Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m getting new turbos put on. I purchased the turbos on eBay brand new still in the box. They looked identical to the ones I have when I put them side-by-side. My mechanic has the two new turbos installed and tomorrow he’s putting the engine back up into position. He did say that I have the updated turbos whereas they will need to have a software update. I know he knows what he’s doing I’m not concerned about that they work on Lamborghinis and everything. But this is what he said when I asked what’s the difference in my old turbos and the updated turbos? : “They deleted the temperature sensors. Yur new one s don’t have a spot for them”
So my reason for this post is to ask the question has anyone experienced this is this a simple software update? And is this gonna screw up my Ecutek tune? Like should I expect to have to completely retune it by going back to the original map and start over? I was in the process of going back-and-forth with my tuner when I had a failure on one of my turbos. So the goal was to get the new turbos put back on and then continue on with my tune process from there. Any insight would be cool

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes, it's true they eliminated the EGT sensors on the 'revised' units. How it gets updated in the ECU (programming) not really sure on the details, although something would need to be done in that respect, would think. I'm sure others have done this and could give better insight on exactly what needs to be done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's true they eliminated the EGT sensors on the 'revised' units. How it gets updated in the ECU (programming) not really sure on the details, although something would need to be done in that respect, would think. I'm sure others have done this and could give better insight on exactly what needs to be done.
Ok thanks for the input
Is this updated version of a turbo better? Just wondering why they eliminated it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ok thanks for the input
Is this updated version of a turbo better? Just wondering why they eliminated it.
Not sure the reasoning why they got rid of it, but the 'revised' turbos are supposed to be not as prone to failure. Well, who knows what the true failure rate is for those that don't abuse or crank up the boost past its efficiency but apples to apples they are supposed to be better (less failure %).

Since you don't have the Red Sport, no need for the speed sensors (saying if you had one but ordered the turbos without that capability).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts