Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
First, welcome to the forums. Glad to see you here.

Most likely your turbos are bad. Use the warranty. That's a pretty classic sign of the beginning stages of failure. Left unchecked, it will progress to happening more often and then the turbos will start making noise as the clearance inside the turbo increases to the point that the compressor wheels contacts the backside of the housing it's in. It while make noise under boost, sounding like a dentist drill. There's examples of this on YouTube.

Alternatively, the initial batch of blocks in 2016 and some 2017 blocks were porous as the spray coating for the cylinders wasn't correctly applied from the factory. The most obvious sign of this will be disappearing coolant with no sign of leaks. I doubt this is your problem but check the coolant levels. Left alone, this will leak to engine failure.

Finally, why in earth did you make THREE identical threads? Don't ever do that again. Take the time to read some rules and check out the stickied threads in the sun forums, lots of good advice floating around. This forum is one of the best forums I think I've ever been on in terms of knowledge and feedback for any platform. Welcome aboard.
Thank you for the response and sorry for the duplicate posts was trying to figure out if there were different topics to post to
But i have checked my coolant levels and the levels are all full i have had an issue where i did have a cracked head and did need an engine replacement but i just recently started adding some performance parts on the car, like BOV Lower Downpipe heat exchanger and a oil catch can
And it was about 3 weeks into it that i started getting white smoke coming out of the exhaust its not evryday that i drive but only when it sits at idle for a decent period
And sorry for reposting this again couldnt figure out how to tag you

·
Registered
979 Posts
oil will appear white in small quantities. take it to the dealer and be extremely specific about when it smokes. they will have to replicate the condition in order to be able to get repairs authorized. give them videos, pictures, and descriptions. provide oil changes if at all possible.

Reactions: Q50Wolf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
oil will appear white in small quantities. take it to the dealer and be extremely specific about when it smokes. they will have to replicate the condition in order to be able to get repairs authorized. give them videos, pictures, and descriptions. provide oil changes if at all possible.
Ok awesome thanks alot for the help really appreciate it hopefully i have the same issues when its back to stick that way they can cover it lol

·
Registered
979 Posts
No, go in ASAP. Avoiding it or eating is causing more damage. The longer you wait, the more tolerances increase and the worse it will become. It will progress to making noise soon and the second your turbos start making noise, that's metal to metal contact which will mean little metal shavings in your intake tract. As part of his inspection, the tech looked at the entire intake tract for metal. This wasn't documented on the invoice. The service advisor told me about that, unprompted.

Read my post (895) in the turbo replacement thread to see what the dealer tech did. Also, I had them change the oil while it was there. Though I use a Fram Ultra filter and Mobile 1 EP 0w20 oil, the oem filter and syth oil they use will be fine. Anything new is better than used oil, even if it only had 3500 miles on the oil.

Again, if it's smoking from the exhaust at all, excessive clearance exists and it's only going to get worse. Ideally, take it in as it's smoking for the shortest diagnostic time. If you can't, then record yourself and your car showing the smoke. Include the license plate and/or vin so no one car pretend it's not your car. Include oil changes if possible, gather receipts. That's probably overkill but it'll show you're prepared.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No, go in ASAP. Avoiding it or eating is causing more damage. The longer you wait, the more tolerances increase and the worse it will become. It will progress to making noise soon and the second your turbos start making noise, that's metal to metal contact which will mean little metal shavings in your intake tract. As part of his inspection, the tech looked at the entire intake tract for metal. This wasn't documented on the invoice. The service advisor told me about that, unprompted.

Read my post (895) in the turbo replacement thread to see what the dealer tech did. Also, I had them change the oil while it was there. Though I use a Fram Ultra filter and Mobile 1 EP 0w20 oil, the oem filter and syth oil they use will be fine. Anything new is better than used oil, even if it only had 3500 miles on the oil.

Again, if it's smoking from the exhaust at all, excessive clearance exists and it's only going to get worse. Ideally, take it in as it's smoking for the shortest diagnostic time. If you can't, then record yourself and your car showing the smoke. Include the license plate and/or vin so no one car pretend it's not your car. Include oil changes if possible, gather receipts. That's probably overkill but it'll show you're prepared.
Ok most definitely thank you!
One question tho since i do have BOV and Lower downpipes will that be something i have to take off and put back to stock In order for the warranty to cover it ?

·
Super Moderator
3,849 Posts
Ok most definitely thank you!
One question tho since i do have BOV and Lower downpipes will that be something i have to take off and put back to stock In order for the warranty to cover it ?
Yes.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts