Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Infiniti q50s. My dad had a lot of random cars that are for parts in his car lot. I was wondering if I can take a off a turbo or supercharger of a car would it fit or work on the q50? we have everything from a m2 to a Shelby. I really don't want to spend thousands on a turbo kit if I can just take one of from one if the cars we have on the lot.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,555 Posts
I have a 2015 Infiniti q50s. My dad had a lot of random cars that are for parts in his car lot. I was wondering if I can take a off a turbo or supercharger of a car would it fit or work on the q50? we have everything from a m2 to a Shelby. I really don't want to spend thousands on a turbo kit if I can just take one of from one if the cars we have on the lot.
I think this is your only safe/easy option.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,555 Posts
I know that and I've seen those. But I'm asking a different question.
I know what your question is, and that is the answer. Good luck with a custom turbo or SC install on your 3.7. Please keep us updated. It can be done, but be prepared for costs beyond the Stillen SC kit.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
858 Posts
O M G

·
Registered
231 Posts
You could hook up a shop vac to the intakes. Can you control the airflow? Are you going to replace the ECU and get a tuner to make it work? Will the fuel system push more fuel with more air? Do you have the piping to connect a Turbo to the exhaust manifold and then do you have an exhaust manifold that will accept a Turbo? I think this is all what people are saying when answering your question. On YouTube when people install a Turbo where one didn't exist before, look for all those details that they usually just gloss over when they pull a manifold out of a box that miraculously fits. They buy ready-made or they show a guy measuring and welding custom pipes. Then there is a guy doing custom wiring to a custom ECU. Then there is a guy sitting in the car on a dyno with a laptop. These aren't b16 Honda's and even then you'd get an ECU program..

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
My dad has knows how to but I just wanna ask around before I do anything to it
I think it should be a fun build with your dad.

I wish my dad knew how to do something like that.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,555 Posts
I think it should be a fun build with your dad.

I wish my dad knew how to do something like that.
My Dad couldn't/can't screw in a light bulb.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Installing turbos on a 3.7...hmm. Nope. Wouldn't even try given the problems you'll run into. You're better off buying a Stillen SC kit that's designed for the VQ37 if you're set on spending thousands of dollars upgrading that engine.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Installing turbos on a 3.7...hmm. Nope. Wouldn't even try given the problems you'll run into. You're better off buying a Stillen SC kit that's designed for the VQ37 if you're set on spending thousands of dollars upgrading that engine.
but theres a bunch of parts laying around.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If they attempt to do this, gotta get a YouTube channel going. Junk Yard Turbo.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
but theres a bunch of parts laying around.
I saw a YouTube video of a couple guys who connected a Stihl leaf blower to an engine intake and got an extra 20 HP.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
858 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
I saw a YouTube video of a couple guys who connected a Stihl leaf blower to an engine intake and got an extra 20 HP.
I will take 20hp anytime.

Backyard mechanics do this all the time. Hiw hard could it be?

·
Registered
175 Posts
So your question is "Can I build a custom turbo?". That seems like only you can answer that. Nothing is going to pull off a different car and just bolt on to the Q50, so the question is how much time and money do you have to spend on this project.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A few basic things required, besides the obvious physical parts:
  • Exhaust routing - method to mount the compressor(s) to the exhaust manifold or header and of course expelling from the turbine (i.e. downpipe).
  • Air management - routing the compressed air (post turbo) to the throttle body(-ies), which needs to pass thru the next item
  • Air cooling - intercooler, which means either an air-to-air (extra plumbing and typically can take up a large area) or water-to-air...that will require a water pump and radiator [heat exchanger], etc. and also some sort of 'box' the charged air would pass through and where those innards transfer the air heat to the water part of the system.
  • Fuel management - more air-density will require more fuel...typically larger injectors and fuel pump, etc. LAST THING you want is to go lean; means engine can go boom, haha.
  • ECU tuning - a must...need to be able to manage this additional airflow/fuel, etc.
  • Engine cooling - with additional load comes more heat, just be sure to keep this part in mind
  • Other cooling - turbos especially retain and thereby spread a lot more radiant heat under the hood. May not be an issue, but more something else to consider. They do make turbo blankets and you can wrap exhaust tubing (pref SS) to keep this more in check.
  • Ancillary items - Wastegate and a method to expel the part of exhaust that bypasses the turbine wheel. Mentioning this, for add'l real estate/lplumbing requirements. BOV will be required on a manual transmission and optional on an auto.
  • Boost controller - this is important and they make simple types with a knob at the unit or fancy electronic means.
  • Engine compression and bottom end - what is the factory compression ratio on the 3.7 engine? You will be effectively increasing this...what sort of bottom end does the 3.7 have and is it sufficient to hold up to adding forced induction?
Now, this is a simplistic list and far from all-encompassing...you need to size everything according to what your goals are and "bigger" is not always better. There are volumes of info available out there to study, as far as compressor maps and so on...Ideally, you would probably want to change the cam(s) to be better suited to a forced induction setup. It'll probably 'run' without doing this, just talking about optimization, being there are different duration/lift values used on FI vs NA applications.

On paper, adding a compressor is rather straightforward, although it's the details and physical issues that can be a headache...especially if you're new to this sort of thing.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,555 Posts
A few basic things required, besides the obvious physical parts:
  • Exhaust routing - method to mount the compressor(s) to the exhaust manifold or header and of course expelling from the turbine (i.e. downpipe).
  • Air management - routing the compressed air (post turbo) to the throttle body(-ies), which needs to pass thru the next item
  • Air cooling - intercooler, which means either an air-to-air (extra plumbing and typically can take up a large area) or water-to-air...that will require a water pump and radiator [heat exchanger], etc. and also some sort of 'box' the charged air would pass through and where those innards transfer the air heat to the water part of the system.
  • Fuel management - more air-density will require more fuel...typically larger injectors and fuel pump, etc. LAST THING you want is to go lean; means engine can go boom, haha.
  • ECU tuning - a must...need to be able to manage this additional airflow/fuel, etc.
  • Engine cooling - with additional load comes more heat, just be sure to keep this part in mind
  • Other cooling - turbos especially retain and thereby spread a lot more radiant heat under the hood. May not be an issue, but more something else to consider. They do make turbo blankets and you can wrap exhaust tubing (pref SS) to keep this more in check.
  • Ancillary items - Wastegate and a method to expel the part of exhaust that bypasses the turbine wheel. Mentioning this, for add'l real estate/lplumbing requirements. BOV will be required on a manual transmission and optional on an auto.
  • Boost controller - this is important and they make simple types with a knob at the unit or fancy electronic means.
  • Engine compression and bottom end - what is the factory compression ratio on the 3.7 engine? You will be effectively increasing this...what sort of bottom end does the 3.7 have and is it sufficient to hold up to adding forced induction?
Now, this is a simplistic list and far from all-encompassing...you need to size everything according to what your goals are and "bigger" is not always better. There are volumes of info available out there to study, as far as compressor maps and so on...Ideally, you would probably want to change the cam(s) to be better suited to a forced induction setup. It'll probably 'run' without doing this, just talking about optimization, being there are different duration/lift values used on FI vs NA applications.

On paper, adding a compressor is rather straightforward, although it's the details and physical issues that can be a headache...especially if you're new to this sort of thing.
All that for a guy with three posts. 😲

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
306 Posts
All that for a guy with three posts. 😲
LOL, didn't even see that part. Oh well, let's just chalk it up as bored on my part, haha.

It's was just done from memory and generic, so bet some things I'm missing and it could be expanded on by others who may also be bored.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts