Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally had a chance go drive a Q50. I really like it. However, with being a lifelong Infiniti owner and having never owned anything other than Infiniti I wanted to make sure I did my research.

So, in addition to the Q50. I also drove a 2012 M37. I really like the size of the M37 it was much roomier. I'm tall 5'10 and after driving the Q50 I got in the back seat behind were I was sitting to get a feel for the leg room and the back seat just doesn't seem big enough for me. It's not a major deal breaker now because 95% of the time i'm in the car by myself. However, I do plan to keep the car for to 10-15 years so I might eventually have a kid or two that need to actually sit in the back.

My next stop was to see the new Lincoln MKZ. I was immediately put off by the $2,999 markup on the car. The price was good...from my online research I the inside looked good. However, I don't like the car to pay $3k over MSRP. So, I basically said thanks but no thanks. They claim that all of the dealers in the area are marking up the cars...I'll probably check out another dealer next weekend.

My next stop was to the Acura dealer. I really wasn't expected to see anything that I really liked but I just wanted so that I could officially remove Acura from my list. However...I saw the 2014 RLX and I think I'm in love! The 2014 RLX appears to have just the right mix and space and technology. It has the space that I like in the M37 but i has the dual screens and technology that I like in the Q50. Of course the RLX is more expensive than the Q50.

My next stop was to the Lexus dealership..I test drove an ES350. I really don't want a Lexus because everyone has one. However, I wanted to see for myself. I was surprised that ES350 didn't have the big old person floating on air car feel. It even had the ability to change your drive mode to sports, standard, etc.

My next stop was going to be the local Mercedes dealership to see a 2011 and 2012 E350 that I saw online. However, it started raining so I had to cut my test drive mission short.

So, next week the plan is the look at the following..the preowned E350, Audi, Cadillac, Lincoln (another dealership), BMW (preowned 5 series maybe), Hyundai Genesis

I saw a few older threads about the Acura RLX. Has anyone looked at them recently? I know they are not really on the same level and the RLX is a little closer to the M series. However, any thoughts on the Acura RLX vs the Infiniti Q50? Please keep in mind that I'm not a "sports" driver..I honestly don't care about horsepower and all of that stuff. I'm more concerned with reliability and features. I'm a techie so I really like the dual screens in the Q50 and the RLX. I'm going to keep this car for 10-15 years so I don't want to buy something that's already out dated.

I really like the Q50 but I want to make SURE that this is what I want. Any suggestions for other cars that would give me the space of the M with the features of the Q?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The RLX hasn't been getting good reviews - but that's mostly from the automotive press who always look for a sporty ride. But like you said, you're not a "sports" driver, so I'm sure it's going to be more than enough car for you. Try the Lexus GS350 (higher than the ES - somewhat like a 5 series, more sportier, and "rarer" than the ES. Also has a much nicer dash and screen [12 inches!] than the ES), that's what I ended up getting after doing the same thing as you (went through Infiniti, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Mazda). It usually goes for Invoice (some in the other forums even got it lower than Invoice, depending on the area), and has an additional 2500 off if you're leasing (so at least 2500 off MSRP). Just make sure you're okay with the "mouse" control because while I really like it, not everyone is comfortable using it. The Audis were definitely nice but too much reliability problems if you're going to be owning it past the manufacturer's warranty.

If you're not opposed to non-luxury cars, would also look into the Mazda6.

If you can wait, the new Cadillac CTS also looks really nice. I don't know if they've fixed the issues they have with their Infotainment system though (CUE).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The reason they are selling the 2013 GS350 invoice price is because the 2014 GS350 is coming in September. If you looking to buy a car now, the GS350 is a very good buy. I don't think anyone will regret buying this car, the exterior and interior just looks beautiful. If the Q50 did not come out with a hybrid, I probably would have bought the GS350 already.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to take a good look at the GS now that I know that they are selling at or around invoice.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Yes the M is bigger, but it drives bigger. I traded in my M for the q50 because I hated driving the M after driving my wife's G, it just wasn't fun to drive since it was so big. The RLX is the same way, so I don't think you're really comparing the right cars. Doesn't seem like the Q50 is a good fit for you. I had a GS and the Mouse system is terrible. You have to go through multiple screens to do the most basic features. InTouch is soooo much easier to use. When you check out the lexus, check out how to change the radio presets on the screen. Something that is used all the time and should be very simple and fast. On the Lexus it won't even say the name of the preset, only the channel number. I love that the Q50 says ESPN or 80's on 8.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I got some super hilarious numbers for the GS 350 F Sport after my test drive today. Keep in mind this had a ton of bells and whistles (blind spot warning, Mark Levinson audio, HUD, etc.) but take a gander at this:

Code:
MSRP 61.293.00
Sales price: 58.898.00
Sales price w/adds: 58.898.00
Tax: 3681.13
Lic, Reg, Fees: 260.69
Acquisition fee: 700.00

58% Residual @ 36 months = 35549.94

Term: 36  Miles/yr: 12k  Down: 3357  Payment: 858.32/mo
They were also trying to push some ridiculous "one payment" system where you throw a huge chunk of cash up front, basically 24 months of payments on a 36 month lease. I about fell out of the chair laughing, this is the complete antithesis to leasing to begin with.

The bonuses they included were $2500 lease incentive from LFS, and a token $2395 reduction of the MSRP.

I had these clowns rework the numbers a little and waste 30 minutes of my time, and they came back with these tantalizing gems. These were after I asked for numbers for a short term, sign and drive lease with nothing down. Also they screwed up and went for a base GS 350 for some reason, probably because they wanted to keep the markups and try to get me a little closer to the 500-600/mo zero down I asked for.

Code:
MSRP 54,283
Sales price: 51,888 (2395 off msrp as mentioned before)
Tax: 3,243
License, reg, fees: 260.69
Acq. Fee: 700

68% residual @ 24 months = 36912.44

Term: 24mo  Miles/yr: 12,000  Down: $3334  Payment $834.76
I was stunned. I thought with a shorter term lease and low mileage, the residual jumping up from 58 to 68 would help a lot, especially on a cheaper model. So, my pea brain came to a conclusion: they're killing you on the money factor (and the price is still not close to invoice). I asked the sales manager for the MF and he quoted me .000995 which is 2.38% interest. Not the greatest and not the worst.

What do you guys think of these numbers, is it me or are all the edmunds.com posts regarding cheap SoCal leases on this model full of crap?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I've actually seen a decent share of reviews that do like the Acura RLX. It's like a lot of reviewers might be coming into the RLX carrying with them the tainted expectations left over by the previous RL models. I dunno but it seems like a love it/hate it car.

I absolutely love the design and style of the Lincoln MKZ and I've always wanted to check it out, but I almost feel like I know that I'm not going to like the way it drives.

I'm curious to see what you think about the Hyundai Genesis..

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
SimpsonTide, if you're taller than 5' 9" or so, you will have to mash the driver's seat down low in the MKZ, which raises the dash upper height near eye level. It's very disconcerting. You have no idea where the car ends in the front in this position. I can't remember the last time I saw a dash that tall and intrusive.

Plus, I'd rather stab myself in the eardrums with rusty nails before trying to understand the touch system in that car again.

Also, the rear shelf invades the rear passenger space about 3' or so, leaving next to no room for people in the back. For such a big car outside, it is very, very tiny inside. But hey, there's a ginormous trunk you can fit 10 golf bags into.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got some super hilarious numbers for the GS 350 F Sport after my test drive today. Keep in mind this had a ton of bells and whistles (blind spot warning, Mark Levinson audio, HUD, etc.) but take a gander at this:

Code:
MSRP 61.293.00
Sales price: 58.898.00
Sales price w/adds: 58.898.00
Tax: 3681.13
Lic, Reg, Fees: 260.69
Acquisition fee: 700.00

58% Residual @ 36 months = 35549.94

Term: 36  Miles/yr: 12k  Down: 3357  Payment: 858.32/mo
They were also trying to push some ridiculous "one payment" system where you throw a huge chunk of cash up front, basically 24 months of payments on a 36 month lease. I about fell out of the chair laughing, this is the complete antithesis to leasing to begin with.

The bonuses they included were $2500 lease incentive from LFS, and a token $2395 reduction of the MSRP.

I had these clowns rework the numbers a little and waste 30 minutes of my time, and they came back with these tantalizing gems. These were after I asked for numbers for a short term, sign and drive lease with nothing down. Also they screwed up and went for a base GS 350 for some reason, probably because they wanted to keep the markups and try to get me a little closer to the 500-600/mo zero down I asked for.

Code:
MSRP 54,283
Sales price: 51,888 (2395 off msrp as mentioned before)
Tax: 3,243
License, reg, fees: 260.69
Acq. Fee: 700

68% residual @ 24 months = 36912.44

Term: 24mo  Miles/yr: 12,000  Down: $3334  Payment $834.76
I was stunned. I thought with a shorter term lease and low mileage, the residual jumping up from 58 to 68 would help a lot, especially on a cheaper model. So, my pea brain came to a conclusion: they're killing you on the money factor (and the price is still not close to invoice). I asked the sales manager for the MF and he quoted me .000995 which is 2.38% interest. Not the greatest and not the worst.

What do you guys think of these numbers, is it me or are all the edmunds.com posts regarding cheap SoCal leases on this model full of crap?
I'm in the PNW and got Invoice, before the LFS 2500 lease cash. My MF was something ridiculously low like 0.00004 after 6 MSDs, and they couldn't add any more MSDs as it'd be an MF of 0. MSRP 57K and 590/month payments with zero down. Didn't get the Mark Levinson though as my ears aren't sophisticated enough :)

Something's not adding up with the second bunch of numbers though. Lease payments should be 710/mo including 9.8% taxes at the stated MF without anything down (also first month is covered by LFS). Not sure where the hiccup is but something is being added on. With 9 MSDs, it would go to 630/month after taxes.

EDIT: I see the taxes are collected on the sale price (6.x% of 51K) and not on the total rent amount. I guess it's because of your state. Even with that, should be 790 with the MF you stated (.000995), and 710 with 9 MSDs - all with the 6.25% tax on sale price and not total rent, and with ZERO down (again something's not adding up with their calculations). Also, you should be able to get him down to Invoice or at least Invoice + 500 with some persistence or dealer shopping, should knock another 50-80 bucks off your monthly. Check Edmunds for the Invoice on your specific build. I agree, if they won't go close to Invoice where you are, the Q50 may be a better deal.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I found the GS' on the lots were pretty good deals but I would get mine fully loaded with all of the safety and tech features to match the Q and since there are barely any around they would have to order so no deals and numbers above the Q for lease.

In terms of the Lexus infotainment system, I've said it before but the mouse is a learned input method but a very good one IMHO. Myths failure of the Lexus system is the archaic menu structures and terrible programming, I was I. My wife's RX the other day and I was trying to scroll through artists to get from the A's to Rush. Literally took 3 or 4 minutes to 'fast' scroll through the alphabet. The comments about the presets is right on and you have to go though so many difference les to do minor things.

I would definitely do a long test drive - even overnight - drive for a while. Use the system and we for yourself. You may end up liking it.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
SimpsonTide, if you're taller than 5' 9" or so, you will have to mash the driver's seat down low in the MKZ, which raises the dash upper height near eye level. It's very disconcerting. You have no idea where the car ends in the front in this position. I can't remember the last time I saw a dash that tall and intrusive.

Plus, I'd rather stab myself in the eardrums with rusty nails before trying to understand the touch system in that car again.

Also, the rear shelf invades the rear passenger space about 3' or so, leaving next to no room for people in the back. For such a big car outside, it is very, very tiny inside. But hey, there's a ginormous trunk you can fit 10 golf bags into.
I've driven in Lincolns and Fords before and I'm 5'10"--so I don't think there'd be a problem. :) I sat in one back in January at the NAIAS.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I got a 2013 awd gs350 that was 56,300 for $599 a month with only 1st month payment down. Just 27 months of $599 and that is it everything else rolled in and this was for 15k miles.. I got it on July 4th week so those number are out of control.. They quoted me 685 for the fsport awd same with 685 due at signing .. For 27 months I just took a regular one and saved $85 a month..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello I'm new to the forum, but have lurked for awhile. This past week I just had a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid for a 48 hour test drive and an Infiniti Q50S Hybrid (RWD) for darn near a 48 hour test drive (got lucky & salesman's day off was the next day and it was the "Valet Plus" - we bring the car to you deal). And since there were comments here about the MKZ in relation to the Q50, I thought I would chime in with a few impressions. I'll try to post more in-depth ones in later posts.

Between the two, if you're looking for a "Sports" sedan, then the Q50 is the only choice. It handles and performs as what it is built to be - a 3 series type sports sedan that is also luxurious - and with the Hybrid, a little better with the MPG. Whereas the MKZ is more of a pure mid-size luxury car that is a smidge sporty - certainly gorgeous in the looks department with its redesign. The MKZ feels more "comfortable" and IMO more roomy. Certainly hybrid to hybrid, the MKZ trunk is 2-3 times a large. The Q50's trunk is almost a joke - couldn't that battery pack have been designed to not steal away half or more the trunk space?? Also the MKZ Hybrid yields half again the MPG of the Q50 Hybrid (45 vs. 30). But for that extra MPG, you have the trade-off of less HP and torque. And that is something your really feel in driving - hence the MKZ is simply not in the sports sedan class. The Q50 even in a Hybrid, is still a beast of a sports sedan!

I enjoyed and liked driving each one and each has different strengths and weaknesses. And being a very tall guy (6'5") I had no issues with seat comfort, visibility, or overall fit in either car. So I would disagree with Afrosheen's assessment that tall drivers would have an issue in the MKZ. I even think that the hood was perhaps a little easier to see over/affords greater visibility than the Q50. But I though both were fine for me.

Lots of people complain about the My Ford/Lincoln "Touch" system, but I didn't have a problem with it. Sure it has its issues, but darn near every car system out there does - none are spot-on perfect for every person. There were things I liked about the Lincoln system better and things that the Infiniti did better. Both upgrade stereo systems were superb (THX in MKZ, Bose in Q50). Though I might give a slight edge to the THX system. Speaker's sounded better with my iPhone/iPod test songs in it than they did with the Bose. But it wasn't that far apart.

For rear-seating, I thought the MKZ had more room and was more comfortable. I never rode in the back of either, but it seemed like my daughter's booster seat was easier to get in and out of the MKZ over the Q50. For sure the split fold-down rear seats in the MKZ Hybrid were a huge plus over the giant-arse battery pack blocking the rear seats totally in the Q50! I already mentioned the trunk space. At least Lincoln got it right and made the battery lower to where you can store space above the battery pack and have split fold-down seats where you could run long items through there when needed. That's just not an option in the Q50.

More to come later. Thanks everyone for all the great info, comments, and photos here! The Q50 is WAY fun to drive and is very sharp in styling!!

Reactions: MsNiecey

·
Registered
139 Posts
vices,

Yes I did. Though I haven't got very far - no price negotiations or anything close at this point. But so far I would highly recommend Grubbs Infiniti here in DFW (on 183/Airport Freeway in Euless). I did and build & price on a Hybrid S AWD on Infiniti.com and then did the "Contact a Retailer" which put me in touch with Grubbs Infiniti. An hour or so later I got an email from the dealer telling me about their "Valet Plus" test drive service - where they bring the test drive vehicle to your location for a no-obligation 24 test drive. A salesman then contacted me, we made arrangements for the test drive date/time, I sent him my info (DL copy & insurance) and then he brought out the car - a super nice guy (Jeff Armstrong) who was never pushy or trying any kind of hard sell smooze - seems to be a first-class guy. Brought the car to my work on Tuesday, drove my old piece back to the dealership, then he came back in mine and picked up the Q50 just before noon today on Thursday (he was off on Wednesday). Again, I haven't gone too far into the process as yet. But just from the ease of their Valet test drive, I would certainly be inclined to buy a car from them. That impression could always change down the road, but for now I'm VERY impressed with them - AND the Q50!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello I'm new to the forum, but have lurked for awhile. This past week I just had a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid for a 48 hour test drive and an Infiniti Q50S Hybrid (RWD) for darn near a 48 hour test drive (got lucky & salesman's day off was the next day and it was the "Valet Plus" - we bring the car to you deal). And since there were comments here about the MKZ in relation to the Q50, I thought I would chime in with a few impressions. I'll try to post more in-depth ones in later posts.
Nice review! These are 2 car options I've been looking into as well. How do you think the AWD V6 MKS would have lined up with the Q50S? Might narrow the gap in the sports feel and performance. Luxury fit and finish in the Lincoln you find better or worse than the Infiniti?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.