Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had question that i hope someone can answer
I recently put a lower down pipe on my 2016 Q50 RS and started noticing that when i let it sit or idle for a bit that white smoke starts coming out and cant really figure out what the issue is. I was told it might be the turbos but wanted to see if someone else on here had the same issue ? Would love so more insight on whats going on here thank you !

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
White smoke during warm-up is condensation burning-off. White smoke when at engine operating temperature can be coolant-related. Infiniti has had some of the VR30 engines in the 2016+ Q50 and the 2017+ Q60 develop porous engine blocks, which allow coolant to enter the combustion chamber and get burned, as a result. Blue smoke is typically bad turbo bearing(s) and/or seal(s), which require turbo replacement.

What is your Q's in-service date? The powertrain warranty on a 2016 Q50 is 6-yr/70k miles from the in-service date, so your MY2016 may be close-to or already exceeded the 6-yr limit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!!
My Q is at 95k miles but i do have carmax warranty
And when i’m driving, no smoke comes out its only when it sits and idles like if im in a long line at a drive thru for example but hopefully it isnt the turbos but if i do need a turbo replacement i would need to go back to stock correct ?

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Thank you for the reply!!
My Q is at 95k miles but i do have carmax warranty
And when i’m driving, no smoke comes out its only when it sits and idles like if im in a long line at a drive thru for example but hopefully it isnt the turbos but if i do need a turbo replacement i would need to go back to stock correct ?
if you are at 95,000 miles and have a warranty, LITFA.

Put it back to factory spec and leave it there.

·
Registered
986 Posts
First, welcome to the forums. Glad to see you here.

Most likely your turbos are bad. Use the warranty. That's a pretty classic sign of the beginning stages of failure. Left unchecked, it will progress to happening more often and then the turbos will start making noise as the clearance inside the turbo increases to the point that the compressor wheels contacts the backside of the housing it's in. It while make noise under boost, sounding like a dentist drill. There's examples of this on YouTube.

Alternatively, the initial batch of blocks in 2016 and some 2017 blocks were porous as the spray coating for the cylinders wasn't correctly applied from the factory. The most obvious sign of this will be disappearing coolant with no sign of leaks. I doubt this is your problem but check the coolant levels. Left alone, this will leak to engine failure.

Finally, why in earth did you make THREE identical threads? Don't ever do that again. Take the time to read some rules and check out the stickied threads in the sun forums, lots of good advice floating around. This forum is one of the best forums I think I've ever been on in terms of knowledge and feedback for any platform. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
In the words of @Avedis53 "Please do not make duplicate threads in multiple forum sections. It does nothing but causes confusion and does not easily combine responses". True story.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
In the words of @Avedis53 "Please do not make duplicate threads in multiple forum sections. It does nothing but causes confusion and does not easily combine responses". True story.
Well, the duplicate threads on this topic have been deleted. Carry on.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
346 Posts
Had question that i hope someone can answer
I recently put a lower down pipe on my 2016 Q50 RS and started noticing that when i let it sit or idle for a bit that white smoke starts coming out and cant really figure out what the issue is. I was told it might be the turbos but wanted to see if someone else on here had the same issue ? Would love so more insight on whats going on here thank you !
What does it smell like? I had some thin white smoke coming out the other day as well and it was definitely an ethanol smell. I spoke with Hussain at Racebox and he said "if it smells like fuel the only thing it could be is some fuel in the exhaust that is just burning slower."

Thankfully I haven't seen it since.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Im a little bitter we didn't get to see Avedis post it himself. :ROFLMAO:
Avedis & I are a little busier this summer as Tater has chronic case of AWOL, with an occasional showing like Sheldon in the ball pit:

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
What does it smell like? I had some thin white smoke coming out the other day as well and it was definitely an ethanol smell. I spoke with Hussain at Racebox and he said "if it smells like fuel the only thing it could be is some fuel in the exhaust that is just burning slower."

or a leaking/failed fuel injector.

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
346 Posts
or a leaking/failed fuel injector.
That definitely was a concern of mine as well. During the IC install I had the shop inspect the fuel rails/injectors and everything seemed to check out. After the ICs were installed and the system was bled properly we didn't see any more smoke.

I'm hoping it was just some extra fuel, really don't want to replace injectors for the 3rd time :unsure: ha

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
That definitely was a concern of mine as well. During the IC install I had the shop inspect the fuel rails/injectors and everything seemed to check out. After the ICs were installed and the system was bled properly we didn't see any more smoke.

I'm hoping it was just some extra fuel, really don't want to replace injectors for the 3rd time :unsure: ha
Third time!?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,661 Posts
A worthy paraphrase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xBlitzkriegx
Thank you for the response and sorry for the duplicate posts was trying to figure out if there were different topics to post to
But i have checked my coolant levels and the levels are all full i have had an issue where i did have a cracked head and did need an engine replacement but i just recently started adding some performance parts on the car, like BOV Lower Downpipe heat exchanger and a oil catch can
And it was about 3 weeks into it that i started getting white smoke coming out of the exhaust its not evryday that i drive but only when it sits at idle for a decent period

·
Registered
4,750 Posts

Good point. If it is coolant it will have a very distinct sweet smell. Oil will smell different and will be tinged blue. Water vapor is odorless and a normal by product of combustion.

Reactions: Q50Wolf

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
346 Posts
Third time!?
haha it would be the third if I had to again....first went with a set of Nostrum injectors that were causing a lot of issues, was refunded by AMS and purchased Motor West 1900cc DI Injectors for the replacements.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
haha it would be the third if I had to again....first went with a set of Nostrum injectors that were causing a lot of issues, was refunded by AMS and purchased Motor West 1900cc DI Injectors for the replacements.
Did the rails ever get replaced?

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
346 Posts
Reactions: IridiumRS400
1 - 20 of 27 Posts