Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Wondering whether I need to (or have the dealership) do anything special with regards to the Q's TPMS.

I plan to keep the run flats for a few months and then swap them out for winter tires. A few questions.

Where are the sensors located? The wheels?

If I buy new wheels with the winter tires, do I need to buy new sensors and have these program?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi All,

Wondering whether I need to (or have the dealership) do anything special with regards to the Q's TPMS.

I plan to keep the run flats for a few months and then swap them out for winter tires. A few questions.

If I buy new wheels with the winter tires, do I need to buy new sensors and have these program?
Yep, located on the wheels.

I bought separate sensors for my winter tires on my Equinox. While it is possible to move them between the two, it is a major PITA and in the end you'll end up spending as much having them moved as buying a 2nd set.

You can probably buy 3rd party sensors (they tend to be fairly standard) thought I'm not sure about the Q50

Usually, again haven't researched on the Q, when you change out the tires, you do a sequence of steps (on my Equinox, it is part of the vehicle app) that "rediscovers" the new monitors (on the Equinox, I start the app and then let air out of each tire until the horn beeps - then move onto the next tire).

·
Registered
118 Posts
No worries. Whomever swaps out the tires will just reinstall the current sensors with the new tires and that is it. Once you start driving it takes a few minutes to calibrate and then they will work like normal.
But I usually have smaller diameter wheels (obviously different wheels) with a taller side wall for the winter tires. Hence, need a whole new wheel, sensor and tire sitting in my garage. PITA to have the sensors re-programmed on my Wife's Honda Odyssey and Daughters Prius. Wish they had a protocol for all cars to retrain sensors.

Luckily, my 2005 TL has no sensors. Just swap the tires. Wish I had a no sensor option, frankly.

Otherwise, is there a procedure in the Q50 like SnowItch explained for the Equinox?

·
Registered
432 Posts
But I usually have smaller diameter wheels (obviously different wheels) with a taller side wall for the winter tires. Hence, need a whole new wheel, sensor and tire sitting in my garage. PITA to have the sensors re-programmed on my Wife's Honda Odyssey and Daughters Prius. Wish they had a protocol for all cars to retrain sensors.

Luckily, my 2005 TL has no sensors. Just swap the tires. Wish I had a no sensor option, frankly.

Otherwise, is there a procedure in the Q50 like SnowItch explained for the Equinox?
Oh ok I missed that. Where are you located?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Latrant;175818 Otherwise said:
I just looked in the owner's manual and didn't see anything. I'll continue to search (want to know the answer as well). I'll report back if I find anything.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hmmm....

I'm still looking, but a look at the service manual makes me believe that the sensors have to be reset by the dealer.

"TPMS ID registration can be performed using one of the following procedures:
• Transmitter Activation tool (J-45295-A) with CONSULT (preferred method)
• Signal Tech II tool (J-50190) with CONSULT (preferred method)
• Signal Tech II tool (J-50190) without CONSULT
• CONSULT only"

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi All,

From the repair manual:

"Tire Pressure Sensor
A tire pressure sensor integrated with a valve is installed in each
wheel , and transmits a detected air pressure signal in the form of
a radio wave. The radio signal is received by the remote keyless
entry receiver (tire pressure receiver)."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From the repair manual:

"Tire Pressure Sensor
A tire pressure sensor integrated with a valve is installed in each
wheel , and transmits a detected air pressure signal in the form of
a radio wave. The radio signal is received by the remote keyless
entry receiver (tire pressure receiver)."
Thanks, SnowItch. Sounds like it may involve dealership reset. I'm picking up the Q50 today so will ask them to confirm.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Found this on a G35 forum:

"Like most of you I have summer and winter wheels , each with tire pressure sensors. I have been searching for a DIY so I do not have to take my vehicle to the dealer every time I swap my wheels to register the tpms wheel sensors. "

As I read further into the thread, they discussed a $300-$500 tool that would activate the monitors.

I think the Q50 is going to run with all season tires (the only reason I have "winter" tires for my Equinox is because I got a unbelievable deal on 18" rims and tires - it came standard with 19" but I prefer 18" for winter driving).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found this on a G35 forum:

"Like most of you I have summer and winter wheels , each with tire pressure sensors. I have been searching for a DIY so I do not have to take my vehicle to the dealer every time I swap my wheels to register the tpms wheel sensors. "

As I read further into the thread, they discussed a $300-$500 tool that would activate the monitors.

I think the Q50 is going to run with all season tires (the only reason I have "winter" tires for my Equinox is because I got a unbelievable deal on 18" rims and tires - it came standard with 19" but I prefer 18" for winter driving).
Could always get the Nokian WR G2 (All Weather). I had these for my Bimmer and they were great.

I'm hoping they will have for 19" as I would like to slap them onto my new Q50. Checking their website last week, they do not yet.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Did anyone find a resolution to this or do we have to go to the dealer each time to reset them?
I don't believe that you have to go to the dealer. I do believe that you have to buy the tool mentioned earlier, or go to a tire shop that has the capability to do the same function.

·
Registered
574 Posts
just got off the phone with Infiniti service dept, I called because I will be swapping my 17s to 19s this weekend and it requires me removing the TPMS from my old 17s to the new 19s.

This is basically what the dealer told me, IF only just swapping the tires you DO NOT need to recalibrated the TPMS. BUT, if you are switch to new wheels when you take out the TPMS you need to MAKE SURE you put back to the same side of wheel you take off. (if you remove left front TPMS it must go back to left front) otherwise you will have to bring back to dealer to get it recalibrated.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
585 Posts
just got off the phone with Infiniti service dept, I called because I will be swapping my 17s to 19s this weekend and it requires me removing the TPMS from my old 17s to the new 19s.

This is basically what the dealer told me, IF only just swapping the tires you DO NOT need to recalibrated the TPMS. BUT, if you are switch to new wheels when you take out the TPMS you need to MAKE SURE you put back to the same side of wheel you take off. (if you remove left front TPMS it must go back to left front) otherwise you will have to bring back to dealer to get it recalibrated.

Hope this helps.
That makes sense. Makes it a real pain to rotate your own tires or switch to winter tires.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.