTouch system that you played around with on your test drive vid was undeniably faster & responsive than what we've been seeing. Perhaps some of these cars being delivered to TX & other parts of the east coast were corrected at the port, hence the late arrivals. I surmise that final inspection on the 5th will be just that. But what do I know.

Reactions: Q50Aggie

·
Registered
30 Posts

I want to make sure I understand correctly. The update will be delivered over the air? Only 15 cars can be updated at a time? After the update is installed, two people from Infiniti come out to the dealer to inspect the car(s) to verify the update has been installed on each one?

With presumably hundreds of cars sitting on dealer's lots in Canada and the US alone, its going to take several days (maybe even weeks) to get the all the vehicles updated and inspected. I don't understand why they wouldn't start the updating and inspecting now if the update is ready to go.

My Q50 was delivered to my dealer on July 2nd. First I was told that the update would be installed on the 4th and I could take my car home then. That changed to August 5th. I talked to the dealer earlier this week and was told the install is now scheduled for August 12th. I was also told that the service department will be doing the install (sounds like they're misinformed...).

I phoned Infiniti Canada today to express my frustration and let them know that the dealers don't seem to be well informed on that matter.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't say you made something up. I have no reason to not believe you. I still find it odd & perplexing that Infiniti would standby idle until the day of launch before installing a crucial update that's already available, and rely squarely on these human technicians to successfully visit every single dealership & give a quality check of approval before being sold. Why not even do it on the day before? But as I said before, the InTouch system that you played around with on your test drive vid was undeniably faster & responsive than what we've been seeing. Perhaps some of these cars being delivered to TX & other parts of the east coast were corrected at the port, hence the late arrivals. I surmise that final inspection on the 5th will be just that. But what do I know.

I agree...I think they must still be tweaking it or something...no reason to wait until launch day...

Reactions: chicagokevo

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts

vehicle.
operating systems.
Apps.

There is difference between app updates and firmware updates. OP is talking about firmware updates, not app updates.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is difference between app updates and firmware updates. OP is talking about firmware updates, not app updates.
Actually I'm talking about app updates...perhaps the system will download the apps to the car when your phone is linked But waits to install them until you're not using the car.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.