Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Q50 RS 35K miles and I've noticed my turbo coolant level has dropped. I've had to refill it twice. I also notice a bit of exhaust (black) drool from the tailpipe. I don't know much about turbo's but I'm thinking there's a problem here. Can anyone put a finger on it? Thx

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
The black soot deposition on your exhaust is normal and I doubt it is associated with your turbo coolant issue.

Have you checked your CAC radiator for leaks? Associated CAC hoses?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
That black "drool" out of the tailpipe is a mixture of condensation and soot emitted by a cold motor in the first couple of minutes of operation. After the motor and exhaust reach normal operating temps the drool should stop, but the soot continues to build up as a result of the fuel delivery system used on the VR30DDTT. As for the turbo coolant leak, you def need to look into that as you should rarely need to top off either coolant tank under normal circumstances. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks was thinking that the exhaust issue was just that. I will check out my cooling system for leaks. Thanks for the input. I'll post back when I find something.
Got a belt to replace so while I'm in there.
From a quick glance it looks like belt replacement is done from under the car?

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Hopefully you don't have a leak in one of your intercoolers.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,370 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my belt replaced yesterday and took a better look at the coolant reservoir and the system. I don't think I have a leak at this point. I will monitor it closer but I think the levels in that tank are just marked min/max much lower than I would have expected. When I did top it off it leaked out of the top overflow.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Got my belt replaced yesterday and took a better look at the coolant reservoir and the system. I don't think I have a leak at this point. I will monitor it closer but I think the levels in that tank are just marked min/max much lower than I would have expected. When I did top it off it leaked out of the top overflow.
Common mistake to overfill fluids. Brake fluid, coolant, motor oil. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,370 Posts
Common mistake to overfill fluids. Brake fluid, coolant, motor oil. Been there, done that.
When the dealership installed my AMS HE, the coolant was initially over-filled, and it was obviously pushing out the overflow. I let the car sit overnight, and then I used a dedicated garage-use-only turkey baster to draw down the fluid level in the reservoir.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, pressure test your cooling system! You should be able to go to your local autozone and just rent the tools needed. Good luck man!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts