Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to learn more about e85 in relation to some parts I see being run on tuned Qs - if they are needed or purely additional enhancements etc. I know everyone goes about their builds a little different (ie Heat exchanger or not) but just trying to more learn what is needed to run e85, and why - and what are things that if you do in addition are better.

My vision is AMS Intakes - AMS LDP - Some type of exhaust mods to open things up and get more sound - HKS BOVs
Aditionally - what it takes to tune for/with e85 as an option to run

Thank you

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
There should be a few threads that go more in depth on this topic if you use the search feature but to give you a quick summary on the topic, you would need to upgrade the Fuel pumps, replace the fuel rails and install new Injectors to effectively run E85. This platform isn't setup very well to handle Eth blends from the factory even in lower quantities and personally I'd just avoid it all together and simply tune the car to whatever the highest octane gas you have available.

As for additional mods the AMS intakes don't add much power and are mostly for the sound, but XE, LDP, exhaust and a tune are the best mods you can
make for this platform bar none.... That and replace the stock tires which are total junk.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
^ what BHC said above. The number of injector failures I've seen/heard after upgrading pumps and using E85 are a bit high for me to say there is some correlation between them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting - I was under the impression that you might need to do more to run e85 but I have also heard of people who SAY they never did and have been able to run. I have 93octane locally available so that's my daily - but just wanted to see if I could have the ability to run either or if desired for reasons known without me saying! lol

I def know that the exhaust is restricted in addition it is entirely too quiet stock - just wanted to approach it in parts but it seems like I don't have a way to really do that because I can open the rear with a muffler delete or trying to find muffler options - and obv then the LDP but I will still hit restriction in the middle...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Hah it may not be an insane amount of labor to install but it's about 3-5K in parts to get a car running e85 , which is a pretty hefty price tag
given the size of the stock turbos and how they limit the car.

Personally LDP with a cat-back is the way to go but if you have a tight budget then an axle-back or muffler delete isn't a bad alternative
to pair with the lower-down pipes.

Reactions: JPerkmr954

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,822 Posts
I read a lot that the AMS intakes increase sound. That's not necessarily true. With the shroud off, oh yes! But with the shroud on (which mine always is), no perceptible increase in sound.

Truth be told, it actually sounds damn cool with the shroud off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hah it may not be an insane amount of labor to install but it's about 3-5K in parts to get a car running e85 , which is a pretty hefty price tag
given the size of the stock turbos and how they limit the car.

Personally LDP with a cat-back is the way to go but if you have a tight budget then an axle-back or muffler delete isn't a bad alternative
to pair with the lower-down pipes.
Im scared of muffler delete and then getting drone - so if I could do it as I said in sections - that would allow me break up costs some - but I'll have to see what options might be there....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read a lot that the AMS intakes increase sound. That's not necessarily true. With the shroud off, oh yes! But with the shroud on (which mine always is), no perceptible increase in sound.

I'm def getting the CAI - that's 100% happening.... I guess I need to see what some q50s non rs are getting out power wise with tunes at a similar setup as I'm planning.... because I'll never spend that on the HPFP... NOPE! 93 it is!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts

Oh was there any drive-ability issues with the shroud off? Or just more chance to take in hot-air
and dust?

I'm def getting the CAI - that's 100% happening.... I guess I need to see what some q50s non rs are getting out power wise with tunes at a similar setup as I'm planning.... because I'll never spend that on the HPFP... NOPE! 93 it is!
The tuning potentials for the regular Q50 and the RS variants are for all intensive purposes nearly identical, the only differences in the motor is a speed sensor on the turbos which is more for control/monitoring of the turbos and a 2nd water pump but if you get an aftermarket XE that won't be required.

The forum actually tracks the dyno numbers of many of the community members in the below thread if you are curious to see what other people are making on what modifications/tunes.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,132 Posts
You already have a CAI!!! The VR intakes breath VERY WELL and get "cold" air from outside the engine bay. Don't waste your time and $ on one..maybe later after ALL the other power mods.

Re exhaust: the biggest choke point in the OEM exhaust system is the secondary cats. LDP's replace the 1.25" with 2.5" pipe. So they should be high on your mod list.

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
Oh was there any drive-ability issues with the shroud off? Or just more chance to take in hot-air
and dust?
It was only for a short while. It was right after I installed my AMS expansion tanks and just wanted to drive the car around the block to check for leaks before buttoning her up. But during that short and slow drive, no driveability issues with the shroud off. ....But did I mention it sounded bad @$$? ;)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
It was only for a short while. It was right after I installed my AMS expansion tanks and just wanted to drive the car around the block to check for leaks before buttoning her up. But during that short and slow drive, no driveability issues with the shroud off. ....But did I mention it sounded bad @$$? ;)
Hah good to hear for those interested, would hate to see a repeat of the jerkyness everyone had with the Stillen intakes. Personally I'd probably snag the intakes for the sound alone, it may not be worth much if any power but sound is just as important to the driving experience for me. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You already have a CAI!!! The VR intakes breath VERY WELL and get "cold" air from outside the engine bay. Don't waste your time and $ on one..maybe later after ALL the other power mods.

Re exhaust: the biggest choke point in the OEM exhaust system is the secondary cats. LDP's replace the 1.25" with 2.5" pipe. So they should be high on your mod list.
Makes sense - I could live with a axle back... and LDP I just need a little more sound out of the car but I also want it to make sense - if the axleback will not work and tie in functionally similar to a full exhaust then I might as well just wait....
But that would be easier financially for me to do since the axle back isn't that much - I can get better sound - and it might even be a little less restricted... perhaps

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
Hah good to hear for those interested, would hate to see a repeat of the jerkyness everyone had with the Stillen intakes. Personally I'd probably snag the intakes for the sound alone, it may not be worth much if any power but sound is just as important to the driving experience for me. :)
Sure, but I wouldn't recommend leaving the shroud off all the time. Like you said, more dirt, and hot air. I know some people do. I think Boost in Motion did/does.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fisrt and foremost thanks everyone!
Going over my list a little more and easily getting rid of the E85 interest in my mind ( which was never the plan anyways) I just want to get my premium to the 400s whp and high 400s tq if I can without pushing too hard on the turbos. I wasn't sure if I could on only 93 - which was why Corn Fed came into my mind.

Don't need or even want to be the fastest in the land or anything - just incase I need to get jiggy here or there I can do so in a suitable manner. Looking good and clean is way more important. I'm reconsidering the Heat exchanger - as I don't see how it can hurt but only potentially help...

I know I want to use ECUTEK - just a matter of via whom - which I guess I need to look at. Im in Florida and I know BTuned is tossed around a lot - I've seen Racebox via a Facebook group ( need to research more ) or AMS ( remotely) which I'm sure is the most costly.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Top 3 tuners that are usually held in high regard is Racebox which I think @Boxy on the forums has a hand in, Seb from specialty Z and finally AMS.
But as always take you're time do the research and make sure you are okay with the pick.

As for performance around 420HP/450TQ at the wheel should be easily attainable on the platform with LDP and a tune and very safe, in regards to the Heat Exchange I'd
actually recommend one as these motors run pretty hot even in stock form.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to see what types of prices they are talking for remote tunes - just so I can make sense of all of it - but I think AMS and Racebox are in top contention.... but I have access to someone else also which could depend on price.

I guess I will start with sorting out this axle-back or full exhaust headache to get sound/and open things up a little so my daily driving is just more enjoyable - and then start working down the list for the rest. I was told LDP will give me a check engine and might impact driveability - so I guess I won't buy and install that until I'm literally ready tune. I need to speak to Infiniti to get my extended warranty also beforehand - lol

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
LDP from AMS shouldn't cause a CEL or drive-ability issues, for other platforms/brand that is typically the case where you want a tune right away.
But not a bad idea to do it all at once.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
A LDP won't typically result in a DTC. I believe the problem you are referring to was an issue with a few older LDPs but I don't think anyone here has experienced that recently.

IMHO, don't bother with an axle-back. All they do is make noise. If you're interested in a tune, you're just going to end up removing the axle-back and going with a CBE in order to get the most out of your tune. A pair of LDPs and a good CBE will be the cornerstone for any future upgrades regarding power. A JB4 would be cheaper than a tune to add with the exhaust upgrade. It would likely get you to the numbers you posted or at least pretty close with 93 octane fuel.

Besides, you can easily sell the JB4 here for most of what you'd have in it as there is a good market for used JB4s, especially because people in CA can't order from BMS. You'd have about half the money for a tune when you sell it.

Personally, I'd start with the exhaust. It won't affect your warranty. A CBE will make a noticeable difference in perceived power. Adding a LDP will add even more as you are removing the most restrictive part of the exhaust. The OEM LDP has the secondary cat in it and reduces down to 1 1/2". A 2.5" or 3" LDP really opens the exhaust up. Some go with a full downpipe replacement but that will eliminate your primary cats unless you buy a catted full downpipe. Depending on what environmental compliance testing you may have to register your car, that would require a catted full downpipe and those are expensive.

Take time in between mods and get a feel for what you've done and then decide what the next step should be. You may find that you're satisfied with what a CBE and LDPs do to improve the performance and be satisfied with that. You may become intoxicated with it (like most of us) and keep modifying the car for more power. What you don't want to do is to have to backtrack to remove parts that don't eventually fit in to your ultimate goal.

There is a great deal of knowledge here for you to draw upon as many of us have been down the road you're on now. It's like the old saying "Measure twice, cut once". Make sure you have a clear idea of your goal and determine the logical progression of steps to achieve it.

It's strictly a function of money! ;)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It's strictly a function of money! ;)
^This and let me add "mods are fun" (so far). My signature is testament to these two ideas.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts