Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first post here and I was wondering if it would be possible to tune my car (2017 q50 premium awd) even tho it’s stock aside from a muffler delete?
I’m from Chicago and I’ve read about AMS performance, I would want this package

Has anyone dealt with them ? If so, how much would an install Be for that package approximately do you guys think ?

·
Registered
16' Q50 AWD Silver Sport
226 Posts
Hey guys, first post here and I was wondering if it would be possible to tune my car (2017 q50 premium awd) even tho it’s stock aside from a muffler delete?

Has anyone dealt with them ? If so, how much would an install Be for that package approximately do you guys think ?
I have no experience with any of them as I'm still stock with no tune, but I've done my research and there are some tuners that would tune you stock. AMS on their website shows, at least from the link you provided, that they include a few bolt ons including the tune for the price of roughly $3,000.

This is taken directly from the description on their site "The Red Alpha Stage 2 Performance Package includes the Red Alpha Cold Air Intake System, Red Alpha Heat Exchanger, EcuTek Bluetooth kit, and a custom E-Tune Calibration via EcuTek software. "

·
Registered
6,230 Posts

Sure you can tune any car without any mods and usually make a bit more power as most cars are detund a bit from the factory, but some supporting modifications
will make the most out of getting a tune and are required in some most instances.

Personally I'd recommend you skip the air-intakes as they don't make much power and instead go with Lower Down Pipes, however everything else in that Stage 2 offering from
AMS is what I'd consider "Required supporting mods" if you want to get your car tuned.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Signature Edition
933 Posts
AMS tune only AWD cars will hit 11s consistently, my friend had a tune-only Q for a while and it blew me away how well it performed. Added Megan downpipes and some PS4s on all 4 corners and hit 11.78 in high DA down in TX.

And this was before RaceRom 4 came out.. I imagine AMS can even do more on a stock vehicle now. Them, or Racebox will have a stock vehicle moving nicely.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes. You can tune the car with or without mods. However - its probably best to tune the car with some supporting mods to get the most out of your tune so you don't have to do a re-tune.

My advice is usually do a tune last (or near the last) if you don't want to re-tune or re-tune too often.

Also - don't worry about the packages. Mod the car with performance mods that you wish to do and then when you are ready - get the tune. If you are from Chicago, I highly suggest you get an AMS tune done at their shop. It'll be a good experience. Their E-Tune is also an amazing experience too.

And also since you are from Chicago, I would recommend you skip the AMS heat exchanger to save some money. Chicago is pretty cold most of the year and only hot in the summer. And if you are also planning to not INTENSE track days and tons of back to back pulls, you will unlikely experience heat-soak. I live in San Francisco and we average 50s to low low 60s year round with very very little of the time maybe 70s-80s weather. I have done multiple pulls in 70s degree weather in SF too; never experienced heat-soak with stock HE.

Unless you are planning to abuse your car, go racing everyday, or do tons of drag runs back to back; you will unlikely see the benefit of the heat exchanger in Chicago. But if you are planning to race often, you should get the AMS heat exchanger.

Just my two cent.

Personally I'd recommend you skip the air-intakes as they don't make much power and instead go with Lower Down Pipes, however everything else in that Stage 2 offering from
AMS is what I'd consider "Required supporting mods" if you want to get your car tuned.
In my opinion, if you are optioning for the most power you can get, you should get the CAI as well. LDP will definitely net gain you more power than a CAI ever will but LDP comes with hassles depending on where you live. I skipped LDP because California SMOG. I don't want to hassle myself of switching the LDP on and off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you, So I think I will end up adding the ams cai, ams lower downpipes and then get the dyno with ams after all that is installed.
Another question sorry guys. The Ecutek Bluetooth kit and calibration I should do before the dyno tune ? Is that needed ?
and since I have a muffler delete, would it make more sense to get a catback exhaust and the lower downpipes ? Or it’s ok with just my muffler delete and then adding the LDP?
I apologize if what I’m asking is dumb, I’m new to tuning so I’m trying to pick up as much as I can. Thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ok thank you, So I think I will end up adding the ams cai, ams lower downpipes and then get the dyno with ams after all that is installed.
Another question sorry guys. The Ecutek Bluetooth kit and calibration I should do before the dyno tune ? Is that needed ?
and since I have a muffler delete, would it make more sense to get a catback exhaust and the lower downpipes ? Or it’s ok with just my muffler delete and then adding the LDP?
I apologize if what I’m asking is dumb, I’m new to tuning so I’m trying to pick up as much as I can. Thanks
If you are doing the dyno tune at the AMS shop, you will get the ECUTek Bluetooth kit there and the calibration done there. They'll do everything for you.

Since you are in Chicago, it would be easier for you to get it dyno'd tuned at their shop. In my opinion, dyno tune is more safe and E-Tune is more accurate. Dyno tune is in controlled conditions with a fan and dyno. E-Tune is done on the streets which is more realistic.

If you want more power, you should get a full CBE along with your LDP before getting a tune.

It seems like you are rushing a bit. Here's my recommendation: start off slowly.

Since you only have a muffler delete only right now, get a CBE first. After that, get a LDP and other any other supporting mods you want. During this time, you can pick up a JB4 to get your feet wet in more power. JB4 can instantly net you an tons of extra HP/TQ for less than 500/600 dollars. After that, and you still feel like you want more power, then sell the JB4 and get the tune.

I recommend this because a lot of people don't need the extra HP/TQ from the tune. A lot of people will love how fast the car is with just supporting mods and JB4. Tons of forum members here are JB4. Tons here upgraded from JB4 to tune because they felt like they need more. That's why I recommend you slowly work your way up to a tune.

Reactions: Flyman

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are doing the dyno tune at the AMS shop, you will get the ECUTek Bluetooth kit there and the calibration done there. They'll do everything for you.

Since you are in Chicago, it would be easier for you to get it dyno'd tuned at their shop. In my opinion, dyno tune is more safe and E-Tune is more accurate. Dyno tune is in controlled conditions with a fan and dyno. E-Tune is done on the streets which is more realistic.

If you want more power, you should get a full CBE along with your LDP before getting a tune.

It seems like you are rushing a bit. Here's my recommendation: start off slowly.

Since you only have a muffler delete only right now, get a CBE first. After that, get a LDP and other any other supporting mods you want. During this time, you can pick up a JB4 to get your feet wet in more power. JB4 can instantly net you an tons of extra HP/TQ for less than 500/600 dollars. After that, and you still feel like you want more power, then sell the JB4 and get the tune.

I recommend this because a lot of people don't need the extra HP/TQ from the tune. A lot of people will love how fast the car is with just supporting mods and JB4. Tons of forum members here are JB4. Tons here upgraded from JB4 to tune because they felt like they need more. That's why I recommend you slowly work your way up to a tune.
Damn ! That’s a great way of explaining everything !!! Thanks a lot brother. You literally gave me a checklist lol again the advice is greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
846 Posts
Damn ! That’s a great way of explaining everything !!! Thanks a lot brother. You literally gave me a checklist lol again the advice is greatly appreciated !
Don't sweat it.

Just my two cent because I notice tons of people rush into a tune.

The tune is amazing but its good to build up to it. Definitely consider installing the mods one at a time, check out JB4, and then go for the tune if you want more power. The tune option will always be there in the future. This will not only save you more money, but also see what kind of power level you want. It also allows you to learn as you go.

Reactions: Flyman and Zamniia
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.