Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think would be the best tire choice for OEM 18x7.5 wheels on RWD?

1. Square 245/45/18, would it be too tight on 7.5?
2. Rear: 245/45/18, Front: 225/50/18, would it be better for handling?
3. Square 225/50/18.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Circle

·
Registered
2018 Signature.
2,674 Posts
Same as above.

Reactions: Jessie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently have Michelin PS A/S 4 225/50 and feels like it's losing traction too much.
I'm looking into getting one of these summer tires:
Michelin PS 4S (or 5S when available)
Bridgestone Potenza Sport
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

I've been reading that a 245/45 tire on 7.5 will be pinched out and the sidewalls can distort when cornering.
Should I go with a tire that has a more thick/rigid sidewalls? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
737 Posts
245/45 only works on a 7.5" rim because of the larger sidewall. when you drop to a 40 series sidewall, the minimum width goes up to 8" minimum. it would be wise to stick with 8" as a minimum for a 245/45 as well. its still going to squeezed on there. you would really only run that for certain autocross classes.

youre losing traction because youre using a narrow ass all season tire on a 3800lb car with a lot of torque. a 245 all season isnt going to be any better. a uhp tire will be slightly better but youre not going to be hooking with ANY...i repeat...ANY tire short of a drag radial on a rwd Q50 on the street from a dig.

save up for wider wheels and tires, preferably something with 200tw or less if youre serious about hooking up at low speeds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
245/45 only works on a 7.5" rim because of the larger sidewall. when you drop to a 40 series sidewall, the minimum width goes up to 8" minimum. it would be wise to stick with 8" as a minimum for a 245/45 as well. its still going to squeezed on there. you would really only run that for certain autocross classes.

youre losing traction because youre using a narrow ass all season tire on a 3800lb car with a lot of torque. a 245 all season isnt going to be any better. a uhp tire will be slightly better but youre not going to be hooking with ANY...i repeat...ANY tire short of a drag radial on a rwd Q50 on the street from a dig.

save up for wider wheels and tires, preferably something with 200tw or less if youre serious about hooking up at low speeds.

I tried to avoid the wheels upgrade because I want to keep the car looking stock as much as possible. I prefer the stock look and also see too many Q50s and G37s getting pulled over in my area daily, I want to keep “low profile”.

I was hoping I will be able to upgrade tires with current wheels and improve traction. But it seems like if I want anything above 225 it would be better to change wheels…

·
Registered
2018 Signature.
2,674 Posts

I tried to avoid the wheels upgrade because I want to keep the car looking stock as much as possible. I prefer the stock look and also see too many Q50s and G37s getting pulled over in my area daily, I want to keep “low profile”.

I was hoping I will be able to upgrade tires with current wheels and improve traction. But it seems like if I want anything above 225 it would be better to change wheels…
I've had 245/45 on two of my car's, they were great, and the Firehawk's 500 as far as I am concerned work well, I have them on now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had 245/45 on two of my car's, they were great, and the Firehawk's 500 as far as I am concerned work well, I have them on now.
With what wheels diameter/width?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
18"x7.5," and 18"x10". Now I have 255/40/19 x8.5.
Did you notice a difference with the narrow vs wider wheels?
What tires were you running with the 18x7.5?

·
Registered
2018 Signature.
2,674 Posts
Michelin PS-4, and Conti sport 265/40 on the 10".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you tried both setups, do you recommend staying with the 18x7.5 and upgrading to 245/45 tires, or does it worth upgrading to wider wheels?

Traction is a priority but also trying to stay stock and save some $$$.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.
2,674 Posts
Since you tried both setups, do you recommend staying with the 18x7.5 and upgrading to 245/45 tires, or does it worth upgrading to wider wheels?

Traction is a priority but also trying to stay stock and save some $$$.
Stay with your stock wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts