Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I spoke too soon. The SM doesn't indicate that the engine has to be dropped. It probably is a lot easier to work on if the engine is dropped though.
I think I read where someone else said the SM doesnt require it. Seems curious. Maybe just 1 of those things that's easier.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,806 Posts
I think I read where someone else said the SM doesnt require it. Seems curious. Maybe just 1 of those things that's easier.
For the 2.0t, the SM says the RWD version turbo can be changed without dropping the engine but the AWD version requires it.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
For the 2.0t, the SM says the RWD version turbo can be changed without dropping the engine but the AWD version requires it.
No 3.0 no care 🤣

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, you need to drop the motor to swap turbos. You also need upgraded injectors and both fuel pumps. If you have access to E85 consider the AMS flex fuel kit.

Be advised the Pure Stage 2 turbos, what I have, reduce torque at the low end. By a very noticable amount, but the top end is a huge advantage. It's a substantial trade off. Also, my MPG took a 2-3 MPG drop.

The power band is very similar to the VQ, but more power. 5K-7K (and beyond) is a HUGE difference. HOLD ON!! LOL.

I now get the same or better MPG at 71-73 MPH than I do at 50-65 MPG unlike before. The OEM turbos loved 50-55 MPH giving me my best MPG.

So ECO mode now hurts my MPG. Standard mode gives me the best MPG of the modes. Because of these changes make sure you don't mind the negitive changes as it's VERY expensive to go back to OEM if you don't like them. So make sure you want to change your turbos.

I don't think the down sides are addressed enough. For me it was worth it. However, I do miss the low end torque "bump" of the OEM turbos.

Also, a substantial retune is needed. I peak at 24 PSI now, which is in the new efficiency range of the reworked turbos.
Hi John - while I haven’t upgraded my stock turbos, I noticed a reduction in turbo lag upon installing the Killer Chiller unit. I guess it makes sense, as the (much) colder air is denser. My tuner was impressed with the efficiency of the KC, but I’m maxed out on fuel delivery at E30.

I temporarily removed my BMS WMI Kit stacked on my Ecutek, which added close to 40whp/tq and also reduced turbo lag, but I don’t need with the KC. I will consider reinstalling in the WMI in the spring and increase Meth-to-Water above 50/50 for the octane.

My next move is upgrading the HPFP and LPFP...probably gonna stay around E30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi John - while I haven’t upgraded my stock turbos, I noticed a reduction in turbo lag upon installing the Killer Chiller unit. I guess it makes sense, as the (much) colder air is denser. My tuner was impressed with the efficiency of the KC, but I’m maxed out on fuel delivery at E30.

I temporarily removed my BMS WMI Kit stacked on my Ecutek, which added close to 40whp/tq and also reduced turbo lag, but I don’t need with the KC. I will consider reinstalling in the WMI in the spring and increase Meth-to-Water above 50/50 for the octane.

Have you dynoed since you had the BMS WMI kit or the Killer Chiller? It would be good to see the benefit of each since you're running much cooler temps and should allow for a more aggressive tune compared to others.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Luxe RWD
882 Posts

Why are you doing the HPFP if you're not exceeding E30?

·
Registered
352 Posts
It is easy to max out the flow rate of the OEM HPFP with simply 93 from the pump while still on the OEM turbos. If you are looking to upgrade your turbos, the HPFP will be a bottleneck (and the LPFP immediately behind it).

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s a fair question. My tuner explained that my fuel delivery is maxed out at the current Tune and I could have higher gains staying at E30. But the primary reason is I have to drive 45 minutes to fill up. So getting a couple of 5 gallon cans of E85 allows me To make a trip every few weeks

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
It is easy to max out the flow rate of the OEM HPFP with simply 93 from the pump while still on the OEM turbos. If you are looking to upgrade your turbos, the HPFP will be a bottleneck (and the LPFP immediately behind it).
I had always read the LP pump was the limit before the HP.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Luxe RWD
882 Posts
I had always read the LP pump was the limit before the HP.
Same. I run an E30 map and did the LPFP and have sent numerous logs to my tuner. Guess I got lucky, never had any issues with either pumps maxing

Reactions: Ddnspider
221 - 231 of 231 Posts