Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, not a fan of either design.

The chrome wrapped one does not visually benefit at all from the wrap. I understand they were trying to make it symbolic of "ones reflection" but ultimately the exterior needed to be more well thought and executed. It takes away from the sharp body lines and details that make the Q50 such a stunning car. Perhaps I could have lived with it had the interior been a masterpiece, however it was also a flop IMO. Not a fan of the stripes as I was expecting so much more detail. The stripes look out of place and awkward but hey this is just my opinion. I have never designed a car to be brodcast on a world stage but I can guarantee I would have at least pushed the envelope at bit further. Like c'mon a chrome wrap and stripe down the seats. Pfft!

As far as the Zac Posen car goes, I applaud the details and extent of design on the interior. Not a huge fan of the color but hey its different and well executed. The exterior again falls short IMO. The faded color transitional paint job is nothing new and again lacking the degree of character I was expecting when I first heard about this project.

I'd be willing to bet that there will be several members on here that will ultimately create their own Q50 design which will garner more acclaim from true enthusiasts than either of the above mentioned attempts.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've said it before and I'll say it again, not a fan of either design.

The chrome wrapped one does not visually benefit at all from the wrap. I understand they were trying to make it symbolic of "ones reflection" but ultimately the exterior needed to be more well thought and executed. It takes away from the sharp body lines and details that make the Q50 such a stunning car. Perhaps I could have lived with it had the interior been a masterpiece, however it was also a flop IMO. Not a fan of the stripes as I was expecting so much more detail. The stripes look out of place and awkward but hey this is just my opinion. I have never designed a car to be brodcast on a world stage but I can guarantee I would have at least pushed the envelope at bit further. Like c'mon a chrome wrap and stripe down the seats. Pfft!

As far as the Zac Posen car goes, I applaud the details and extent of design on the interior. Not a huge fan of the color but hey its different and well executed. The exterior again falls short IMO. The faded color transitional paint job is nothing new and again lacking the degree of character I was expecting when I first heard about this project.

I'd be willing to bet that there will be several members on here that will ultimately create their own Q50 design which will garner more acclaim from true enthusiasts than either of the above mentioned attempts.
Well said and I agree.

I don't like the exteriors much on any of them. I don't like the Thom Browne stripes. They don't really seem to fit the car's luxury-oriented design language. I do like Posen's red interior a bit--it's kinda growing on me.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
The only thing I really like about the Zac Posen Q50 are the red seats. Maybe a black and red styling on the doors too, but other than that, the other red in the interior is overkill for me. I really wish the sport came with a red seat option.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The only thing I really like about the Zac Posen Q50 are the red seats. Maybe a black and red styling on the doors too, but other than that, the other red in the interior is overkill for me. I really wish the sport came with a red seat option.
It's like what they said---it's about being bold and unique...at the same time, this project felt like nothing more than an expensive Q50 commercial. I mean, who are actually buying these cars? Are they just for show?

As for the Zac Posen interior or any of these interiors, I feel like it's almost a no-win scenario. In any other car, yeah, a traditionally styled interior would make more sense, but these guys are going out of their way to create something substantial and very "posh" and upscale looking. I mean, these are special Q50's priced at over $70k. To me, if this was my money and for some reason the Q50 was my favorite $70k to have, I'd rather have an interior that was overkill and looked its price than have it look too much like everything else I've seen before.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
The red interior one had some horrible detailing at the top and bottom of the steering wheel and the chrome wrapped one...yuck.

I'm surprised they didn't have Louis Vuitton design one with the garish brown and gold wrap design on the entire car inside and out.

There are tasteful ways to adjust designs to add or subtract from them, make a statement, etc. but in my humble opinion, these 2 designers should stick to belts or whatever they make.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think that chrome wraps on any car are a bad idea. It looks so gawdy and over the top. Part of good design is restraint.

The other model that goes from white to metallic black is nicer as far as the exterior goes, but the red interior is not the look IMO. Especially the centre arm rest that looks like it has been bejeweled. These are conspicuous cars that are appropriate for big shots like Donald Trump, not for people who have some modesty and taste.

·
Registered
119 Posts
hmm that red interior

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yikes! Can't say I'm a fan.

·
Registered
119 Posts
not a big fan of red interior either but I'm digging it

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Not sure where the thread for this is now but I remember these were 2 Q50s made by 2 designers! One made an all chrome one while the other was matte I think! Forgot which one had the red interior!

Edit: just watched the video after writing this post and i guess I had it right! The red is nice but is just too much IMO! They should have retained some parts black or something!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My '62 Volvo P1800 had a red interior. It used to be quite common. I think it's great.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the red is nice, but doing it on the dash is kind of overkill. if they just did the seats and some of the leather on the doors and kept some of the black leather to accent the red would be nice, and for the wood trim, it should be replaced with carbon fiber giving it a bit of a sporty interior

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.