Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,388 Posts
I do not plan on being an early AMS RS600 convert. I will wait till a good handful have been built and successfully tuned AND have some GOOD on the road mileage history. The ver 1.1 may have the bugs ironed out, well unless, ver 1.0 is solid.
I won't do what I did with my Miata by being in the first production run of VF eng Supercharger kits. Uggg. I did not appreciate being a R&D tester for them. I went through about 3 revisions. (Sill suxed). I should have gotten an eaton style SC instead. 20/20 hindsight.

Reactions: Bullitt

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Personally for the money I’m all in on the R/T Turbos. Best bang for your buck imo. Unless your thinking your getting 800 hp on E85 with a Q. I’m sorry the platform has limitations I saw this with my own hopes of 5-600 hp etc. Now I’m happy with a nice, quick luxury sports car with four doors. It’s my wife’s car now. She just doesn’t know it lmao.

Not my fault this F’ing site and photos.

Reactions: ANMVQ and Dci

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Personally for the money I’m all in on the R/T Turbos. Best bang for your buck imo. Unless your thinking your getting 800 hp on E85 with a Q. I’m sorry the platform has limitations I saw this with my own hopes of 5-600 hp etc. Now I’m happy with a nice, quick luxury sports car with four doors. It’s my wife’s car now. She just doesn’t know it lmao.

Not my fault this F’ing site and photos.
Looks like RT jacked up their prices too now. $3200 is less appealing that 2k is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like RT jacked up their prices too now. $3200 is less appealing that 2k is.

Did it change from the $2200 + $1000 core ? I was under the impression the end cost was $2200 for the upgraded snails, after core exchange.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think I will wait until I see what turbo upgrade makes the most sense to get close to 600whp. If this fuel pump doesn’t have enough to get there then no sense of getting the turbos upgraded.
My personal opinion though, is that this upgraded hpfp currently offered is good for 600+ with the right turbo combo and tune.
I don’t believe the right turbo is on the market yet. That means, new housing and brand new design with bigger wheel.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I think I will wait until I see what turbo upgrade makes the most sense to get close to 600whp. If this fuel pump doesn’t have enough to get there then no sense of getting the turbos upgraded.
My personal opinion though, is that this upgraded hpfp currently offered is good for 600+ with the right turbo combo and tune.
I don’t believe the right turbo is on the market yet. That means, new housing and brand new design with bigger wheel.
Seems like someone should spend the effort to make an adapter plate to run a standard turbo flange like a T3. Then they can sell the flange for $$$ and people can use whatever turbo they want.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Luxe RWD
882 Posts
$4k is steep for 100whp besides the other upgrades required to support the power level.
I like to view it from stock specs, makes the pain not as bad. Would be a 300whp gain for me from stock form. Basically added another car lol

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I like to view it from stock specs, makes the pain not as bad. Would be a 300whp gain for me from stock form. Basically added another car lol
LMAO, thats an interesting thought. But you'd need a tune and supporting mods as those turbo's won't make 600whp with stock exhaust and downpipes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, I pushed my current fuel set and stock turbo to the limit!
Logged 4th gear to red line.
It maxed out @240k rpm on the turbo. Fuel pressure on the high side dropped very low at that point.
I’m not sure if the hpfp is maxed or low pressure pump is just not up to the job.

R/T run into the same issue and I see why

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think it’s the Hpfp and injectors that’s causing the issue after you add the R/T tuning turbos. Those injectors have trouble handling just E85 let alone adding turbos.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well injectors are fine for now, is the high side fuel pressure that seems to drop aka nostrum hpfp. If they only built it for 500-600 whp then fine.
That’s the reason they only getting 500whp too if you get my drift
So I’m thinking 800whp is not run on this hpfp....if that alpha car even makes that much.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The small Nostrum HPFP is only suited for the stock turbo capability. Upgraded turbos means upgrading to their big pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, getting the turbos replaced you might need to drop the engine. 15 hour labor added to your turbos upgrade.
I’m ok with the e85 pump for now. Turbos later
If you want the name of my shop pm me. Good guy very knowledgeable and he has done some work on the Q50 already.
By next week I should have my car up and running. If you want to drive it, we can meet around Boca Raton and you can have at it for a few pulls.
Yep southern Florida. The shop I use is close to Fort Lauderdale and he has run across these e85 moded q50. The issue of injector failure wasn’t fully understood but now that I’m digging deeper I’m getting a sense of what’s causing it.
i shall see in a few days how this e85 thing plays out.
Hey! I’m from south Florida as well 25 minutes from Boca. Ide like to know if that shop would be interested in maybe swapping out my turbos ? I’ve had my q50 for a few months and I’ve done ams intakes to full downpipes exhaust I’ve messed with e30 blends/ switched to methanol, then later now I’m just using 93. I’ve really wanted to find out from after doing my upper downpipes my self. Is it possible to change the turbos with out dropping the engine I’m rear wheel drive ? So far everyone says no it’s not.. but just want to find out to maybe take on that task.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,805 Posts
Hey! I’m from south Florida as well 25 minutes from Boca. Ide like to know if that shop would be interested in maybe swapping out my turbos ? I’ve had my q50 for a few months and I’ve done ams intakes to full downpipes exhaust I’ve messed with e30 blends/ switched to methanol, then later now I’m just using 93. I’ve really wanted to find out from after doing my upper downpipes my self. Is it possible to change the turbos with out dropping the engine I’m rear wheel drive ? So far everyone says no it’s not.. but just want to find out to maybe take on that task.
The engine has to be dropped to change turbos.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,388 Posts
Yes, you need to drop the motor to swap turbos. You also need upgraded injectors and both fuel pumps. If you have access to E85 consider the AMS flex fuel kit.

Be advised the Pure Stage 2 turbos, what I have, reduce torque at the low end. By a very noticable amount, but the top end is a huge advantage. It's a substantial trade off. Also, my MPG took a 2-3 MPG drop.

The power band is very similar to the VQ, but more power. 5K-7K (and beyond) is a HUGE difference. HOLD ON!! 😳 LOL.

I now get the same or better MPG at 71-73 MPH than I do at 50-65 MPG unlike before. The OEM turbos loved 50-55 MPH giving me my best MPG.

So ECO mode now hurts my MPG. Standard mode gives me the best MPG of the modes. Because of these changes make sure you don't mind the negitive changes as it's VERY expensive to go back to OEM if you don't like them. So make sure you want to change your turbos.

I don't think the down sides are addressed enough. For me it was worth it. However, I do miss the low end torque "bump" of the OEM turbos.

Also, a substantial retune is needed. I peak at 24 PSI now, which is in the new efficiency range of the reworked turbos.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,805 Posts
The engine has to be dropped to change turbos.
I spoke too soon. The SM doesn't indicate that the engine has to be dropped. It probably is a lot easier to work on if the engine is dropped though.

201 - 220 of 231 Posts