Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have test driven a Q50 with the standard 17" wheels and found the ride to be very compliant and quiet (in terms of road noise). Can anyone offer any insight on how much louder the ride is with the 19" (non-sport package though)? Several posts on here seem to suggest that it is quite a bit louder.

Also, are the LED headlights any less bright than the xenons on the G37? Someone I know picked up a new MDX and he thought the LED headlights on that car were less bright. I question this, but wanted to run it by you guys.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have test driven a Q50 with the standard 17" wheels and found the ride to be very compliant and quiet (in terms of road noise). Can anyone offer any insight on how much louder the ride is with the 19" (non-sport package though)? Several posts on here seem to suggest that it is quite a bit louder.

Also, are the LED headlights any less bright than the xenons on the G37? Someone I know picked up a new MDX and he thought the LED headlights on that car were less bright. I question this, but wanted to run it by you guys.
I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but why don't you just drive a car configured like you want and judge for yourself? I'm pretty sure I've seen Q50's (non S) with the 19" wheels on various lots before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but why don't you just drive a car configured like you want and judge for yourself? I'm pretty sure I've seen Q50's (non S) with the 19" wheels on various lots before.
Thank you for the astute insight. Of course I can go for another test drive, but if the unanimous response is that road noise is way worse, then I won't waste my time.

Why is it that these sorts of responses seem so commonplace on this forum? The other day someone else described a problem they were having with their car and asked if anyone else had experienced it. Akin to your response to my post, another member unhelpfully suggested to have car taken to the dealer. Isn't the exchange of information and opinions the point of forums like this?

·
Registered
225 Posts

The run flats on the 19" wheels are somewhat louder depending on the road surface. Once switched out w/ better tires it's much quieter.

LED highs/lows seem very bright.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The run flats on the 19" wheels are somewhat louder depending on the road surface. Once switched out w/ better tires it's much quieter.

LED highs/lows seem very bright.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Thank you for the astute insight. Of course I can go for another test drive, but if the unanimous response is that road noise is way worse, then I won't waste my time.

Why is it that these sorts of responses seem so commonplace on this forum? The other day someone else described a problem they were having with their car and asked if anyone else had experienced it. Akin to your response to my post, another member unhelpfully suggested to have car taken to the dealer. Isn't the exchange of information and opinions the point of forums like this?
But what you may think of as being road noise that is worse may not be the same to someone else. And vice versa. Not trying to be smart, but if you test drive you may think it's different than someone else.

·
Registered
118 Posts
"But what you may think of as being road noise that is worse may not be the same to someone else. And vice versa. Not trying to be smart, but if you test drive you may think it's different than someone else."

Agree

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"But what you may think of as being road noise that is worse may not be the same to someone else. And vice versa. Not trying to be smart, but if you test drive you may think it's different than someone else."

Agree
You all underestimate how much I value the opinions and viewpoints of the members of this board. I was hoping to tap into that rather than be met with the obvious solution of going to see for myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Young04
I think your question is quite valid and pertinent, I tried both and I don't remember thinking about one being louder than the other, perhaps because my focus was on the stiffness of the ride, I am not sure if this is a criteria for you, but for me is, when I took the two cars to the same bumpy road, the 19" complained and jumped on every crack in the road, the 17" was fine, no issues with the 225/55 tire for me, if I end up buying this car, I will for sure opt for the 17" with spare tire, to change them to regualr tires later, this is IMHO the biggest advantage I see with the Q50 over its competition (that spare tire is an option), no one that I know is offering RFT with spare tire option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Young04
I think your question is quite valid and pertinent, I tried both and I don't remember thinking about one being louder than the other, perhaps because my focus was on the stiffness of the ride, I am not sure if this is a criteria for you, but for me is, when I took the two cars to the same bumpy road, the 19" complained and jumped on every crack in the road, the 17" was fine, no issues with the 225/55 tire for me, if I end up buying this car, I will for sure opt for the 17" with spare tire, to change them to regualr tires later, this is IMHO the biggest advantage I see with the Q50 over its competition (that spare tire is an option), no one that I know is offering RFT with spare tire option.
Cadillac does

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have RFTs and have no issue. It is completely personal as to what you like and hear. You have to test drive any car you are looking at buying with whatever options or at least ones you are most interested in getting. The response about you going to test drive is really the only answer. You are trying to objectify a subjective answer. I don't think it was a rude response.

I got my Q50 after testing just a hybrid non-sport. I didn't even drive my car before signing the deal. In hindsight, not a great idea, but I've had 4 Infiniti's and I have 3 others in my family so I knew going in that I would love it.

Now I absolutely love it. I drove my mom's G37 and it felt "wrong". :)

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Registered
121 Posts
Isn't the exchange of information and opinions the point of forums like this?
Sure is. And the information and opinion I'm offering is that you're served better by deciding for yourself if the 19's are too loud/harsh for you, rather than basing your purchasing decision on whether other people are bothered by it. Some people - like myself - have more sensitive ears than others, and what one person calls a "harsh ride" may just be "sporty" to the next. The point is, you're dealing with something that is completely subjective. This isn't a matter of "hey is my car broken, or are they all like this?"

I told you I wasn't trying to be a smartass. No reason to get pissed because I offered you an honest suggestion.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree with this statement. I got the 19" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 with sport tune suspension on my Q50S. On a bumpy road, you do feel every bump on the imperfection road. It can get ugly especially on a very bumpy road.
If you wants a more quite and comfort ride, stick with 17" and a non-sport tune suspension.

the 19" complained and jumped on every crack in the road, the 17" was fine,

·
Registered
139 Posts
While I can't give first hand answer about the 19" Sport wheels/tires on a non-Sport, I did just test drive the other day a Q50 Premium with the 17inchers and then right after a Q50S (of course with the 19" sports). I had been test driving the Lincoln MKZ and it has a super quite and comfortable ride (probably the best of any car I've ever driven), so after driving a Q50S Hybrid for a couple of days on an extended test drive, it was very drastic change in feeling. So I wanted to go back to my Infiniti dealer and test out a non-sport with the regular tires to feel the difference. From that I thought that the Sport was quite a bit more "harsh" on road surfaces. Though not quite the night and day I thought it might be between the two. The Premium with the 17" tires made it feel like the road imperfections were not as discernible. But I do NOT like the way they look. If I was really thinking I wanted the Premium instead of the Sport, I would definitely get the 19" Sports Wheel $1000 package added on. If you feel the same I'd definitely go test-drive one setup like that if you can. For me, I want the other Sport model features (they're a blast to drive) so guess I'll have to live with feeling the road more until I can switch the tires out to something that offers a smoother ride.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're exactly right. And that's what he did - gave you his opinion.
He gave no opinion other than to tell me to go try the 19s out for myself. I did not need to seek the advice of others to figure that out so if you want to call what he told me an "opinion" it certainly was not a worthwhile one.

Look - obviously I know that road noise is, by its nature, subjective but the whole point of asking for others' views is to get a general perspective on this. Like I said earlier - if everyone said the 19s were way louder there is very little reason to think my opinion would differ and I wouldn't bother to waste my time with another test drive. Same result if everyone said it was virtually the same. Judging from the few helpful posts on this thread (thank you to those who chimed in with useful information), it appears that I will, after all, have to drive both back to back myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Judging from the few helpful posts on this thread (thank you to those who chimed in with useful information), it appears that I will, after all, have to drive both back to back myself.
I can't imagine why you consider this to be a waste of time, when you're talking about a $45k~$55k purchase that you're going to be living with for the next 3 years or more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't imagine why you consider this to be a waste of time, when you're talking about a $45k~$55k purchase that you're going to be living with for the next 3 years or more.
Isn't what a waste of time is as subjective, if not more subjective, than road noise? :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sure is. And the information and opinion I'm offering is that you're served better by deciding for yourself if the 19's are too loud/harsh for you, rather than basing your purchasing decision on whether other people are bothered by it. Some people - like myself - have more sensitive ears than others, and what one person calls a "harsh ride" may just be "sporty" to the next. The point is, you're dealing with something that is completely subjective. This isn't a matter of "hey is my car broken, or are they all like this?"

I told you I wasn't trying to be a smartass. No reason to get pissed because I offered you an honest suggestion.
No one's getting pissed. You gave what I thought was an unhelpful suggestion so I let my own opinion of same known. Perhaps you would have taken it better if I prefaced what I said with "no offense, but..." or "not trying to be a smartass, but..." because apparently that's your barometer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.