Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be hard wiring my V1 to the Q50 as soon as the kit arrives from Valentine. So, has anyone done this yet?

I usually get power from the overhead console, and place the V1 just under the rear view mirror. Has anyone yet removed the overhead console? Any tips/tricks on how to do it? How about which wire is on with the ignition?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, I've done this. I just used a fuse tap and hid the V1 connection block behind the fuse box panel. Then I ran a cord up the A-pillar and in the headliner over to the passengers section. Currently have the V1 using the visor clip but clipped in the headliner instead of the visor. Overall not too bad. Hard part was finding a good ground connection.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, I've done this. I just used a fuse tap and hid the V1 connection block behind the fuse box panel. Then I ran a cord up the A-pillar and in the headliner over to the passengers section. Currently have the V1 using the visor clip but clipped in the headliner instead of the visor. Overall not too bad. Hard part was finding a good ground connection.
I've always had mine clipped to the visor and wished I didn't have to. Can you post i pic of how yours is mounted please?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sure. Here are a couple pictures. You can see that it still extends into the visor area, so you need to pull out the visor to use it. Not the best solution but beats having to take down the radar if someone wants to use the visor. I think this may be a short term solution for me. I am playing with putting the V1 hidden on the rear deck. I know it will decrease performance but want to test out to see how much. I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of distance if I can get the stealth look. I use the V1 Bluetooth connection on my phone so I don't need to see the V1 display.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks much. I use the "concealed display" (mounted on my steering column) but do, of course, want maximum coverage and want to keep the main unit high on the windshield. I'm not "technical" when it comes to cars so I always have the dealer uninstall / reinstall the unit (hardwired) when I get a new car. I'll have to see if your solution will work for me. Thanks again for posting the photos :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice. Can you take a pic of the fuse box and where you connected it to? I want to do the same plus i need to hardwire a dash cam as well

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice. Can you take a pic of the fuse box and where you connected it to? I want to do the same plus i need to hardwire a dash cam as well
Here's what you need to do.

First remove the floor panel.

Then remove the panel that actually covers the fuse box. Note there is a black plastic screw that you have to remove in the back. It's right above the dead pedal. Once unscrewed simply pull on the cover till it pops off.

You will need to buy a fuse tap. It is ATM LP. You should be able to find this as most car accessories stores such as AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts. (Yes I know I have 2 different fuses in this and that they should be the same. Did not have a spare 20A fuse so used what I had available)

Now select a fuse to tap into. I selected the Power Socket (highlighted in yellow).

Pull the original fuse out and put into the fuse tap. Note, you need to put a fuse in both slots. One fuse is for the tap and the other is for the original outlet that you are tapping into. Once both are fill just put back in place.

Here is where I mounted my V1 hardware. I just velcro'ed it to the side and stuffed the cables along side it.

You will need to find a ground somewhere for the V1 adapter. Here is where I connected mine to. It's just below the hood release.

Once done turn power on and test that V1 powers up along with the power outlet or whichever item you tapped into. Once verified put covers back on. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks very much! I do have one question though; has anyone tried to wire it to the sunroof? I've heard of some people doing this in other cars. Regarding this, I've also heard that that method can reduce the power of the V1. It seems that this method (mounting on the side panel) though is much easier.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks very much! I do have one question though; has anyone tried to wire it to the sunroof? I've heard of some people doing this in other cars. Regarding this, I've also heard that that method can reduce the power of the V1. It seems that this method (mounting on the side panel) though is much easier.
Have not heard of anyone wiring to sunroof but many have wired to rear mirror. That is a bit easier and you can buy some quick tap wires. See the first link.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have not heard of anyone wiring to sunroof but many have wired to rear mirror. That is a bit easier and you can buy some quick tap wires. See the first link.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
V1 hard wire install

Hi guys,

Picking up my Q50 on Friday. Want to do a hard wire for my V1 asap, as the location of the 12v receptacle is in a crazy place - the center console.
I prefer to dash mount the detector. Anybody do it that way, and it is straight forward?

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.