Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently on the hunt for some nice tires that arent that expensive! So far Ive come down to 2 UHP All Season tires:

Toyo Proxes 4 Plus

Proxes 4 Plus Tires by Toyo - Buy Proxes 4 Plus Online | Tread Depot

- Price comes out to less than $640 for a set with the tire sizes I need(245/35/20 and 275/30/20)
- High Treadwear
- Good Grip and handling in dry and wet
- Have mixed reviews of the ride being noisy or not(dont know which is really true)
- Rides a little harsh(maybe due to the high treadwear)
- Handles turns well

General G-Max AS-03

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=G-Max+AS-03

- Price comes about the same as the Toyo Proxes
- High Treadwear
- Rides Harsh
- Good grip and handling in dry and wet conditions
- Good in turns
- Noisy

Achilles ATR Sport

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Achilles/ATR+Sport

- Seems to be a solid performer in all categories
- Good pricing
- Lower treadwear rating than the tires above @ 400 but less noisy which is a good trade off IMO

Anybody have any other tire recommendations?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well not really dependent on all season but these are the tires that ive seen that fits the bill at least! Any recommendations?

Also have u tried the toyo proxes 4 plus already?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some of the reviews i've seen:

Vehicle:*2009*Infiniti*G37*
Miles Driven on Tires:*2000
Driving Style:*Aggressive
Driving Conditiions:*Combined Highway/City
Would buy Tire Again?:*yes
22 of 22 people found the following review helpful:
Excellent dry grip, very stable in the rain, firm sidewall, great cornering control. Haven't tried these in snow yet but the tread pattern seems like it should at least provide decent snow traction. Tire also is lighter weight than many All-seasons of the same size. I have 245/35/20 front and 295/30/20 rear and the 295s really provide a great launch and very stable ride, quiet too! Very high treadwear rating, should really last much longer than tires costing much more, really didn't expect such great grip w/ such a high treadwear rating. Would most definitely buy this tire again!!

Vehicle:*2005*Cadillac*CTS*
Miles Driven on Tires:*500
Driving Style:*Aggressive
Driving Conditiions:*Combined Highway/City
Would buy Tire Again?:*yes
5 of 6 people found the following review helpful:
I haven't driven long on these tires but am already a fan. Encouraged by Toyo's investment in racing and their 50,000 mile warranty (the Goodyears lasted less than 30,000), they seemed like the right choice. Now that they're on & have a few miles I've realized not only are they cheaper but compared to the Goodyears the Toyos are a softer, stickier compound with lower noise & more overall comfort (even at slightly higher PSI). The biggest post-purchase bonus is they'll let you know to slow down before you end up facing the other way; the Toyos are a lot more forgiving than the Goodyears. Essentially driving w/ stability & traction control off on these Toyos is like driving with it on w/ the Goodyears. Rain performance is about the same but less hydroplaning with the Toyos, probably due to new-tire tread depth though. I'm curious how they will compare in the upcoming Wisconsin winter (which this car should see less than 1000 miles on). All-in-all a thumbs up to the Toyo team on this tire. Perfect fit for my all-season, everyday-driving, high-performance 4-door.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Nitto motivos ?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I can't speak to the quality of that specific tire, but I do have experience with Toyo tires. I had an '87 Chrysler LeBaron(piece of crap car). However, I did have it for three years, and had to get new tires when the original Goodyears wore out. I got Toyos, and immediately, I wondered what happened to the road noise. I didn't realize that the originals were that noisy. When I have to replace the present tires(the Yokohamas that I had the dealer switch from my trade), I'll consider Toyos if they have a comparable tire.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately Nitto Motivos dont come in 275/30/20! :(

Thanks for the recommendation though! :)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't speak to the quality of that specific tire, but I do have experience with Toyo tires. I had an '87 Chrysler LeBaron(piece of crap car). However, I did have it for three years, and had to get new tires when the original Goodyears wore out. I got Toyos, and immediately, I wondered what happened to the road noise. I didn't realize that the originals were that noisy. When I have to replace the present tires(the Yokohamas that I had the dealer switch from my trade), I'll consider Toyos if they have a comparable tire.
Good to hear man! I think the Proxes 4 were the comparable tires to the S. Drives! I've also been hearing good things with the S. Drives but I think they were outclassed by the G-Max AS-03 in a tire rack comparison! Cant remember though if they were exactly thenones going head to head along with 2 other tires!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you looked in to the Hancook V12s? I have those as a summer set on my 19s and love them.
Yea! Love them as well but it seems these might perform better though! Had them on the SSR SP1s of my G35! Only gripe was the treadwear! It was around 300 i believe while the Toyos are 560 and the Generals 500 i think!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well not really dependent on all season but these are the tires that ive seen that fits the bill at least! Any recommendations?

Also have u tried the toyo proxes 4 plus already?
My brother in law has Toyo Proxes 4 plus on his SC430 with 20" rims.
The rears are gone after 12K miles and he drives very slow. The problem
is the negative chamber due to lowering. even when new the wet grip was terrible.

I had the Hankook Evo V12 on my previous 2008 G35S. They were very smooth riding and had very good dry/wet grip. You are right in not wanting to spend much on tires because with lowering the won't last more than 12-15k miles.

You realize that 20" rimes are more for show than performance?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My brother in law has Toyo Proxes 4 plus on his SC430 with 20" rims.
The rears are gone after 12K miles and he drives very slow. The problem
is the negative chamber due to lowering. even when new the wet grip was terrible.

I had the Hankook Evo V12 on my previous 2008 G35S. They were very smooth riding and had very good dry/wet grip. You are right in not wanting to spend much on tires because with lowering the won't last more than 12-15k miles.

You realize that 20" rimes are more for show than performance?
Definitely know thats why i wanted to get more of what I can get for a cheaper price!

Depends on how he was lowered though! Yea there is the factor of negative camber but if u properly set your toe to 0 then you shouldnt be eating through your tires fast!
My hankook v12s and general tires lasted over 20k on mine when I took off my wheels to sell they barely showed any wear in the inner tires and its not like ive been rotating them!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is your budget? I shall help. Or try to.
Well something probably on the same range as these 2 tires! Basically, with 245/35/20 up front and 275/30/20 at the rears they total to about $640 per set! I believe they are a great deal and with that treadwear, I feel that I am getting a lot of bang for my buck! Thats why I wanna see if there are any other tires out there that could debunk even just match my choices so far!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Came across these recently:

The Achilles ATR Sport

Achilles ATR Sport Tire Reviews (80 Reviews)

Seems like a good bang for the buck as well but with a lower treadwear than my first 2 choices but still high @ 400! It seems to top the charts of almost all categories and will seriously consider these! Pricing is good as well @ $120 for 245/35/20 and $155 for 275/30/20!

I might just go for these when my wheels get here! :D

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Falken FK-452's are very nice tires....

So are the Hankook V12s...
Had problems with falken 452s before! Bubbling I believe were common with these tires! :(

Hankooks are definitely nice tires! Higher pricing and lower treadwear though than the ones I have put up! We'll see if I go back to old reliable hankooks! :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a friend with the same tires (also 20" rim). He said he likes them
but he only driven 1K miles. He is a very slow driver, his car is mainly for show.

This tire design is prone to noise as they wear.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.