Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me know if I should be concerned about this turbo whistle sound. I've read this thread about the turbo whistle noise but didn't want to bring up an old thread so started my own.

Car is 2017 Q50 Premium with 26K on odometer. Bone stock. I do live at altitude (Denver) if that makes a difference.

Google Photos Video

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI the car does boost so performance is not an issue but sounds like these turbos do go bad. I've never had a turbo car so this is all new to me. Yes it does sound like turbo spool but judging from the thread I linked most say the turbos are silent in these cars.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
@NikonGuy Read:

https://good-garage-guide.honestjoh...s-a-turbo-whistle-a-symptom-of-turbo-failure-

A "turbo whistle" usually indicates a worn and failing turbo bearing, which is pretty much all there is to go wrong with a turbo.

BTW, how often do you change the oil & filter, and what oil viscosity grade are you using?
I do 3k oil change oci’s with 5w30, I believe my cars noise is more of a normal “turbo spool” noise. Car consumes no oil between changes which is common on Vr30 turbo failures I believe some noise is normal but I would be worried if it was more of a high pitch whistle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@NikonGuy Read:

https://good-garage-guide.honestjoh...s-a-turbo-whistle-a-symptom-of-turbo-failure-

A "turbo whistle" usually indicates a worn and failing turbo bearing, which is pretty much all there is to go wrong with a turbo.

BTW, how often do you change the oil & filter, and what oil viscosity grade are you using?
I've only had the car for a week but have noticed the whistle since I've owned it. Just changed the oil this past weekend with 5w30 full synthetic

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've only had the car for a week but have noticed the whistle since I've owned it. Just changed the oil this past weekend with 5w30 full synthetic
If you’re completely stock I would bring it in, I didn’t hear much of anything when mine was stock. Keep an eye on oil

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Thanks @NikonGuy, I would take it to the dealership.

For reference, here's what my Q60 Red Sport sounds like with FI LDPs & CBE & AMS Intakes:

You'll note there's no whistling sound from the turbos. None.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the short Carfax history of the car. Do you think I should have any warranty issues with the car. Infiniti dealership in NJ saw this car three different times. Nothing explicit about oil change but says engine was checked and 15K service was performed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2018 whistled like a bird and I loved it. No performance issues at all. I only had a JB1 and with that on the whistle was more. But couldnt log then either. But never had any issues other than belt squeel. They replaced that whole assembly and in another 10k miles it squeeled again. This is what made me trade it in for a new one. I based my decision to stick with the Q50 was based on not having issues other than belt and this engine going into the new Z. I always took the whistle as a good thing and was more pronounced if I took off the intake cowl. Now my new 2020 Q50, no whistle ever. I actually miss it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Here is the short Carfax history of the car. Do you think I should have any warranty issues with the car. Infiniti dealership in NJ saw this car three different times. Nothing explicit about oil change but says engine was checked and 15K service was performed.
Look, the early versions of the Garrett turbos on these Q50 & Q60 VR30 cars have a checkered history with regards to oil seal failures, whistling, etc. If the previous owner was "following the maintenance algorithm", i.e., 10k mile oil changes based on the maintenance computer, I wouldn't be surprised if the turbo bearings and/or oil seals are failing.

Even as the second owner, you may still have some of the original 4-yr/60k mile B^B warranty left, based on the in-service date. If not, your Q also has a transferrable 6-yr/70k mile powertrain warranty, which includes the turbos. I would take it to the Infiniti dealer and ask them to investigate the whistling. It's not normal for "good" turbos to whistle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still have manufacturer warranty and did purchase CarMax Extended Warranty (I'm also within their standard 90 days/4K warranty). Figure the easiest was take it to dealer and go with manufacturer warranty first.

I just dropped the car off at dealer. Wait and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I just dropped the car off at dealer. Wait and see what they say.
Which dealer? I leased my Q60 from Infiniti of Denver in November 2016.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So they discovered that my water pump is leaking and will fix under warranty.

But say that the high pitch squeal is normal. Does that sound right?

Well at least now I have documentation that I alerted them of the squeal in case the turbos do need servicing in the future it wasn't due to my neglect.

Any thoughts on this analysis?

They did note my rear brakes and tires were also wearing down, but everything else checks out.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
But say that the high pitch squeal is normal. Does that sound right?

Well at least now I have documentation that I alerted them of the squeal in case the turbos do need servicing in the future it wasn't due to my neglect.

Any thoughts on this analysis?
Ok, well I'm happy they found the WP leak - so much for the CarMax 125 point inspection, right?

As for the whistle, if Mike Ward is claiming ignorance of the whistle, when you get it back, you could get a second opinion from another Infiniti dealership, as no two service departments are the same. On the bright side, you now have it documented in the Infiniti system.

Since you bought it used, see if the SA @ Mike Ward could run the service history for your Q. It will be more detailed than CarFax history you showed earlier in this thread. Any additional details would be helpful.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When they do call back, I'm going to ask them to test drive their new and used Q50's on their lot. I actually did test drive two of their used Q50's and from what I recall, there was no whistle.

I might go ahead and have them do oil change just so it's in the system. Oil seems to be a big factor in these cars. Normally I change oil on my cars but with this I'll go ahead and get it serviced with them.

Infiniti of Denver is the next closest and they are across town (Highlands Ranch to Aurora)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m taking my car in Thursday morning to have them look at it. The SM told me the turbos indeed whistle and there is a lot of misinformation out there. She did say the new turbos are much quieter. Any advice or information from Infiniti regarding whistling being abnormal as I anticipate the dealer to state it’s a normal sound

1 - 20 of 33 Posts