Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving in sport mode and braking for traffic at stop light, as I slowed down it seemed the transmission downshifted which jerked the car with engine braking - anyone experience this. Is there a fix?

Non hybrid model

·
Registered
697 Posts
Normal. That was the rev matching function kicking in as you were driving in sport mode

·
Registered
697 Posts
For further clarification rev match kicks in if it senses a harder than normal deceleration.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
odd thing is my foot was on the brake - so why rev match?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Doesn't sound like downshift rev matching. That happens when you manually downshift the car (with the paddles or the shifter knob). And it actually sometimes manifests itself as a bit of a surge on downshifting since revs are momentarily higher.

However, sport mode generally equals shift points at higher RPM's. Both up and down-shifts. Sounds to me like it downshifted at higher RPM's, therefore providing more pronounced engine braking. Impossible to say without being in the car, but it sounds normal to me.

If you like sport mode for the steering feel, but don't like the sport transmission, try setting your personal mode steering to Heavy/Quick and leaving transmission on Standard. Use personal mode instead of Sport mode. See how that works.

Make sense?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Think of it as in a race track, you brake hard into the turn and the car is rev matching and prepping gears to push hard out of the curve

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
It did this so that you'd have plenty of power available when you hit the gas again. The car just did automatically what I was taught to do when I learned to drive a car with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does this also happen when the car senses a curve in the road ahead? Sometimes it seems like the car will downshift before entering a turn. It then returns to normal after leaving the turn. I’ve gone through the same curve a few different times without changing the amount of gas I’m giving the car and it happens every time.

Is this supposed to happen that way, or am I dreaming?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I knew that this issue sounded familiar.

This is from the Manual, 5-19, under "NAVI Shift Control:"

When the navigation system detects that the vehicle is approaching a curved road, NAVI Shift Control will adjust the gear position if needed to help the driver run through the curve smoothly.

The manual then gives some precautions about the system, and then on the next page, it tells you how to enable/disable the system.

·
Registered
71 Posts

When the navigation system detects that the vehicle is approaching a curved road, NAVI Shift Control will adjust the gear position if needed to help the driver run through the curve smoothly.

The manual then gives some precautions about the system, and then on the next page, it tells you how to enable/disable the system.

Thanks! So I wasn't imagining things.
I guess I'm too lazy to read the manual. :D

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Navi shift control only happens if you have a destination programmed into the Navi.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does this also happen when the car senses a curve in the road ahead? Sometimes it seems like the car will downshift before entering a turn. It then returns to normal after leaving the turn. I’ve gone through the same curve a few different times without changing the amount of gas I’m giving the car and it happens every time.

Is this supposed to happen that way, or am I dreaming?
This was on a straight road. Seemed odd in that the G35x never did that, but was not a "sport" model and did not have Navi. I may very well appreciate it coming out of a turn, but on a manual the sensation seems more natural, you brake then downshift, not really a sudden jerk while braking which I wonder if it may cause the wheels to lose traction is more intense driving

·
Registered
697 Posts
It was normal on my M37s

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is definitely rev matching.

If it only occurs in Sport mode that is exactly what it is.

Every model that has a DS mode seems to have this feature.

I really like it on freeway entrance ramps.

It is normal on my 12' coupe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have seen this as well in my Q50S Hybrid. I thought it was a hybrid strangeness. Good to know it isn't just me.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts

This is really interesting. I have it turned off on mine. I think I might turn it on and try it out one day.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
And it definitely only works when the navigation is set to a destination?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.