Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I just put on a set of the 255/40-19 Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus tires and I am extremely happy with the results. I went with a wider size to compensate for the narrower tread width on the Pirelli's. The ride is 100% better and much quieter than the stock Dunflops. Would have never known better if not for this forum. Best decision that I have ever made besides the Fast Intentions CBE and hopefully the Burger JB1 I have on order.
What do you mean by it having a narrower tread width? Is it not at the normal 245 width typically?

·
Registered
721 Posts
What do you mean by it having a narrower tread width? Is it not at the normal 245 width typically?
Different Brand+Model Tires have different Tread Widths.

For example:

245/40/19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050 DSST CTT has a tread width of 8.7"

255/40/19 Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus has a tread width of 8.4"

As you can see... the 245 Dunlop has a wider tread width than the 255 Pirelli (narrower). Tread width is another thing to consider when selecting a tire, especially if your goal is to have a wider and beefier looking tire (cosmetic), or for more of a contact patch (performance).

You can find the specs of tires of tirerack.com.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do recommend sticking summer tires on it for as long as you can to truly unleash the car's potential. I can't speak for AS tires as I live in SoCal and don't use them, but for summer tires - there's no doubt that Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is amazing, as is the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport. For something more budget friendly, Firestone Firehawk Indy500 is great. Incredible traction, extremely smooth and quiet, though slightly weaker sidewall than aforementioned tires. Pilot Super Sport should also be considered and even though it's a slightly lesser tire than the new 4S, from what I've read, the 4S has a bit less feedback at the limit.

Do you have any personal experience with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500? I'm pretty much sold on the Continental Extremecontact sport but I'm flirting with the firestones just because they're cheaper. The michelins are nice but i'm not sure they're worth the premium over the Conti. Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,133 Posts
I have seen many people go one size wider to the 255/40/19.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a great tire. Some of the popular tires that we've been selling are;

- Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
- BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S
- General G-MAX AS-05
I have the 255/40 A/S 3+ and they perform VERY well. They are a bit noisy though. The DWS 06 is quieter and not as harsh.. less sporty, but may be the best tire for the Q50 AWD in the 255/40. They have a UTQG: 560 AA A .. not bad. UHP summer sport tires wear fast. I am pretty sure I will get the Continental DWS 06 next.

If $ is a factor apparently these below have good reviews. Popular in Europe. I have no experience with them. I never heard of them till last wk. For the price they may be worth a try?

Cheap =
Barum Bravuris 3HM
$115 @ Discount tire
255 /40 R19 100Y XL UTQG= 420 A A
ITEM: 11452
40,000 mile warranty
A division of Continental
Barum is a manufacturer of rubber tyres, based in the Czech Republic. The Barum tyre company was created as a subsidiary of Bata Shoes who made rubber soled boots in Czechoslovakia.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just put on new Bridgestone DRIVEGUARD run flats after hitting a pothole and getting a sidewall bubble.
245/40RF19
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=DriveGuard

The ride is smoother, they work better in rain(need to wait a few more months for the snow), they're 50k tires, and have a warranty. If you're whipping around corners fast or looking for a pure sport performance tire this is not it. They aren't as rigid as the stock Dunlops and will feel like they're rolling slightly when the pedal is on the floor on a curve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do recommend sticking summer tires on it for as long as you can to truly unleash the car's potential. I can't speak for AS tires as I live in SoCal and don't use them, but for summer tires - there's no doubt that Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is amazing, as is the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport. For something more budget friendly, Firestone Firehawk Indy500 is great. Incredible traction, extremely smooth and quiet, though slightly weaker sidewall than aforementioned tires. Pilot Super Sport should also be considered and even though it's a slightly lesser tire than the new 4S, from what I've read, the 4S has a bit less feedback at the limit.

I am not sure if anyone still reads or reviews this site, but on the recommendation of member 75497 I purchased the ExtremeContact Continental tires about a week ago, because I was absoluly feed up with the way the Dunlop RF tires made my Red Sport move all over the road... Let me just say that I have fallen in love with my Q50 all over again these tires give the car a whole new meaning to comfort handling and grip. I only wish I would have purchase 3 months ago. Definitely recommend the Continental ExtremeContact. I'm glad I found this thread.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts