Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to wet some appetites.....I just walked back inside from my driveway where I had my phone mirrored to the top screen, showing JB4 gauges, Google Maps, etc. The car was in drive and rolling......MORE TO COME! ;) Total cost was ~$50.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Just to wet some appetites.....I just walked back inside from my driveway where I had my phone mirrored to the top screen, showing JB4 gauges, Google Maps, etc. The car was in drive and rolling......MORE TO COME! ;) Total cost was ~$50.
Do tell?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Looking so forward to the info on this!!!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,687 Posts
Dude, it's not just my appetite that you made me wet! ;) This is all I want. A non or minimally invasive, affordable, mod simply to mirror phone apps, primarily waze. I don't want to replace one or both screens. I don't want a Tesla screen. I don't want any more bells than mirroring. Please do tell!! :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
OoOoO

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll get some pics up in a couple days when the right cables arrive (come on Amazon Prime) and I also want to go for a drive to confirm there isn't a silly speed limitation. The cables I used to prove the concept are obnoxiously long. It will require a single wire being either put on a toggle switch or grounded out and it is not the one from page 14 of this thread I found:
Someone had a YouTube video about the parking brake, but they didn't understand how the wiring working on the parking brake switch because it's a single wire. I tested it and it worked.

Like everything, there are limitations to this. It's not a silver bullet. I.E. you have to play audio/voice through the aux and you must keep the phone screen on and in landscape mode and navigate with your phone. It's not like Android Auto/Apple Carplay where you can touch the screen and control your phone. But, if you want to see your phone notifications, use a GOOD GPS with turn by turn directions, have your JB4/Ecutek gauges on the top screen, or have a passenger use another app on the upper screen....this is for you.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,687 Posts
Very nice. Good work. I was hoping for upper screen touch control though. Bummer.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
So essentially AUX video and audio inputs from a smartphone and a SPST switch to fool the system into thinking the car is stationary. Bluetooth receiver that converts to analog RCA video and audio outputs?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So essentially AUX video and audio inputs from a smartphone and a SPST switch to fool the system into thinking the car is stationary. Bluetooth receiver that converts to analog RCA video and audio outputs?
Close. New phones have a screen mirroring feature that uses wifi, but doesn't actually require a hotspot. Miracast, scream beam, etc. The screen mirroring adapters are usually HDMI out and you can get them in thumb drive size. Convert to RCA/aux for audio and video. The switch is actually to fool the car into thinking the parking brake is pressed while not having it pressed. Should be able to accommodate with a positap and simple toggle switch for when you want to use the feature.

I've found old threads where people said they used the same adapter types but required the NAVIKS bypass module and plugging into the phone directly. Then I found the 1 pic fr the thread I linked and found pin 31 referenced is the speed input to the display unit. Then I found the YouTube video talking about the parking brake, but he couldn't get it to work. I tested the setup and it didn't matter regarding gear, but in order to mirror video you do have to resolve the parking brake issue. I just took a piece from each of these and put them together into something that ACTUALLY works for $50 and is easy to do.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
I had to check and see if the first post of this thread was on April 1.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Screenbeam and Miracast are for Android. How about iOS devices?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
Naviks has a few new items other than their motion lock out which my passenger finds useful. They can access grayed out functions while we are moving.
mirroring <-not sure any of these help.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Screenbeam and Miracast are for Android. How about iOS devices?
EZcast is the same type of adapter that supports iOS devices. Installed 1 for our VP and it worked like a champ on his old iphone.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Naviks has a few new items other than their motion lock out which my passenger finds useful. They can access grayed out functions while we are moving.
mirroring <-not sure any of these help.
Completely agree. If you want to ungray out factory NAV addresses and stuff you need something more complex. This is a quick and easy for those who want their phone gauges or Waze or something on the upper screen.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Dude, it's not just my appetite that you made me wet! ;) This is all I want. A non or minimally invasive, affordable, mod simply to mirror phone apps, primarily waze. I don't want to replace one or both screens. I don't want a Tesla screen. I don't want any more bells than mirroring. Please do tell!! :D
Ditto. I'm all ears on this one. Have iPhone.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
81 Posts
It would be super cool to mirror my ECU Connect dashboards on the upper screen. Subscribed.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is a good "bargain" solution but it's a bit clunky. Aside from price why not just get one of the joyeauto units and have it all streamlined?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is a good "bargain" solution but it's a bit clunky. Aside from price why not just get one of the joyeauto units and have it all streamlined?
I think several have voiced in the past they're not really comfortable with tearing out the dash and disassembling the top screen to install the additional circuit card. I went through THREE MK2 Tesla screens and finally said forget it and went back to stock because it just wasn't stable enough and had quality issues. Like I said, its not a silver bullet and there are limitations, but if you just want to get your phone apps up on a screen, this works and its cheap and wireless.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts