Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been searching & searching all over the forums and can’t seem to find a post that would help me out

Ok, straight to the point, so I got a 2016 Q50 Premium. I bought it as a certified pre owned at my local Infiniti dealer. I love everything about it, just one problem. I feel hot air blowing down to my legs (no it’s not my A/C). Even with my A/C blowing ice cold, I can still feel heat blowing down to my legs. I turned the recirculation on & off and that wasn’t it. It has nothing to do with my A/C because it still blows ice cold air. I took it to my dealer to get it checked out, and they said it’s normal due to the turbos being near our feet. But it doesn’t feel normal to me because at night is when the hot air gets worse

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would make sure that this happens with the entire HVAC system off. Even if you have it set to AC and can feel it blowing cold at the top vents, doesn't mean an air mix door or mode door isn't at fault causing warm air to go out the feet vents, and only on the driver side. If you can verify it happens with the blower completely OFF then that will help narrow it down.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
So I’ve been searching & searching all over the forums and can’t seem to find a post that would help me out

Ok, straight to the point, so I got a 2016 Q50 Premium. I bought it as a certified pre owned at my local Infiniti dealer. I love everything about it, just one problem. I feel hot air blowing down to my legs (no it’s not my A/C). Even with my A/C blowing ice cold, I can still feel heat blowing down to my legs. I turned the recirculation on & off and that wasn’t it. It has nothing to do with my A/C because it still blows ice cold air. I took it to my dealer to get it checked out, and they said it’s normal due to the turbos being near our feet. But it doesn’t feel normal to me because at night is when the hot air gets worse
If I were to hear this statement from any dealer, I'd walk out immediately.

So by feeling heat blowing thru your legs, did you mean a constant warm air flow or the area just feels warm?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would make sure that this happens with the entire HVAC system off. Even if you have it set to AC and can feel it blowing cold at the top vents, doesn't mean an air mix door or mode door isn't at fault causing warm air to go out the feet vents, and only on the driver side. If you can verify it happens with the blower completely OFF then that will help narrow it down.
yeah everything is completely off. only time I turned my A/C on was to see if it was causing the problem, but nope. I’ve had everything off due to this problem I’m having and my warranty is up next month so I wanna fix this asap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I were to hear this statement from any dealer, I'd walk out immediately.

So by feeling heat blowing thru your legs, did you mean a constant warm air flow or the area just feels warm?
yeah it’s like a constant warm air flow, and it’s on both driver & passenger side. my warranty is up next month so I wanna get this fixed asap

·
Registered
99 Posts
That is not normal. Make them take you on a test drive of another Q off their lot and show you hot air blowing on your feet with Ice Cold AC blowing out of the vents. When they can't, say OK fix mine under the bumper to bumper warranty please!

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah it’s like a constant warm air flow, and it’s on both driver & passenger side. my warranty is up next month so I wanna get this fixed asap
Any update on this?

I just picked up a '17 Q50 a couple weeks back. One thing I've noticed is the ver30ddtt engine runs HOT. My temps for coolant are good, no idea how to check oil yet, but man I can feel the heat radiating. After driving for a while I can feel heat radiating through the firewall from the engine (AC/fans off). I was a bit concerned about this so I too asked the dealer. They too told me this was normal and the engine gets warm.. Hopefully that's true..

I can from a '17 WRX stage 2.5 ish before this car, had to let it go sadly but the 2.0L flat 4 engine ran so cool compared to this big 3.0L v6..

With my AC on though it completely overpowers the heat radiating in, but I'm curious if you found a conclusion or if my situation is at all similar.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Hybrid Premium
1 Posts

The same thing just happened to my 2014 Q50 hybrid premium, the drivers side air was HOT, even with the a/c on and set at 60 degrees. The problem was the temperature actuator.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The same thing just happened to my 2014 Q50 hybrid premium, the drivers side air was HOT, even with the a/c on and set at 60 degrees. The problem was the temperature actuator.
Yes, that is a very common issue. Experienced it myself. I think this thread is about something else though as it seems to be related to the VR30TT engine.

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD - Black Obsidian
67 Posts
Has anyone actually solved the issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone actually solved the issue?
not yet, I’m trying to get it solved by next month since my warranty is up by mid-November. the first time I took it in I wasn’t convinced when they told me it was normal due to the way the early VR30 engines are built with the turbos near our feet. I came across a YouTuber who goes by ThatGuyJosh and on one of his videos he stated that he was experiencing this problem until he upgraded to the AMS Heat Exchanger. I don’t know what to believe lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any update on this?

I just picked up a '17 Q50 a couple weeks back. One thing I've noticed is the ver30ddtt engine runs HOT. My temps for coolant are good, no idea how to check oil yet, but man I can feel the heat radiating. After driving for a while I can feel heat radiating through the firewall from the engine (AC/fans off). I was a bit concerned about this so I too asked the dealer. They too told me this was normal and the engine gets warm.. Hopefully that's true..

I can from a '17 WRX stage 2.5 ish before this car, had to let it go sadly but the 2.0L flat 4 engine ran so cool compared to this big 3.0L v6..

With my AC on though it completely overpowers the heat radiating in, but I'm curious if you found a conclusion or if my situation is at all similar.
yup, I can tell we got the same exact problem by just reading your explanation. some Q50 owners look at me with a weird/blank face expression when I tell them about it. but yeah, the guy at my local Infiniti dealer said the 2016 & 2017 models are the ones blowing hot air down to your feet due to the location of the turbos on these early VR30 engines, buuuuut, I got a friend who owns a 2017 model and he said he hasn’t experienced this, so I don’t know man, it’s pissing me off because my warranty is up next month and I really want to fix this
I’m going to TRY and schedule an appointment again but with a different person this time

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport RWD
34 Posts
Replying to follow thread, I feel this too around my feet and I always just thought it was normal since our cars run hot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yup, I can tell we got the same exact problem by just reading your explanation. some Q50 owners look at me with a weird/blank face expression when I tell them about it. but yeah, the guy at my local Infiniti dealer said the 2016 & 2017 models are the ones blowing hot air down to your feet due to the location of the turbos on these early VR30 engines, buuuuut, I got a friend who owns a 2017 model and he said he hasn’t experienced this, so I don’t know man, it’s pissing me off because my warranty is up next month and I really want to fix this
I’m going to TRY and schedule an appointment again but with a different person this time
I wouldn't say mine "blows" hot air, but driving with no fans on and the windows down last weekend when it was high 70s I could feel heat radiating down by my feet after a while. My wife noticed it too so I'm not totally crazy. Next time I will physically reach down there and touch some of the firewall padding etc, I'm curious if heat just kind of gets trapped down there, or if I will feel a lot of heat radiating from the firewall carpeted area behind the pedals! Or possibly the feet vent are just blowing some air.

On my WRX the thing blew air into the car with the fans off all the time, but it was a Subaru who aren't known for putting effort/$ into comfort features so I went with it figuring it was normal. I'm curious which or all of the above I have in my car. I'll report back when I can drive for 30+ minutes and check it out!

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport RWD
34 Posts
I wouldn't say mine "blows" hot air, but driving with no fans on and the windows down last weekend when it was high 70s I could feel heat radiating down by my feet after a while. My wife noticed it too so I'm not totally crazy. Next time I will physically reach down there and touch some of the firewall padding etc, I'm curious if heat just kind of gets trapped down there, or if I will feel a lot of heat radiating from the firewall carpeted area behind the pedals! Or possibly the feet vent are just blowing some air.

On my WRX the thing blew air into the car with the fans off all the time, but it was a Subaru who aren't known for putting effort/$ into comfort features so I went with it figuring it was normal. I'm curious which or all of the above I have in my car. I'll report back when I can drive for 30+ minutes and check it out!
I’ve experienced the same exact thing while driving with just the windows down. I reached down towards the gas pedal and felt an exposed metal piece next to my right foot towards the center of the car and it was hot to the touch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve experienced the same exact thing while driving with just the windows down. I reached down towards the gas pedal and felt an exposed metal piece next to my right foot towards the center of the car and it was hot to the touch.
Interesting, I will look for that in mine! I just bought it used, and noticed it came from MN and has some rust starting to form on some exposed metal down there... Need to figure out the best way to clear it up before it goes from minor freckles of rust to actual large spots.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

yeah I meant radiating lol my bad.

so I deliver parts for AutoZone, and we recently got new delivery vehicles (2020 Chevy Sonic Turbo’d) and guess what I started to notice? heat radiating around my feet, same as my Q50. soooo, that kind of made me think twice about this, but then again my friend isn’t experiencing this issue and he has a 2016 Q50 as well

but is it just me, or does the heat get worse at night time? there’s times where I’ll feel my shins tingling because of how crazy the heat feels radiating all around my feet at night time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmmm, I’m going to look into that before going to work tomorrow morning.

did you solve the issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah I meant radiating lol my bad.

so I deliver parts for AutoZone, and we recently got new delivery vehicles (2020 Chevy Sonic Turbo’d) and guess what I started to notice? heat radiating around my feet, same as my Q50. soooo, that kind of made me think twice about this, but then again my friend isn’t experiencing this issue and he has a 2016 Q50 as well

but is it just me, or does the heat get worse at night time? there’s times where I’ll feel my shins tingling because of how crazy the heat feels radiating all around my feet at night time
Did you drive in your friends 2016 Q50? I feel like radiating heat from the engine could be interpreted very differently from person to person! But that's wild about shins tingling from heat, I have not had mine get that hot before! I got a bit of driving to do today running some errands so I will report back with some testing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts