Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New 2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD. Its an amazing car but I would love it even more with better tires. I came from a RWD G35 sedan, went through many sets of summer and winter tires. The RS has the beloved Dunlop Sport 5000 DSST CTT run flats. The reviews make me wonder why Infiniti stuck us with these :(

I plan to keep the stock 19s, so what have you all been replacing them with? Been eyeing the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Seems to be a very respected tire. Also, would it be worth it to go wider?

·
Vendor
1,202 Posts
I have seen many people go one size wider to the 255/40/19.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a great tire. Some of the popular tires that we've been selling are;

- Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
- BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S
- General G-MAX AS-05

·
Registered
365 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is rated number 1 - if you can do a summer tire. The A/S 3 is an excellent all-season...

Either is far better than the run flats...

·
Registered
260 Posts
The A/S 3+ are the best A/S tires I've experienced, even compared to the previous gen A/S 3 I had before (hybrid Sport AWD).
I now take a curve at 50mph with the same confidence I had before at 40mph.
I only had two brief encounters with snow, and it was as if the snow didn't exist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I may go 255/40/19, I feel a little too much rim sticks out (but maybe that's how the Dunlops sit). I think any tire will be better than these run flats. I really am at a loss of words how this tire made the cut for the RS.

I used to run a dedicated winter set (Blizzaks) on my old G35, but rather not do that again. So I'm leaning towards the A/S 3+. I live outside Chicago and will need these tires for snow.

And since I'll be ditching these run flats, I'm going to source a spare tire/kit. Do the Red Sport's have a spare tire kit option? I see Q50 spare wheels on ebay, but being AWD and on the RS 19", it needs to be the proper size, etc. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the A/S 3+ and they sounded like Jeep tires all the time. I traded them in for the Pirelli P zero All Season. Good grip and quieter and supposedly handle better overall than the A/S 3+. I did love the way the Michelin's looked, but the noise was unbearable. Pirelli's leave a slight rim lip look when mounted to the RS400 rims. Ride is superior over stock RF's for sure on both tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=216

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=216

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the A/S 3+ and they sounded like Jeep tires all the time. I traded them in for the Pirelli P zero All Season. Good grip and quieter and supposedly handle better overall than the A/S 3+. I did love the way the Michelin's looked, but the noise was unbearable. Pirelli's leave a slight rim lip look when mounted to the RS400 rims. Ride is superior over stock RF's for sure on both tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=216

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=216
Check out the winter numbers, though: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplayWinter.jsp?ttid=216

For me the A/S 3+ are a bit quieter than the A/S 3, which were on par with the stock Dunlop A/S for noise levels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do recommend sticking summer tires on it for as long as you can to truly unleash the car's potential. I can't speak for AS tires as I live in SoCal and don't use them, but for summer tires - there's no doubt that Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is amazing, as is the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport. For something more budget friendly, Firestone Firehawk Indy500 is great. Incredible traction, extremely smooth and quiet, though slightly weaker sidewall than aforementioned tires. Pilot Super Sport should also be considered and even though it's a slightly lesser tire than the new 4S, from what I've read, the 4S has a bit less feedback at the limit.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I never really had any real traction problem in my drive with the RS400 in AWD but the tires were noisy and bit harsh, if you wanted to change would 100% recommend getting dedicated summer/winter tires.

All season tires are not really a replacement for dedicated winter tires they just better suited for climates where the temperature can drop down to 20-25F early morning and then warm up to 70's later in the day. So if you don't get surprise snow storms in July or early September like where I am in Canada may as well
stick with a summer tire, they are better suited to the rain and have better stopping distances anyhow.

All season option:
Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Summer:
Pilot Sport 4S or Pilot Super Sport

Winter:
Bridgestone Blizzacks

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just got a set of BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. They are almost as good as Michelins, but cost a bit less. Waiting for them to be put on.

General tires are a hit or miss depending on the car. They seem to be good for the first 15k miles and then fall apart. Personally had DWS, the previous model, and wasnt that impressed. They were on my G37 RWD Coupe and even by getting a wider size I wasnt impressed with wet traction. I am sure they improved them, but the new DWS design is lacking.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I may go 255/40/19, I feel a little too much rim sticks out (but maybe that's how the Dunlops sit). I think any tire will be better than these run flats. I really am at a loss of words how this tire made the cut for the RS.

I used to run a dedicated winter set (Blizzaks) on my old G35, but rather not do that again. So I'm leaning towards the A/S 3+. I live outside Chicago and will need these tires for snow.

And since I'll be ditching these run flats, I'm going to source a spare tire/kit. Do the Red Sport's have a spare tire kit option? I see Q50 spare wheels on ebay, but being AWD and on the RS 19", it needs to be the proper size, etc. Thanks in advance.
Correct, Dunlop is just a garbage tire in general. They are narrower by design even though they are 40 size. Do not fall for the trap of getting 255/40 over 245, every tire is made different. I had a set of 255s on another car I owned and they stuck out a bit too much for my liking and really didnt provide any better traction. Anything you buy that is 245/40 will be thicker than Dunlops.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FYI, just got a set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and they are LOUD on the interstate above 65mph. Okay on regular streets up to 55-60mph. Still much quieter and more bearable than the stock Dunlop runflats that screamed like a jet engine and the performance is at least as good so overall I'm happy. Next time I'll probably try the Pirelli P Zero A/S+ that are supposed to be quieter.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
FYI, just got a set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and they are LOUD on the interstate above 65mph. Okay on regular streets up to 55-60mph. Still much quieter and more bearable than the stock Dunlop runflats that screamed like a jet engine and the performance is at least as good so overall I'm happy. Next time I'll probably try the Pirelli P Zero A/S+ that are supposed to be quieter.
Thanks for sharing this feedback. When I change out of the stock Dunlops I definitely want to improve the road noise issue. I think I'm going to have to look at the Pirelli's based on your feedback and Tire Rack's testing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wore my stock all season run flats down to the 3/32" wear bars in 17,000 miles. I was surprised by the foam inside the tires when I replaced them. I assume it's there to reduce NVH (noise,vibration,harshness) as I have never seen that on any other run flats or any tires that I have replaced in the past 25 years. I went with the General G-MAX AS-05 in 245/40R19XL. Paid $667.16 shipped for all 4. Treadwear rating is 500 compared to the run flats 240. And the run flats supposedly weigh around 30 lbs compared to this tire advertised at 25 lbs and weighing 24.8 on my digital bathroom scale. I have put on 1500 miles so far and I love them. I am very impressed by the wet tire grip for excellent acceleration and handling even in heavy rain. Dry grip is very good for an all season tire. And eventually I will find out the snow grip and how long they last. Hopefully alot longer than 17,000 miles although I do use my car to it's full performance potential as much as possible so things probably wear out faster than the average driver.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Hi all. New 2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD. Its an amazing car but I would love it even more with better tires. I came from a RWD G35 sedan, went through many sets of summer and winter tires. The RS has the beloved Dunlop Sport 5000 DSST CTT run flats. The reviews make me wonder why Infiniti stuck us with these :(

I plan to keep the stock 19s, so what have you all been replacing them with? Been eyeing the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Seems to be a very respected tire. Also, would it be worth it to go wider?
Nissan has a contract with dunlop for X years i believe. They can't just walk away from it IMO.

Been using michelin ps4s for about 2.5k miles now. Previous tire was the stock RFT summer tire but I have to say the Summer RFT isn't as bad as the all-season version. PS4S (compared to Summer RFT) is better in almost every aspect except noise and softer sidewall. I mean, it's noticeably softer but didn't improve the ride quality in my opinion and noise is getting a bit annoying over road imperfection. I still love the PS4S and no regrets.

If i were to get an all-season, A/S 3+. Going wider isn't worth it more than getting a better rubber - assuming your concern is all about traction.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am still running the stock RFT's but will be changing out my tires soon. I used to run Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's on my G35 and really enjoyed them. They gripped really well in dry and almost as good in the wet, even outperforming tires well above their price range. Hankook recently came out with an updated version of the V12's (I think they call it the Evo 2 or something like that) and I'm leaning towards giving them a shot on my RS. Just throwing out another one for people to look into if interested.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just put on a set of the 255/40-19 Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus tires and I am extremely happy with the results. I went with a wider size to compensate for the narrower tread width on the Pirelli's. The ride is 100% better and much quieter than the stock Dunflops. Would have never known better if not for this forum. Best decision that I have ever made besides the Fast Intentions CBE and hopefully the Burger JB1 I have on order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts