Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’m taking my car in Thursday morning to have them look at it. The SM told me the turbos indeed whistle and there is a lot of misinformation out there. She did say the new turbos are much quieter. Any advice or information from Infiniti regarding whistling being abnormal as I anticipate the dealer to state it’s a normal sound
That is interested. Worse case scenario I brought this up the the dealership so they know about it now.

It will cover my behind if it is in fact a faulty turbo in the future.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
My response to "it's normal" is - Infiniti is the premium/luxury version of Nissan Motor Corp. I would argue that luxury car owners would NOT like their vehicle to whistle at them, under any circumstances. From a Noise/Vibration/Harshness (NVH) factor, a whistling turbo fails that criteria.

If the 1st dealership gives you the "it's normal" BS, then as I recommended, you'll need to take it to another Infiniti dealer for a second opinion. I would ask, in either case, to have a mechanic, or better yet, the Service Manager, drive with you. I would also drive another Q50 (or Q60) with the VR30 on the lot with them to compare (just to drive the point home).

For whatever reason, some dealerships don't like replacing turbos, even under warranty (where they get reimburshed from Infiniti). I don't understand why. Maybe they would be challenged on the claim? Maybe they don't want a service bay tied-up for the entire day?

Reactions: Batell and Avedis53

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Red Sport , Iridium Blue
11 Posts
I just traded my 2016 Red Sport in with 51kmi. and it had a bit of a whistle but only after 40k mi., it was not a belt noise as it was replaced and the sound of my belt going was different. The 2018 Red Sport 20k mi. has a similar whistle around 3500rpm's. I felt my 2016 had some issues that would all have been covered by the extended but there was more 'noise" at 50kmi than 30kmi. and I do 5k oil changes. . Possibly an Idler arm or a belt pulley bearing? . I am just throwing this out for help in diagnosing, the 2016 showed signs of running rich, more soot than normal on exhaust tips, gas mileage down a bit, bad injector? or signs of a bad turbo? I only traded it in because a yahoo rim repair guy put the jack under the BSM system behind the passenger rear tire, yeah! not.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know enough mechanically to chime in beyond my own experience. But if anyone knows, what causes a bad Turbo to whistle or what whistles on a Turbo of any condition?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I don't know enough mechanically to chime in beyond my own experience. But if anyone knows, what causes a bad Turbo to whistle or what whistles on a Turbo of any condition?
Here's an exploded view of a "typical" Garrett turbo:

As the pressure builds-up from the spin-up of the compressor via the turbine wheel, the increasing boost pressure can leak through the (worn) oil seal and/or (worn) bearing, and this leak path is what causes the whistle. Typically, the turbine wheel can spin up to 140,000+ rpm.

Two main causes for a failing bearing and/or oil seal. 1) Poor design of the turbo by Honeywell/Garrett, and/or 2) Failing to maintain regular oil and filter changes (typically 5k OCIs for the VR30 is a good rule-of-thumb), not checking oil levels periodically and allowing oil levels to drop, not properly warming up the oil before "getting-on-it", and/or immediately shutting down the engine after "getting-on-it" w/o some cool-down are all ways to commit these turbos to a premature death (whistle).

Failure mode #1 has apparently been addressed by revision changes since these turbos 1st appeared in MY2016. Failure mode #2 can be blamed in part on Infiniti's 10k OCI via the on-board maintenance computer and also the owner's driving and maintenance habits.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I will admit to a couple of longer than shoulda OCI's in my 30k ownership period of the 2018 Q50. And here I thought it was a good thing, I did lose performance near the end of my ownership. i do the full warm up sequence now, monitoring on my JB4. I already did the first oil change at 3000 with Modern Engine, Valvoline I think based on Avedis' advice and its 5w30. I plan to bring my own oil to the shop every 3000 miles for this car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So they discovered that my water pump is leaking and will fix under warranty.

But say that the high pitch squeal is normal. Does that sound right?

Well at least now I have documentation that I alerted them of the squeal in case the turbos do need servicing in the future it wasn't due to my neglect.

Any thoughts on this analysis?

They did note my rear brakes and tires were also wearing down, but everything else checks out.

View attachment 97504

View attachment 97505
I would also go into your driver settings and turn off trace control. All it does is apply the rear brakes when turning which in turn wears out the rear pads faster. Unlike most cars I have owned the rear pads on Q50s wear earlier than the fronts. We are talking replacement in the mid to upper 20K range.

To make it even worse, you can't turn it off on my QX60.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you can afford to replace the pads, and you practice with that rear braking system and the overall traction control, you can rip around corners, the back end slides out and the car straightens under full load. Its a blast. It took me a while to figure out when to apply the brakes, the gas, and how to turn the wheel just right. Do it wrong and the system can make your car react like an idiot is driving.

Reactions: Batell

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I would also go into your driver settings and turn off trace control. All it does is apply the rear brakes when turning which in turn wears out the rear pads faster. Unlike most cars I have owned the rear pads on Q50s wear earlier than the fronts. We are talking replacement in the mid to upper 20K range.

To make it even worse, you can't turn it off on my QX60.
Yeah I did turn off trace control, but looks like it only works if you are in Personal driving mode. There doesn't seem to be a global active trace control off setting.

Update: I picked up the car. I did drive around with a tech and he did notice the whistle but it is considered "normal" to him, even though he says new ones don't exhibit the noise and it just comes from use. Nothing I can do at this point with this dealer. The car does run good and pulls pretty hard.

I may try another dealer but at least the water pump was replaced (kind of disappointed it went so bad on such a new car) and there is record of turbo whistle in the service logs so if the turbo does break or engine dies later down the road it will come back on the dealer. I have bumper to bumper warranty up to 100K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just traded in an '18 Q50 for a '21. My 18 ran great, had 62K on it and pretty much trouble free. It went through a period where it had a slight whistle at around 30-35K or so, took it in and the adviser said it was ok. It ended up going away. No idea why. The adviser has always been a straight shooter, done everything I have asked him and very proactive about replacing things.

While I do think that turbos can have a problem with a whistle/noise and not everything is Ok, I think maybe we have got used to quiet turbos so to speak. I can remember every car that I drove with a turbo over the years had a turbo whistle, it was considered "normal".

The key for you is your 100K warranty and you have a service ticket on the turbos. I imagine with a whistle or not before 100K you can probably get some new turbos out of the deal through just normal wear and tear.

Water pumps can be a weird thing. I had a newer Grand Cherokee Overland that every time I took it in for an oil change, it needed a new water pump, 3 total the first 28K. Nationwide backorder, car sat at the dealer for a month on one of them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah, I was going to perform the oil changes myself (I honestly trust myself more than the dealership when changing oil) but at this point I will be using either Infiniti or Nissan dealership for my oil changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So waiting at dealer. They said the noise is a bit louder than normal and opened a tech line case. Waiting to see if they will be replacing turbos or nit. Either way I’ll have it documented.

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 Silver Sport VR30DDTT
272 Posts
Yeah, I was going to perform the oil changes myself (I honestly trust myself more than the dealership when changing oil) but at this point I will be using either Infiniti or Nissan dealership for my oil changes.
I am right here with you. I got an oil change 2k miles ago, and was only getting 200 miles per tank of gas. I decided to do an oil change myself a few days ago, upon which I discovered the oil was never changed, just topped off. There was 7 quarts of the darkest and gunk filled oil I have ever seen. My Jeep with 200k miles had better oil! Based on that, no more dealer oil changes for me!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts