Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently went to test drive a new Q50 as I am seriously considering purchasing one. I really liked everything about the car during the test drive except for one, the touch screens' responsiveness.

Swiping between screens was very slow and stuttered often and sometimes I had to tap multiple times for it to register. I was really hoping the response levels would be on par with that of a smart phone or tablet considering how new this car is.

The salesman who didn't seem very knowledgeable mentioned that the computer would take a little while longer to boot up since it had to "update" which I found suspect. I also read online in reviews that this may be due to a pre-production glitch.

Has anyone else had issues with the touch displays and know of a possible cause?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
They are working diligently on rolling on further software updates. I find you need to make sure you touch the screen exactly where the soft button is. I also just hit the < and > button to scroll instead of trying to swipe. But, they are working on making it faster and cleaning up some of the bugs we've found on the forum.

The car is amazing though, and I wouldn't let that stop you from buying. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

The apps do take about 30-40 seconds to fully load once you start the car. The bottom screen should say "Loading all apps" when you first turn the car on, then once it is completely loaded it will say "Loading completed"

Reactions: maddsiick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah this isn't stopping me from buying or anything. It's just only thing that bothered me. I assume this will be a free update that we have to take our car into the dealer for.

I was reading the Active Topics thread and noticed a topic on enabling the apps to run that mentioned a soon to be released update but nothing on this particular issue.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I'm confident enough to believe that they will make the system better over time. With enough feedback from us, they will be able to make it better than its current state.

Still an awesome car though! :)

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
It can be laggy, and I hope it improves after update.

Also did not know the source code is based on Android 2.3.
I am the one who originally reported that, but I only think that the App Garage is based on Android. The main operating system is likely custom.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I am the one who originally reported that, but I only think that the App Garage is based on Android. The main operating system is likely custom.
i think the whole InTouch system is Android based, not just the app garage. This system is separate and distinct from the system on the navigation, and all the safety features in the tech package.

Just call it a hunch though, Nothing to go on. May be a question to ask the engineers (though I doubt they will answer).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Responsiveness could be improved by using newer version of Android and dedicated multi-core graphics processor (GPU).
Smartphones and tablets are much faster mostly because of those 2 things.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Responsiveness could be improved by using newer version of Android and dedicated multi-core graphics processor (GPU).
Smartphones and tablets are much faster mostly because of those 2 things.
Yes! Responsiveness and fluidity got much better in later versions of Android, although as you said, it's in part because of a dedicated GPU in devices. We take responsiveness of our phones and tablets for granted now, so anything less is really noticeable.

I think that everything will be faster in later versions of the Q50, but I'm not so sure how much the existing system this year can be optimized. It's not terrible, but it's nowhere near parity with today's android and iOS devices.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes! Responsiveness and fluidity got much better in later versions of Android, although as you said, it's in part because of a dedicated GPU in devices. We take responsiveness of our phones and tablets for granted now, so anything less is really noticeable.
I don't have specs but it looks like InTouch is using in Q50 Intel integrated graphics. And Intel chips were never ever ever ever known as good performers. Partially because of the drivers but mostly because of design decisions that make them cheaper but loose competition really hard to ATI and Nvidia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my car last week and everything was good. This week, My lower screen constantly says "Loading All Apps" and doesn't ever finish loading the apps or allow me to access the preloaded apps on page 2. Also, how do I load other apps like Facebook, pandora, etc. Can someone help me?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my car last week and everything was good. This week, My lower screen constantly says "Loading All Apps" and doesn't ever finish loading the apps or allow me to access the preloaded apps on page 2. Also, how do I load other apps like Facebook, pandora, etc. Can someone help me?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ugh, mine takes forever too. Seems to be a thing. Dealer told me I received the latest update before I took delivery so I would hate to see what it was like before. I have to wait until it loads the apps until I put it into sport mode before I take off after each restart. Totally annoying.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You don't have to wait for the Intouch to finish loading to put it in Sport mode. Just go ahead and put it in Sport mode and drive while the Intouch is still loading, it should be OK.
Now, I would wait until the Intouch finished loading before I use the Intouch. Reason is because Intoch is more responsive (probably more stable) after it finished loading.

Ugh, mine takes forever too. Seems to be a thing. Dealer told me I received the latest update before I took delivery so I would hate to see what it was like before. I have to wait until it loads the apps until I put it into sport mode before I take off after each restart. Totally annoying.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
You can drive the car once he green indicator light with two arrows come on and change the drive mode to what ever you want and system will load with in 30 seconds wile you are driving but you won't have some of the functions will not be available.

Video

You don't have to wait for the Intouch to finish loading to put it in Sport mode. Just go ahead and put it in Sport mode and drive while the Intouch is still loading, it should be OK.
Now, I would wait until the Intouch finished loading before I use the Intouch. Reason is because Intoch is more responsive (probably more stable) after it finished loading.
yes- it is

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks +1 and cvi. Good to know.

+1, well I don't have to wait as long as I thought but it is not immediate. I have to wait until the car in the center screen between the tach and speedo does its tumble thing before I can set it into sport/personal mode.

I had to turn off the welcome screen cause it would ask who I was after I was already down the street. So that is pretty slow generally speaking.

Another thing that bugs me is sometimes the touch response is slow kind of distracting as I drive and have to make sure that I have hit the button or not and have to double check that the icon I select was actually selected or if I really do have to hit it again.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts

+1, well I don't have to wait as long as I thought but it is not immediate. I have to wait until the car in the center screen between the tach and speedo does its tumble thing before I can set it into sport/personal mode.

I had to turn off the welcome screen cause it would ask who I was after I was already down the street. So that is pretty slow generally speaking.

Another thing that bugs me is sometimes the touch response is slow kind of distracting as I drive and have to make sure that I have hit the button or not and have to double check that the icon I select was actually selected or if I really do have to hit it again.
thanks, actually the steering wheel controls are faster... or the center console wheel

Video

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Watch this video:

Notice when turn on the car and probably wait like 12 seconds, I flip the drive mode select switch, the VID screen show Sport immediately.
The Nav screen took about 28 seconds to display the drive mode selector.
The entire loading process took about 54 seconds. The Welcome screen took about 48 seconds to show up.
So, you can pretty much can put it in Sport mode or Personal mode within 10 seconds.

As for the Intouch responsiveness, make sure you got at least the September or latest v1.9 update on your Intouch system.
Some dealer might not do the update when they deliver the car.

Reactions: cvipgo
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.