Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0T RWD
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off I have a 2017 Q50 3.0 T Premium. I have read that some choose not to listen to the dealer or service manual about the transmission not needing service. What are thoughts on this? Does the transmission fluid really last the life of the car or should I get it changed at a shop?
Car has 91,000 miles on it. It’s a used car that I bought and when I bought it it had 90000 on it so I have no clue what the last owner did or didn’t do.
Any input is appreciated.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,263 Posts
To start off I have a 2017 Q50 3.0 T Premium. I have read that some choose not to listen to the dealer or service manual about the transmission not needing service. What are thoughts on this? Does the transmission fluid really last the life of the car or should I get it changed at a shop?
Car has 91,000 miles on it. It’s a used car that I bought and when I bought it it had 90000 on it so I have no clue what the last owner did or didn’t do.
Any input is appreciated.
Change it now! 91K miles takes its toll on ATF. I'll bet you'll notice the difference in the shifting afterwards.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,030 Posts
Change it. My fluid looked terrible at 35k! The Japanese fluid (at least Honda and Nissan in my experience) breaks down quickly. "Lifetime fluid" should be renamed to "bet you don't have trouble before your warranty runs out fluid". Not sure carmakers motivation for specifying lifetime. Small impact on total cost of ownership metrics can't be worth the bad taste left in an owners mouth if the transmission goes before even 200k miles.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,731 Posts
You should do all the fluids, if you are going to keep the car, I did my at 50k, miles and noticed the difference.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,283 Posts
If you drive like a grandma then correct no need to change it… I changed mine at 30k because I’m no old lady.
I'm probably good until 500k.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,263 Posts
I'll be doing an ATF drain and fill when my 25K oil change comes up in the near future. I just did my diffs and transfer case fluids at 20K.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,731 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Hey Pill, when was the last time you put gas in your car.:)
I average about once a month and I fill up when it gets down to the half way mark.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,263 Posts
Reactions: mapleDom

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
There is no such thing as lifetime fluid.... no matter how you define "lifetime". It doesn't exist with automobiles.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Not sure carmakers motivation for specifying lifetime.
It’s directly related to JD Power awards. The less maintenance they say you have to do, the better scores they get for cost of ownership. Just like the 10,000 mi OCI. It’s bull just to give them a selling point.

Reactions: q50adix and Pillboy

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,263 Posts
Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
If you only plan to own the car for a lease then
There is no such thing as lifetime fluid.... no matter how you define "lifetime". It doesn't exist with automobiles.
Very much this, fluid will breakdown over time due to the repeated heat cycles as well as contamination
over time. The "Life-Time" claims Automakers use is largely nonsense and typically means
for the "duration of the warranty".

If you plan to keep any car with an automatic its good to change the transmission fluids every 50-60K miles or so.
To be clear if you are having a shop do the work make sure they under stand its a "Change" not a flush.

Those are two different things entirely.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
It’s directly related to JD Power awards. The less maintenance they say you have to do, the better scores they get for cost of ownership. Just like the 10,000 mi OCI. It’s bull just to give them a selling point.
At least the computer in the car has some algorithm that does a bit better job than what the table in the manual suggests.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.