Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yes, and no. In FL a HE makes sense. But it will still have charge air temps 20-30 degrees higher than the ambient air temperature. The way to really drop the charge air temp is to have your intercooler fluid cooled by the AC system. So it would be like winter all the time.

I saw a good YouTube video of a way to plumb the AC into the turbo intake heat exchangers.

Not sure if it was a "Killer chiller" or a dufferent better mousetrap. SOHO, Concept Z, Z1 or some other shops may know the best way to do it.

But an AMS HE will help a lot in maintaining the charge air temps from getting hot. When it's 90 even the AMS HE will heat soak fairly easily, unless you are moving over 40-50 MPH.

Runs light to light in traffic will heat soak and stay that way.

If it was me and I lived in FL l would research the best way to use your AC to cool your intake temp.

I think I may start looking into it myself IF my new turbos cause my charge air temps to get to high.

Remember your foot controls how much heat is made. More boost = more heat.

I wish I had saved the YouTube video of the system that works the best and is fairly easy to install.

Regardless a HE should be on your list.

Road tune will keep your temps down. Dyno tuning in the summer heat is problematic for sure. 4 fans and my temps went very high, and only very slowly went down.

Fans are no replacement for driving at 50 MPH on the road for cooling after each pull.

I don't like doing dyno pulls when it's hot and humid.. Tuning in those conditions is difficult too. So consider a remote tune and have open road not traffic so your car can cool down. You will get a better result.

My best mods in order were:
#1 Fast Intentions catted full downpipes and CBE
#2 Light rims and Z1 two piece brake rotors

That alone was such an improvement I almost considered not tuning it.

Next was AMS heat exchanger and HKS blowoff valves.. (in preparation to my EcuTec tune)

But just #1 & #2 were VERY good. It woke up my car and the weight loss of unsprung weight made it more nimble. It drove much better.

Reducing the unsprung weight is like stiffening your shock dampening/rebound since it reduces the mass to control.

After driving it like that see if you want to go more. If you get a JB4 you need the HE. (And or killer chiller kinda thing)

I'm rambling..Sorry. Hopefully this was some help. Research, research, research.
I totally appreciate this insight and it makes sense to me. I am trying to find a full CBE ( soon )
I am on lighter but bigger wheels - so the car is much smoother but they are bigger wheels at the end of the day still but I like how it rides significantly more. I am actually in need of rotors in the rears - and since I have aftermarket wheels I'd like something to make it all look together but premium trim doesn't have many options for slotted or drilled rotors or I have yet to find any and/or good reviews on them. I'm not going to do the BBK upgrade.

If I don't have to tune the car right away I can probably do the LDP sooner - I thought it would prevent me from being able to drive the car on a daily basis until I did so - so it was at the back of the list.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Wanted to ask you all about this FrozenBoost HE. Looking at the photos - it doesn't look much bigger than the stock one as least from what I can recall. I do like this one though as it is substantially cheaper than the AMS tho. In the Dyno thread I did see some people stating to have used the FrozenBoost but just want to see what you all know more than I. The savings isn't the only thing, but that is like 400 less than the AMS setup which I can use that money elsewhere.

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 '17 Redsport, Metallic Dynamic Sunstone Red
55 Posts
Keep in mind the FrozenBoost heat exchanger runs in tandem with the stock one, it doesn't replace it. This is an ok alternative but for the Florida heat nothing beats the AMS HE, it has the largest concentration of coolant channels and is a stand alone HE.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,824 Posts
Wanted to ask you all about this FrozenBoost HE. Looking at the photos - it doesn't look much bigger than the stock one as least from what I can recall. I do like this one though as it is substantially cheaper than the AMS tho. In the Dyno thread I did see some people stating to have used the FrozenBoost but just want to see what you all know more than I. The savings isn't the only thing, but that is like 400 less than the AMS setup which I can use that money elsewhere.
If I had to do it again, I'd go with the Mishimoto. $150 less than AMS ($530 vs. $680). Full size, stand-alone, designed for the 50.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If I had to do it again, I'd go with the Mishimoto. $150 less than AMS ($530 vs. $680). Full size, stand-alone, designed for the 50.

I do know of Mishimoto to be a good brand. I'm SLIGHTLY leaning to AMS because I'm going to be under extended warranty ( as long as the price isn't OD) and AMS is viewed by Infiniti as "OK" because they sell it under the motorsports accessories so they might be more inclined to look the other way....

·
Registered
188 Posts
I do know of Mishimoto to be a good brand. I'm SLIGHTLY leaning to AMS because I'm going to be under extended warranty ( as long as the price isn't OD) and AMS is viewed by Infiniti as "OK" because they sell it under the motorsports accessories so they might be more inclined to look the other way....
I went with the Mishimoto HE over the AMS a it's bigger and costs almost half. It's working great - I have full power every time I hit it whereas I'd heat soak easilly after just one spirited run prior to it being installed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I went with the Mishimoto HE over the AMS a it's bigger and costs almost half. It's working great - I have full power every time I hit it whereas I'd heat soak easilly after just one spirited run prior to it being installed.
Awesome - I'm going to def look into it.... Price saving is def important - they both look big - def substantially more than the stock. Def going to do my research.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Going thru Youtube videos for like the 88th time to listen to exhaust sound clips. I'm thinking my feelings are leaning towards Invidia - Mbrp - FI in no particular order. Still trying to lean to one over the other....
The Invidia seems to have a little bubble to it even on an otherwise stock setup - so I know with AMS LDP it will give a little more life to it under WOT....
I think for my sanity im going to try and force myself to only look for this Invidia.... Im tired of researching... lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Question for you all - Has anyone heard any issues about the AMS expanded coolant tank - and causing issues due to the increased capacity on water pump wear? I feel like I saw that, maybe on Facebook in the Inifiniti groups, but not confirmed so I wanted to ask here.... It really helps clean up the look of the bay IMO

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
Question for you all - Has anyone heard any issues about the AMS expanded coolant tank - and causing issues due to the increased capacity on water pump wear? I feel like I saw that, maybe on Facebook in the Inifiniti groups, but not confirmed so I wanted to ask here.... It really helps clean up the look of the bay IMO
The CAC pump doesn't know or care how much coolant is in the system. It will still pump the same flowrate. Whoever said that additional coolant capacity increases pump wear doesn't know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The CAC pump doesn't know or care how much coolant is in the system. It will still pump the same flowrate. Whoever said that additional coolant capacity increases pump wear doesn't know what they're talking about.
It sounded odd also, but I just took it as surface value and left it there. That makes sense tho, but it was made to see, that the additional volume overworked the pump.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
I worked with pumps for 30 years in the paper industry and I've never heard of overworking a pump with additional volume.

Reactions: JPerkmr954

·
Registered
9 Posts
Going thru Youtube videos for like the 88th time to listen to exhaust sound clips. I'm thinking my feelings are leaning towards Invidia - Mbrp - FI in no particular order. Still trying to lean to one over the other....
The Invidia seems to have a little bubble to it even on an otherwise stock setup - so I know with AMS LDP it will give a little more life to it under WOT....
I think for my sanity im going to try and force myself to only look for this Invidia.... Im tired of researching... lol
Invidia will not disappoint...best bang for your buck. Deep tone on idle, not too loud when crusing, no rasp and sporty at WOT.

Q60 RS400 AWD, AMS RA500, AMS Injectors, RA338 HPFP, AMS LPFP, AMS FF Kit, AMS Ecutek Tune, AMS Catted FDP, AMS HE, AMS Auxiliary Intercooler Tank, Invidia Gemini CBE, Stillen CAI with AEM filters, Add W1 V3.3 OCC and rolling with staggered 20s Verde V99 Axis wrap in Michelin AS/3 Plus

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
JP, if you are talking about the replacement engine coolant/after-cooler coolant expansion tanks which I think you are (as opposed to the auxiliary after-cooler tank that goes in the fender), do NOT be impressed by the additional fluid volume they provide. It's a joke. You'll be doing this mod primarily for aesthetics (which it does provide!), not so much performance. And you'll now need to use a wooden stick to check the 2" volume level since there is no clear/see-through viewing option. Still glad I did though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
JP, if you are talking about the replacement engine coolant/after-cooler coolant expansion tanks which I think you are (as opposed to the auxiliary after-cooler tank that goes in the fender), do NOT be impressed by the additional fluid volume they provide. It's a joke. You'll be doing this mod primarily for aesthetics (which it does provide!), not so much performance. And you'll now need to use a wooden stick to check the 2" volume level since there is no clear/see-through viewing option. Still glad I did though.
Yes, it is more to clean up the look..... I like how it looks way more - I did see the fender tank but I felt that might be a bit much to do ( not really sure what it is providing fluids for )

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Invidia will not disappoint...best bang for your buck. Deep tone on idle, not too loud when crusing, no rasp and sporty at WOT.

Q60 RS400 AWD, AMS RA500, AMS Injectors, RA338 HPFP, AMS LPFP, AMS FF Kit, AMS Ecutek Tune, AMS Catted FDP, AMS HE, AMS Auxiliary Intercooler Tank, Invidia Gemini CBE, Stillen CAI with AEM filters, Add W1 V3.3 OCC and rolling with staggered 20s Verde V99 Axis wrap in Michelin AS/3 Plus
Do you have any photos of your installed? Just curious... Would you say that with the AMS LDP you still maintain a good clean sound for the daily drive?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts

They sell the sizzle quite well, and deliver an average product...time and time again.

I saw comparisons, quality, and issues over time in the Subaru community.

It is like Rota to wheels.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Yes, it is more to clean up the look..... I like how it looks way more - I did see the fender tank but I felt that might be a bit much to do ( not really sure what it is providing fluids for )
The auxiliary intercooler tank that goes in the passenger side fender provides more coolant volume for the air to water intercooler system.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts