Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching and searching this forum for information and the internet on how to inspect or even replace the oil drain lines on the turbos. Nothing so far helps. Does anyone have info on this? I want to make sure there are no crinks, bends, or leaks in these lines. I just don't know what I'm looking for in the engine bay area, it's so tight in there. (That's what she said!)
Just got informed from a certified Infiniti mechanic that too much backpressure or not properly draining oil from turbos cause turbo leaks more than seals failing. he said to inspect the lines and make sure there are no issues. Bad PCV valves also can play a role he said. I'd like to look into this before I blow 6k replacing my turbos. It is definitely blowing oil up into the intercooler direction and I'm always cleaning up oil around my engine bay on the passenger side. see attached pic. This after peeling back the intercooler. Getting real fast at performing this cleanup procedure:)

Attachments

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
948 Posts
Are you under 70k miles/ Get it into the dealer and get that fixed under warranty. If your turbos are blowing that oil up there, then it is probably already too late to save/fix them.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I agree. I would suggest you get the turbos replaced under warranty. That would ensure you are back to a proper baseline.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just got informed from a certified Infiniti mechanic that too much backpressure or not properly draining oil from turbos cause turbo leaks more than seals failing. he said to inspect the lines and make sure there are no issues. Bad PCV valves also can play a role he said.
that holds true for any turbo, not just the ones on the Q50. trust that the factory properly sized and routed the oil drain lines. the engineers also properly accounted for engine blow-by via the pcv system.

it appears too late for your engine. if youre under 70k, take it in to the dealer and let them handle the replacement.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,855 Posts
that holds true for any turbo, not just the ones on the Q50. trust that the factory properly sized and routed the oil drain lines. the engineers also properly accounted for engine blow-by via the pcv system.

it appears too late for your engine. if youre under 70k, take it in to the dealer and let them handle the replacement.
70K miles or 72 months. When was the car first purchased?

Reactions: xBlitzkriegx

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
948 Posts
OP has a 2018 so car should still be under warranty unless over the 70k or salvage title situation.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,855 Posts
OP has a 2018 so car should still be under warranty unless over the 70k or salvage title situation.
Don't see that stated but I agree.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
948 Posts
Don't see that stated but I agree.
Its in the signature just where you like it! It is a little obscured though because of the pic attachment right at the bottom of the post.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,855 Posts
Its in the signature just where you like it! It is a little obscured though because of the pic attachment right at the bottom of the post.
(y)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This particular car has a rebuilt title so I'm screwed as far as dealer warranty. What causes these turbos to leak like this? If I get them replaced and go with lower down pipes and CBE will that reduce back pressure and help save the turbos from blowing seals next time. Are these rubber seals or steel? If there are steel like most modern turbos have today, they don't blow like this. Its almost un heard of unless you are really over boasting them to a degree that is stupid. They stopped using rubber seals inside turbos back in the mid 80's to and article written by Tim's Turbos. Big turbo shop out of Virginia. They sell new and rebuilt turbos. Practically every turbo you can imagine. I'm thinking these OEM Garrett Turbos are still using rubber seals?

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
948 Posts
I think they are steel. Someone posted pics of an upgrade/rebuild kit and it had metal seals. Something about the design of the original turbos made the seals prone to leaking. I would read/review the turbo failure thread to learn more.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think they are steel. Someone posted pics of an upgrade/rebuild kit and it had metal seals. Something about the design of the original turbos made the seals prone to leaking. I would read/review the turbo failure thread to learn more.

ok thanks for that info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts