Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I accelerate moderately while making a turn, occasionally the orange VDC light flashes. If I continue to accelerate, the car slows/accelerates a few times in rapid succession. If the safety systems were active, it disables the front portion. I don't think it is applying the brakes - feels more like it is modulating the throttle.

This has happened to me 15+ times and is really annoying. The tires are not slipping and this is not very hard acceleration.

Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have yet see the VDC light flash even if I accelerate fast on a curve or do a sharp cornering. Is the Safety Shield on or off when you do that?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happens either way SS on and off.

If others arenas seeing this, I probably have some kind of faulty sensor that feeds the VDC decision.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The accelerator pedal should not modulate if the SS is not enabled.
Try going to the "Driver Assistance" and disable everything to see if it help. If it does, it could be the SS is on even when it show it is off.

Happens either way SS on and off.

If others arenas seeing this, I probably have some kind of faulty sensor that feeds the VDC decision.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
with TC off i've pinned the accelerator mid corner and done some nice slides intentionally, but with everything left on and i give it a little more gas then usual, no flashing lights no VDC warning even when i get a little chirp out of the tires

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Mine does it too. It does it every time I make a turn and accelerate quickly. It's really annoying because sometimes when I exit a parking lot onto a main street, I need to get up to speed quick, and the car can do it...but instead it jerks the car like it is stalling out. VDC light flashes and front safety shield is turned off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have yet see the VDC light flash even if I accelerate fast on a curve or do a sharp cornering. Is the Safety Shield on or off when you do that?
Is your Q50 and S Hybrid like Aggie's and Greenhut's?? Just wondering if could be a Hybrid issue vs the 3.7 gasser.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't recall mine doing that. What drive mode you set on when that happen? I can give it a try today and pay more attention to any anomaly this time.

Mine does it too. It does it every time I make a turn and accelerate quickly. It's really annoying because sometimes when I exit a parking lot onto a main street, I need to get up to speed quick, and the car can do it...but instead it jerks the car like it is stalling out. VDC light flashes and front safety shield is turned off.
Mine is a S Hybrid.

Is your Q50 and S Hybrid like Aggie's and Greenhut's?? Just wondering if could be a Hybrid issue vs the 3.7 gasser.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I accelerate moderately while making a turn, occasionally the orange VDC light flashes. If I continue to accelerate, the car slows/accelerates a few times in rapid succession. If the safety systems were active, it disables the front portion. I don't think it is applying the brakes - feels more like it is modulating the throttle.

This has happened to me 15+ times and is really annoying. The tires are not slipping and this is not very hard acceleration.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I just experienced this for the first time driving out of a parking lot the other day. I was turning right out of the lot on to a busy 4 lane road and needed to accelerate moderately. It almost felt like the transmission was "slipping" or the car stalling, though I doubt that was the case. It essentially wouldn't accelerate and just kind of jolted back and forth for a good 5 seconds until I let off the gas and it recovered. The entire time the VDC was flashing or on and I did not have safety shield toggled on (meaning the steering wheel toggle switch was not enabled). It scared my wife quite a bit and she asked me why I was "shaking" back and forth... that gives you an idea of how powerfully the car was jolting.

Frankly, it was a safety issue as had oncoming traffic been coming faster, I might have caused an accident in being unable to accelerate. What If I had been merging on a freeway or making an unprotected left turn on to a busy street, etc?

I took it to OC Infinti and they basically said no error codes came up, that everything checked out and there's not much they can do except for me monitoring it. They thought I might have been in eco-mode (I wasn't, I was in standard); even if I were in Eco-mode, it definitely shouldn't behave in that manner. Not sure how else I can proceed with this issue at this time... I would think Infiniti would like to know more about something like this but the service guy didn't seem interested in escalating it.

For what it's worth, I'm in a RWD Sport Hybrid with deluxe tech / nav.

Not sure if it's related but I've also had the collision intervention go off when driving in a similar situation and it seems like the car noticed a pole or shadow or something that was nearby as I was turning out. It wasn't nearly as aggressive in modulating the pedal in those scenarios though so I don't think it is related. In those cases, safety shield was on and the front portion would be disabled temporarily until I toggled it off/on.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Now passed 1800 miles, and I've never seen it. My only guess is that those who have had this occur may have a different definition of "moderate acceleration," than the rest of us.;) I would have it checked at the dealer, however.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I tried a few time earlier and here is what I noticed.
First time I tried in the morning and the road/tires slightly wet due to rain last night.
I slowly drive off the parking lots in EV mode and than accelerate hard when I am about to get out of the parking lots to make a right turn. The car did skip a little and the traction light came on for about 1 second and off. I was manage to accelerate fairly quickly and take off without any delay. I assume the traction control light on is normal because it detect a skip and compensate any furthur skidding. At least I know my traction control is working. You can easily disable it by pressing the button under the steering wheel on the lower left hand side. Of course not recommended on wet condition.
As I drove and about to make a sharp 90 degree right turn, I slow down, brake briefly and punch the accelerate to make a quick turn and the car just take off. Again, no delay in accceleration.
When the road/tires dried up, I rarely get the traction control light on.
Now, I wonder if RFT got something to do with it. Mine is not the original Dunlop RFT, I got the non-RFT Michelin A/S3 tires.
We need someone else with non-RFT and test this.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I tried a few time earlier and here is what I noticed.
First time I tried in the morning and the road/tires slightly wet due to rain last night.
I slowly drive off the parking lots in EV mode and than accelerate hard when I am about to get out of the parking lots to make a right turn. The car did skip a little and the traction light came on for about 1 second and off. I was manage to accelerate fairly quickly and take off without any delay. I assume the traction control light on is normal because it detect a skip and compensate any furthur skidding. At least I know my traction control is working. You can easily disable it by pressing the button under the steering wheel on the lower left hand side. Of course not recommended on wet condition.
As I drove and about to make a sharp 90 degree right turn, I slow down, brake briefly and punch the accelerate to make a quick turn and the car just take off. Again, no delay in accceleration.
When the road/tires dried up, I rarely get the traction control light on.
Now, I wonder if RFT got something to do with it. Mine is not the original Dunlop RFT, I got the non-RFT Michelin A/S3 tires.
We need someone else with non-RFT and test this.
For me, it's only when you make a turn and accelerate from a standstill. It doesn't do it, at let's say when I'm making a slow right turn then accelerate at a traffic light.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This was my experience as well. I haven't noticed it while performing slow turns, which are akin to a rolling start. I was at a complete stop in the parking lot and then made the right turn, which is when the slippage occurred.

Now passed 1800 miles, and I've never seen it. My only guess is that those who have had this occur may have a different definition of "moderate acceleration," than the rest of us.;) I would have it checked at the dealer, however.
I understand that people will interpret "moderate acceleration" differently but I'm still at the stage where I am breaking the car in so I wouldn't even call it brisk acceleration. I have experienced VDC on my G37 many times and I drove that car more rigorously, but I never experienced anything like this. I did take it to the dealer and as i mentioned in my previous post, they didn't have much to say... =/

I sort of understand where they're coming from at this point since it's only happened to me once. I'll just have to start "accelerating moderately" out of parking lots more often to see if I can reproduce it again. :D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I tried it 3 times on my short trip around work.
Complete stop, punch the accelerator and making a sharp right turn at the same time. Standard drive mode.
1st try: the car jolt briefly and propel forward fairly quickly (no traction control light blink).
2nd try: same thing
3rd try: no jolt, but felt a skid (traction light blink twice) and car propell forward fairly quickly.
The jolt felt like a slight delay in acceleration.
Is this what you guys are experiencing?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried it 3 times on my short trip around work.
Complete stop, punch the accelerator and making a sharp right turn at the same time. Standard drive mode.
1st try: the car jolt briefly and propel forward fairly quickly (no traction control light blink).
2nd try: same thing
3rd try: no jolt, but felt a skid (traction light blink twice) and car propell forward fairly quickly.
The jolt felt like a slight delay in acceleration.
Is this what you guys are experiencing?
Not really. Kazilla described what I experienced really well. The car violently jolts back and forth. VDC can apply brakes, but that is not what the deceleration feels like, but Im not sure. Imagine you were accelerating moderately, and every half second the car alternates between slowing/accelerating normally. happens 3-5 times. The more you are accelerating at the time, the more dramatic the forward/backward jerking.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.