Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Trunk Space

35K views 74 replies 25 participants last post by  Sinecure 
#1 ·
I read somewhere in the Internet that the Q50 will have an amazing 18 cu.ft. trunk. Drops to 14 cu.ft for the Hybrid because of the LiIon battery.

I am torn between the regular with the large trunk vs Hybrid and signif. smaller trunk! Currently my Acura RL gives 17 mpg around town. Driving 12,000 miles a year, comes to $2800 in gas that I calculated...pls correct me if I'm wrong. So if the Q50 Hybrid gives say 28 mpg around town, it will probably save about $1700 a year in gas so it will take 3 years driving to cover the higher hybrid cost. Maybe more. Hmmmm. Looks like I'll look at the AWD model non hybrid. Though, one sales rep told me last week that the first models coming out will all be hybrid! Duhhhhh.

Raja

#3 ·
Not sure if that is true what the salesman told you. For any automaker they would usually release their trademark vehicles first, then they will later begin to bring up the hybrid models. It wouldnt make sense. But who knows, maybe its a new tactic or strategy Infiniti has we dont know about.

#4 ·
It could be true. Some car makers try to push hybrid models but being the G37 successor, i can't see them releasing the hybrid first. It would just piss off those that wanted a gasoline Q50 to replace their g37.

Plus hybrids carry a premium price not many people are willing to pay.

#5 ·
There is a very strong possibility that they will be available at about the same time. Remember, the Q50 hybrid is just as much about performance as it is saving gas. Also, from what I can tell, the hybrids are the only models being shown at the auto shows in North America. I can't wait for a test drive.

#9 ·
My wish list would definitely include fold down rear seats, and power folding side mirrors.

Hate parking lots! No matter how far I park, there is always someone carelessly parked beside me when I am ready to leave! And work is the worst!! :mad:

Any idea if rear spoilers and splash guards will be available when the Q50 is released?

Reactions: SimpsonTide985
#11 ·
I am not sure how a spoiler would look on the Q50. The rear is so curvy.
Initially I didn't want a spoiler with my current G37 for similar reasons, but now that I have it, I really like the look.

The photos in the other thread with the Sport Hybrid Q50 actually doesn't have a spoiler, so this could mean that either a spoiler is now only an option for the Q50 or there won't be a spoiler on the Q50 at all...

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/new-2014-infiniti-q50-pictures/45-2014-infiniti-q50-pictures.html

#12 ·
Initially I didn't want a spoiler with my current G37 for similar reasons, but now that I have it, I really like the look.

The photos in the other thread with the Sport Hybrid Q50 actually doesn't have a spoiler, so this could mean that either a spoiler is now only an option for the Q50 or there won't be a spoiler on the Q50 at all...

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/new-2014-infiniti-q50-pictures/45-2014-infiniti-q50-pictures.html
I don't know about you guys but I rather not have a spoiler as I think i'd kill the beautiful trunk line going on. Plus the trunk has sort of a raised lip thing going on that gives a similar look to a lip spoiler.

#14 ·
I don't know about you guys but I rather not have a spoiler as I think i'd kill the beautiful trunk line going on. Plus the trunk has sort of a raised lip thing going on that gives a similar look to a lip spoiler.

I totally agree with you. The contours of the trunk and its lines are just perfect as it is right now. The trunk line also looks like a spoiler since its kind of raised like you said. Added anything even a small lip spoiler would ruin it in my opinion.

#18 ·
whoa there is a strong resemblance here but overall i dont think the lip spoiler looks like it fits in place cosmetically. Id rather just leave it as is love the clean look of the Q50, I wonder if the Q60 will have the same trunk and spoiler type as the Q50 though.

#17 ·
Well since the M is pretty much curved and rounded the same and there is an option for the spoiler type lip, I would like one as well for the Q50.

All about personal preferences.

#20 ·
Think of the Q60 in the same terms as a G37 coupe. It will most likely be built on same platform as the Nissan Z but have sheet metal shaped to resemble the Q50.

#21 ·
Thats a good way to put it, just picture the Q60 with a Q50 front end and mid way the shoulder or rear quarter panels start to get muscular and broad hinting at its rear wheel drive platform. I guess it would be pretty much exactly like the Z but with luxury components.

#22 ·
New to the boards and was searching for some info regarding trunk size from people that have actually seen the car. Didn't want to start a new thread with the same name so reviving this one and veering back OT.

Almost 100% sold on the Q but also considering an ATS. Trunk on my current G is pretty small and the ATS looks microscopic. Don't carry many people and luggage too often but want to be able to take the Q on those long trips since that's why I'll spring for all of the upgraded packages and if the trunk is too small it will make that difficult if not impossible.

Thoughts from those that have seen the trunk space?

How does it compare to the current G?

While I'm asking, did they change the opening at all? The current G's opening is way too small. I wonder if they widened it at all?

Thanks again!

Jay

#25 ·
There are some pics here with the trunk open in one of the threads. The trunk total space is way up by the numbers, and to me it looked like there's more of a narrow tunnel that leads to the back seats, and it's definitely deeper (thanks to run flats and only enough room for a donut spare). It's not wide all the way back of course thanks to the wheel wells. Still, space is space, and with the (finally) split-folding rear seats, you should be able to load Ikea boxes all day.

#26 ·
Here you go bro! Around 2:17 he talks about the trunk:

#27 ·
Wow- awesome video - thanks gbert!

Thanks for the other info guys!

Looks like its much bigger than the ATS and the current G. Good news for sure.

I like the wider opening too. My G trunk falls short on that - it's. nice to see they corrected it for the Q.

Reactions: gbert15
#30 ·
Space is space but I believe it will really come down to the shape of the trunks ... The hybrid technically has more trunk space than the G but the shape may prohibit it from being useful space...:(

#31 ·
Just saw some Sales literature posted by Gandhi and they have e trunk space listed at 13.5 cu ft. Anyone know what the dimensions are for the hybrid and non-hybrid are?

#33 ·
Thanks Afrosheen. Can you point me to wherever you found that info from Infiniti?

I have been looking everywhere and can't seem to find that 18 cu ft number.

I had believed these sizes but when I looked at the new sales literature posted here, it shows 13.5 cu ft and doesn't specify Hybrid or gasser. It got me thinking that the G trunk is 13.5 cu ft so to get that extra 4.5 ft the trunk would need to be about 1 foot deeper, or about 1 ft higher (deck) or some combination of those 2 since the overall dimensions of the car are only an inch or two longer and wider.

Just wanting to see some validation out of curiosity.

Thanks!

#35 ·
Hmmm, where are you seeing these specs (sorry for the duplicate thread just curious to see it for myself as the website doesn't seem to have the trunk space listed - unless I'm missing it???)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.