Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I apologize for the long post, but I can't really summarize this in a short couple paragraphs. I know some of you are going to be able to point me in the right direction:

I'll start by saying I own a modified 2014 Q50 Sport(Stillen intakes, cat delete, custom exhaust, 93o tune).

Honestly, I'm horrified after reading these forums. I feel as if I bought a lemon that isn't able to be claimed as a lemon. I bought this car used about a month ago now, and it's been bounced around in and out of shops for 3 of the 4 weeks I've owned it. Long story short, it ran amazing the first 100 miles after buying it. Shortly after that 100 miles I started noticing shifting issues - thinking back this started after getting a car wash... I think. Originally the car refused to shift past 4th gear, however, all the lower 1-4 gears were fine. I drove it this way for about 30 minutes before the car completely cut power. After a restart it seemed to drive but still continued to lack any gear above 4th. I managed to creep my way over to a rip-off chain owned auto shop to get a full diag at a total of about $300. 30 minutes later and down $300, they diagnosed it as the following: P0031 A/F Sensor(B1), O2 Sensor(B2), P0717(Input speed sensor), and told me I required a new valve body and TCM. Obviously this place quoted me a ridiculous amount for repairs so off to the Infiniti dealer I went. After dropping it off and giving the dealer an entire day to work on it, the advisor told me I needed a new valve body and o2 sensor, his quote of $2500 seemed fair so I told him to go ahead with it. 2 business day later, said advisor calls me and tells me that it wasn't actually the valve body, and that I needed a new transmission. He offered to take the valve body they put in off free of charge(thankfully) so that I could pursue other(and obviously cheaper) alternatives to their $9,000 new transmission quote. So I did; I went to a nearby AMMCO that has amazing reviews and the same owner for 16 years - really decent, honest guy. He did a free "diag?" on it and told me the same thing - I needed a new transmission. I started looking for a new trans(hard to find for the 3.7 RWD sports btw... wth) I finally found one a week later and dropped $950 into it. The next week it arrived at AMCCO and as promised, the owner installed it the same day. I get a call later that day telling me that the car is ready to roll, and after I paid for labor, I drove it off the lot. Almost instantly I knew there was something not quite right... the shifting between 3rd & 4th, and 4th & 5th gears would cause a spike in RPM's before eventually shifting into the upper gear. I thought this was strange but put if off as maybe the adaptive learning trying to learn my driving style or that it needed to get broken in a little if the used trans had sat on a shelf for a while. I drove the car for about 20 miles the day I picked it up.

Fast forward to the next day and the first 15-20 minutes of driving are symptom free. After the car warms up I end up still experiencing the weird rev bounces during gear shifts, power loss when maintaining a cruising speed, etc. but now I'm also noticing that the car isn't accelerating like it should, it was slower, louder, and seemed bogged down, which I thought was a limp mode sort of thing. I pulled over to the side of the freeway and performed an ECU reset. After turning the car back on I was able to regain power in the gears, but the gears still had the strange over-revving issue. Later that day I noticed that whenever the car was at around 60 MPH(4-5th gear) the tachometer was all wacky. It would sit at around 2k RPM and then it would quickly dip to 800 RPM(almost like it was idling) before eventually upshifting or downshifting depending on if I was accelerating or decelerating. At this point I had no choice but to bring it to AutoZone to get it scanned. After scanning it they mentioned a P1743 code being thrown - which is a code for gear ratio issues with the A/T trying to turn into 7th gear but failing. The employee tried eluding to it being a TCM issue. On the way home for the scan I tried to shift it over to manual to see if I could manually shift into 7th gear - didn't happen. I could shift into it but I had no luck with any kind of power, just RPM increase. I brought it home, let it sit for about 2 hours, and then hopped back into it and drove it around. The first 15 minutes of driving were AMAZING. It was almost like nothing was wrong with it - then it started to bog down again with the same issues as before: noticeable power loss, no 7th gear. As I was bringing it back to AMMCO the check engine light finally came on, at which point I also lost my 6th gear. So now I'm currently out about $2500, a non-working 6th and 7th gear, and 3 weeks of my time spent on trying to fix this car I should be enjoying. The transmission is under warranty, so that's nice. But I have a hard time believing it's the transmission as it seems more electric related to me.

I know this is long, but if anyone like me is out there needlessly searching for a solution to an issue similar to this, hopefully this thread(and whoever helps) can provide input that is beneficial.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Blah blah long post. Blah blah take it to dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blah blah long post. Blah blah take it to dealership.
If you have an issue with the post length that was posted in a problems and solutions forum then don’t be a dick to someone new to the forum- maybe just don’t reply? I understand your likely lower than average IQ makes it difficult to read a couple long paragraphs, but to sum it up for you, I already did take it to the dealer, genius. Thank you for your unparalleled amount of wisdom.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
If you have an issue with the post length that was posted in a problems and solutions forum then don’t be a dick to someone new to the forum- maybe just don’t reply? I understand your likely lower than average IQ makes it difficult to read a couple long paragraphs, but to sum it up for you, I already did take it to the dealer, genius. Thank you for your unparalleled amount of wisdom.
While I agree the response was harsh, I think the point that djrice123 was rudely trying to make was when one writes using text walls like that, they are hard to read and follow. I would have to agree with that, especially when they are of a technical nature. Some people (and myself at times) see a text wall like that and not bother to read it at all. If you want people to read what you write, you should organize your thoughts into smaller paragraphs.

Personal insults have no place here. There can be disagreements without name-calling.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
A used transmission is always a bit of a gamble, given the issues you are reporting I'd say there is something happening on the software/electrical side of things,
ask the shop you brought it too (as their work was under warranty) if they would mind covering the diagnostic costs/work if you'd bring it into Infiniti.

The 09-2015 models did have some Transmission Control module issues so maybe you got a dud, regardless the dealership is the answer
in this situation as they have a high level consult tool and able to determine precisely what is going on with the transmission and engine
and be able to perform any calibrations that might have been missed by the 3rd party shop.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
761 Posts
...then don’t be a dick to someone new (..) I understand your likely lower than average IQ makes it difficult to read a couple long paragraphs, but ...
1. Welcome to this trustworthy and friendly forum full of information for its users!
2. Your first (!) post here makes you (possibly) the second dick in this thread!

@TO: If you are on warranty why not bring it (back) to the dealer?

Reactions: djrice123

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
Ok...move it along.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
OP.

At this point, you need the aamco guy to step up and figure it out or another trained professional.

Your last resort is obviously a new transmission or a trade-in.

·
Registered
2021 Q50RS AWD
26 Posts
Question, did you keep the old transmission? If so, maybe look into having it built completely and have it as a spare just in case. If you can check all the connections to the TCM, make sure you don’t have any possible wires loose in the harness or even a ground left loose.
I’m not sold on it being electrical yet as two different transmissions had different shifting issues. Also did the AAmco garage do anything like flushing it out, changing filters or just install it as is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question, did you keep the old transmission? If so, maybe look into having it built completely and have it as a spare just in case. If you can check all the connections to the TCM, make sure you don’t have any possible wires loose in the harness or even a ground left loose.
I’m not sold on it being electrical yet as two different transmissions had different shifting issues. Also did the AAmco garage do anything like flushing it out, changing filters or just install it as is?
To update this post: transmission completely failed not even 4 days after getting the car back. The second trans was also bad. Unbelievable that AMMCO told me to continue driving on a transmission that I had a gut feeling was bad. But I went against my better judgement and trusted their word because they obviously have far more expertise than I do.
They claimed to have done everything needed to keep the warranty: seals, gaskets, filter. Shitty situation all around for me. Now I have to drop another $1k into labor.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
To update this post: transmission completely failed not even 4 days after getting the car back. The second trans was also bad. Unbelievable that AMMCO told me to continue driving on a transmission that I had a gut feeling was bad. But I went against my better judgement and trusted their word because they obviously have far more expertise than I do.
They claimed to have done everything needed to keep the warranty: seals, gaskets, filter. Shitty situation all around for me. Now I have to drop another $1k into labor.
Huh? Didn't you say the AMMCO shop was under warranty??? Screw that man they should be replacing it on their dime.

Reactions: DeeCee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Huh? Didn't you say the AMMCO shop was under warranty??? Screw that man they should be replacing it on their dime.
The part is under warranty but not the labor from the shop. Me paying for the part makes the liability technically fall on me still, I think. Or that is what they will push for at least.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
The part is under warranty but not the labor from the shop. Me paying for the part makes the liability technically fall on me still, I think. Or that is what they will push for at least.
So they will offer a warranty of a used component (of unknown quality) that they installed but won't cover the labor of the technicians who performed the install???
Yeah that makes no sense.....

Typically any component under warranty would be covered by the seller or manufacturer of the component, the shop installing it
would be the ones who need to guarantee the quality of work and that nothing was damaged as a result of their repair/install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So they will offer a warranty of a used component (of unknown quality) that they installed but won't cover the labor of the technicians who performed the install???
Yeah that makes no sense.....

Typically any component under warranty would be covered by the seller or manufacturer of the component, the shop installing it
would be the ones who need to guarantee the quality of work and that nothing was damaged as a result of their repair/install.
The transmission was purchased from a “junk yard” and shipped to the shop for the install, it’s not covered under the shops warranty, but the sellers. And it says on their website that labor isn’t covered on the warranty. I still got shafted by the shop because they felt un-obliged to properly diagnose the car when I brought it back to them saying something wasn’t right

·
Registered
124 Posts
The transmission was purchased from a “junk yard” and shipped to the shop for the install, it’s not covered under the shops warranty, but the sellers. And it says on their website that labor isn’t covered on the warranty. I still got shafted by the shop because they felt un-obliged to properly diagnose the car when I brought it back to them saying something wasn’t right
Return the transmission to the “junk yard” and get another used one.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Aye but the shop is responsible for their labor and would have inspected the parts before installing, unless their follow up diagnosis clearly indicates
that it was a transmission failure then faulty install can't be ruled out especially after they ignored your concerns after picking up the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts