Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
That's my main worry. I don't want it throwing a tire pressure light if it gets to that point. If it doesn't but its still faulty, I can ignore it.

I'm actually not. The cold/non-driven PSI on the car is 34-36 PSI. The 37-39 PSI that was shown yesterday is a result of me driving home for about 30 minutes and it was a rather hot day too..
Got it.

If that sensor continues to drop its reading until it's below the low air pressure setpoint and trips the low tire pressure warning, I don't think that will clear on your information display and will remain on until the pressure reading is corrected. I don't believe you can cancel it either.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got it.

If that sensor continues to drop its reading until it's below the low air pressure setpoint and trips the low tire pressure warning, I don't think that will clear on your information display and will remain on until the pressure reading is corrected. I don't believe you can cancel it either.
This is what I'm afraid of because I'm lazy to go change out that sensor. Lol.

I haven't driven the car today. I'll see what happens tomorrow when I start it up. Hopefully it fixes itself. xD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive had my car just over a month and when I first got it the front left was 37 and others were around 30. Put air in them and a few days later the front right was off by 4 psi and just a few days ago the back right was off by 5 psi. It seems the tpms dont start reading until Im like 5 miles down the road. Ive never had a car take that long to register the pressure. This is on my 2016 RS should I have the dealer look at it?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ive had my car just over a month and when I first got it the front left was 37 and others were around 30. Put air in them and a few days later the front right was off by 4 psi and just a few days ago the back right was off by 5 psi. It seems the tpms dont start reading until Im like 5 miles down the road. Ive never had a car take that long to register the pressure. This is on my 2016 RS should I have the dealer look at it?
I can't comment on your PSI being off by 4-5 PSI. From what I do know is that the TPMS is sometimes never 100% accurate but I wouldn't think its off by 5 PSI. 5 is a lot, like my front left wheel, which is off by like 9.

But - the TPMS registering the PSI for our Infiniti does take awhile. I have had experiences where it took a few miles for all 4 tire pressures to read. I think this is normal. Sometimes takes longer than others. It also depends on driving speed too, I think.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Yeah. I'm okay with like 1-2 PSI margin of error. But its strange that is about 7-9 PSI difference from what it really is.
Oops. I didn't notice that huge variation in your original post. Yup, that is a lot. That makes it almost useless as a warning device. I would first see if the dealer will replace it under warranty. Otherwise, they are not very expensive. The 2014-2015 sensors (like mine) are stupid expensive. I paid about $90 each when I got my winter setup five years ago.

Could you imagine flying in an airplane where its altimeter was off by 20%?

Reactions: Avedis53

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
The TPMS will activate only after the vehicle is driven at speeds above 16 MPH. There's nothing wrong with that aspect of your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand the 16mph but I drive 1/4 mile at 45 mph and the a few miles at 70mph for at least 5 miles before they start reporting. Was just curious if it should take that long to register. If I keep see a fluctuation of 8 psi on different tires I find it hard to believe I have a slow leak in each of the tires.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
I understand the 16mph but I drive 1/4 mile at 45 mph and the a few miles at 70mph for at least 5 miles before they start reporting. Was just curious if it should take that long to register. If I keep see a fluctuation of 8 psi on different tires I find it hard to believe I have a slow leak in each of the tires.
What you are describing as far as activation delay is typical and nothing to be concerned about. The fluctuation of indicated tire pressures isn't.

Your car is about 5 years old? TPMS sensor batteries last 5-7 years but their lifetime is dependent on how many miles you drive. The more miles you drive, the more time the sensors are activated and transmitting pressure data to the car, hence more battery drain.

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Registered
557 Posts
To go back on this, I think its a faulty gauge or its not calibrated correctly your using. I work at MB, and had my tech swap out my winters last night. He said he filled it up to 36. But when I started driving, all the sensors were showing 40. Got home, tested PSI using a electronic tire gauge a tire supplier gave me. Showed 40 on all corners, so I let some air out of all the tires. Showed 36 on the gauge and drove to work next morning and all sensors were showing 36/37.

Reactions: DrJason

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
To go back on this, I think its a faulty gauge or its not calibrated correctly your using. I work at MB, and had my tech swap out my winters last night. He said he filled it up to 36. But when I started driving, all the sensors were showing 40. Got home, tested PSI using a electronic tire gauge a tire supplier gave me. Showed 40 on all corners, so I let some air out of all the tires. Showed 36 on the gauge and drove to work next morning and all sensors were showing 36/37.
So basically letting the actual PSI air out from 40 to 36 fixed the sensor issue for you?

·
Registered
557 Posts
So basically letting the actual PSI air out from 40 to 36 fixed the sensor issue for you?
Correct. Over-filled so let air out to correct PSI. I dont want a tire blowout on the highway cuz 40 then, could reach up to 45 on highway speeds but doubtful now cuz its winter here.

Before my winter swap, my tires were low. Used one of the techs tire gauge and filled up and again, to 36. But tires were 39 on TPMS. Grabbed another techs brand new electronic gauge with tire inflator, released most of the air out, and then re-filled it up again to 36. This time, no correction needed. TPMS showed same levels.

So some tire gauges are not like others.

Reactions: DrJason

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Correct. Over-filled so let air out to correct PSI. I dont want a tire blowout on the highway cuz 40 then, could reach up to 45 on highway speeds but doubtful now cuz its winter here.

Before my winter swap, my tires were low. Used one of the techs tire gauge and filled up and again, to 36. But tires were 39 on TPMS. Grabbed another techs brand new electronic gauge with tire inflator, released most of the air out, and then re-filled it up again to 36. This time, no correction needed. TPMS showed same levels.

So some tire gauges are not like others.
I'll give this try later today and report back. I'll double check the tire pressure and then deflate the front left and refill it back up to see what happens.

Thanks for you reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its a 2018 with 24k miles and lol Ive leased my cars for more than a few years so guess Ive never had to worry about the batteries of the sensors going bad. Will just keep and eye on it and since still under warranty take it in before it expires.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
Its a 2018 with 24k miles and lol Ive leased my cars for more than a few years so guess Ive never had to worry about the batteries of the sensors going bad. Will just keep and eye on it and since still under warranty take it in before it expires.
Are TPMS sensors covered by the limited warranty? I don't know for sure but I think so.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
UPDATE

My RHINO air pressure gauge came early (today) and I was able to read all of my cold/non-driven PSI before pulling the car out of the garage.

I found out that my TPMS was indeed accurate but they were reporting in reverse or mirrored of each other. What I mean by this is that: my left side wheels PSI are shown on the right side of the TPMS display and the right side wheels PSI are shown on the left side of the TPMS display. I have no idea how this happened. Maybe my friend accidently placed the TPMS sensors on the wrong side?

After I realized this, I double checked the front right tire to make sure there was no puncture or nail. The tire, again, was in perfect condition.

Is there a way to fix this without removing all 4 wheels and placing them back in their proper location?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
UPDATE

My RHINO air pressure gauge came early (today) and I was able to read all of my cold/non-driven PSI before pulling the car out of the garage.

I found out that my TPMS was indeed accurate but they were reporting in reverse or mirrored of each other. What I mean by this is that: my left side wheels PSI are shown on the right side of the TPMS display and the right side wheels PSI are shown on the left side of the TPMS display. I have no idea how this happened. Maybe my friend accidently placed the TPMS sensors on the wrong side?

After I realized this, I double checked the front right tire to make sure there was no puncture or nail. The tire, again, was in perfect condition.

Is there a way to fix this without removing all 4 wheels and placing them back in their proper location?
You replaced the tires or wheels and the TPMS sensors aren't in their original, programmed location? Is this correct? That's new information then.

If so, your TPMS sensor ID's need to be registered again so the car associates the sensors to the proper location on the display. This requires an activation tool or a CONSULT. There may be an alternate procedure that doesn't require a tool but I haven't found one yet. Others may know though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You replaced the tires or wheels and the TPMS sensors aren't in their original, programmed location? Is this correct? That's new information then.

If so, your TPMS sensor ID's need to be registered again so the car associates the sensors to the proper location on the display. This requires an activation tool or a CONSULT. There may be an alternate procedure that doesn't require a tool but I haven't found one yet. Others may know though.
Yeah. I replaced both my tires and wheels. And my friend helped my with the whole process. I wasn't there when he did it. He might have placed the TPMS not in their original programmed location.

Oh. So a tool is mandatory? I was assuming I can just jack up my cars and switch the wheels back to the right side. Is that possible?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
Yeah. I replaced both my tires and wheels. And my friend helped my with the whole process. I wasn't there when he did it. He might have placed the TPMS not in their original programmed location.

Oh. So a tool is mandatory? I was assuming I can just jack up my cars and switch the wheels back to the right side. Is that possible?
That would be preferable if there isn't a reason for the tires and wheels to be where they are currently. There may be an alternate method that doesn't require a registration tool but I'm not aware of one. I'm assuming that you've driven on the wheels/tires in their current location long enough and fast enough for the sensors to register on their own if that was the issue. I'm thinking you have and they still haven't registered themselves.

Reactions: DrJason and rpiotro

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts

A local tire shop can probably re-register your TPMS sensors with their tool in 5 minutes. A lot easier than moving all four tires.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
A local tire shop can probably re-register your TPMS sensors with their tool in 5 minutes. A lot easier than moving all four tires.
This

21 - 40 of 46 Posts