Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you have seen my post on black chrome for the trim. I'm now trying out some other, less permanent, options. I am testing both Plasti Dip and wrap for the trim pieces. Don't know how far to take it, so doing it bit by bit for now. See the B&W picture below, I do like how the chrome on the windows and front highlight the car's lines. The one place I feel interrupts the side profile of the car is the door handles. Having spare vinyl, I wrapped them as a test. I am liking this on OB as it blends nicely with a unique look up close.

Input?

Also, now sporting a 50/50 black gloss/carbon fiber look on the rear wing. Pictures suck, I know. No more full pictures in the sun until after the weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Hmmm...i dont know! Feels kinda out of place IMO! I would rather go all black door handles or keep it stock!

Reactions: cvipgo

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...i dont know! Feels kinda out of place IMO! I would rather go all black door handles or keep it stock!
Now I have to think about testing black gloss vinyl or dip on the handles. I guess it will depend on if I black out the window trim and front grill surround. Not making this easy. My wife is thinking I'm having an affair in the garage. :) Just wait until I start deciding on what to do with wheels...at present I'm loving some Foregstar F14's staggered and in bronze burst. I know if I went for bronze burst wheels, then everything needs to be blacked out to pull of the look.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Now I have to think about testing black gloss vinyl or dip on the handles. I guess it will depend on if I black out the window trim and front grill surround. Not making this easy. My wife is thinking I'm having an affair in the garage. :) Just wait until I start deciding on what to do with wheels...at present I'm loving some Foregstar F14's staggered and in bronze burst. I know if I went for bronze burst wheels, then everything needs to be blacked out to pull of the look.
Hmmm...wouldnt dipping the handles be bad? Like maybe something getting in there? I kinda want to do it along with blacking out the chrome window parts but I am afraid of something happening with the door handles!

Haha! I know the feeling bro! Back when I had the G one day I decided to install the motordyne 5/16 spacer and had to take off the throttle body and plenum! I thought i would be done quickly since I had to pick up the wifey after work! Didnt get to put everything back together in time and the wifey was pissed and quite suspicious at first! Haha! Darn this hobby of ours! :D

Ahh nice! Looking forward to the wheels man! Decisions decisions! :confused:

Reactions: tonypgst

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think the wrap on the handles look awesome, how long did it take to complete?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About 20 minutes. It is simple, just have to be very careful cutting, luckily there is a nice little gap to cut around after pressing the vinyl into the gap to create a natural indention to guide you along.

·
Registered
163 Posts
About 20 minutes. It is simple, just have to be very careful cutting, luckily there is a nice little gap to cut around after pressing the vinyl into the gap to create a natural indention to guide you along.
Thinking about ordering the 3M 1080 that you said you used. Is that what you used for the chrome on the trunk as well? I think I am going to try to do it all myself as I did the chrome window trim on my Altima a few years back.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chrome finishers on the trunk is currently palstidip, but I will be replacing that with the gloss black vinyl in the near future. You will have to be patient with the raised lettering on the top arch, slow heat and ensure the surface is super clean before applying the vinyl.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
looks nice!

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I really like the CF look on the handles! What film did you use and did you need to add adhesive?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used a 4d carbon vinyl as I didn't want any texture on the handles. This is finished perfectly smooth and is gloss rather than the matte look some the 3M carbon vinyl is common for. No adhesive added, just clean, stick, trim carefully.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FON9QJO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: [Taro Works]beyond the Latest 3d Carbon Is 4d Carbon Stickers Black Fiber Vinyl Skin Twill Weave 152 cm× 100cm 60"x39.4" Real Texture Feel: Automotive[/ame]

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used a 4d carbon vinyl as I didn't want any texture on the handles. This is finished perfectly smooth and is gloss rather than the matte look some the 3M carbon vinyl is common for. No adhesive added, just clean, stick, trim carefully.

Amazon.com: [Taro Works]beyond the Latest 3d Carbon Is 4d Carbon Stickers Black Fiber Vinyl Skin Twill Weave 152 cm× 100cm 60"x39.4" Real Texture Feel: Automotive
Nice! Is it really black? I'm trying to determine if it would look good on my graphite shadow or if I should go with a lighter color.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is not solid black, just black as in what you would expect to see for normal colored carbon fiber.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.