Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for feedback everyone. I really appreciate it.

I pulled literally everything out of the cabin and it did get better, but there is still a driver door rattle (not-music related) and a rattle somewhere in the dash on rougher sections of highway (I'm talking I5 here, not a beat country road).

I checked this car exhaustively for any accident damage, it's definitely clean with original paint and body panels.

Tires are balanced nicely with no vibration.

I have a bad feeling dealer won't find anything and this will be a waste of time.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Thanks for feedback everyone. I really appreciate it.

I pulled literally everything out of the cabin and it did get better, but there is still a driver door rattle (not-music related) and a rattle somewhere in the dash on rougher sections of highway (I'm talking I5 here, not a beat country road).

I checked this car exhaustively for any accident damage, it's definitely clean with original paint and body panels.

Tires are balanced nicely with no vibration.

I have a bad feeling dealer won't find anything and this will be a waste of time.
Be optimistic. There are people out there that are wizards at dealing with that stuff but they are rare. Hope for the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is kind of funny. I heard both doors rattling driving to the dealer. I dropped it off, discussed the rattles in detail and then casually mentioned I noticed the clear coat was starting to peel on the top of the headlights in a small spot, not expecting anything from that.

They call, and say the technician couldn't find any rattles after driving the car 10 miles ??? Then they say they are getting corporate approval to replace the $2000 headlights plus labor under warranty and will replace them both.

So, I guess it turned out ok?

I'll just pop the door panels off myself and I'm pretty sure I'll finda loose wire bundle somewhere, that's what it sounds like.

What a weird turnout haha.

·
Registered
281 Posts
again, most door panel rattles are from the plastic piece behind the inner door handle.

infiniti calls it a "handle escutcheon ". you pop that lil guy off and add a small piece of foam, takes like 5 seconds to take it off yourself. when you hear the rattles, just touch the plastic behind the inner door handle to see if it goes away.

next most common rattle usually stems from the door handle/lock cables. the door panels move enough that they sometimes rattle against the cables. if you hear rattles at higher volumes or in the mid bass region of sound, hold the door panel at the grab handle location to see if it goes away. if it does, thats what youll need to quell. incidentally, its slightly possible that the power window wires/connectors are rattling.

a less common but equally annoying rattle will emanate from the window regulator assembly. this will manifest when the window is up and goes away immediately once rolled down any amount. i havent isolated this 100% but i think theres a little flex in the regulator assembly somewhere, just enough to cause metal to metal contact. the easiest fix is to roll the window down like .01% or more and it will go away, lol. the more involved answer is to yank the panel and start figuring out the source inside the door.

the door cards move quite a bit on heavy bass. CLD tiles are going to be the ultimate answer here but quality stuff is EXPENSIVE. resonix is currently the best CLD money can buy but its heavy and expensive. heres a good comparison on facebook, its a sound deadening test setup by car audio people (insane people) using actual test equipment instead of just knock on door doors, lol. Log into Facebook back when it was done on the diyma forums, one or two larger mfgs actually got butthurt about the results because theyre stuff didnt work very well.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,415 Posts
Has the OP owned the car since new? If it was used, it is possible the previous owner (or a shop) was inside the door messing around with something and didn't get everything back in place and properly secured.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I believe someone on YT posted a DIY on putting those adhesive pads on the back of the door panels. Think that was also posted on here somewhere.

Reactions: dal3_gribble

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
again, most door panel rattles are from the plastic piece behind the inner door handle.

infiniti calls it a "handle escutcheon ". you pop that lil guy off and add a small piece of foam, takes like 5 seconds to take it off yourself. when you hear the rattles, just touch the plastic behind the inner door handle to see if it goes away.

next most common rattle usually stems from the door handle/lock cables. the door panels move enough that they sometimes rattle against the cables. if you hear rattles at higher volumes or in the mid bass region of sound, hold the door panel at the grab handle location to see if it goes away. if it does, thats what youll need to quell. incidentally, its slightly possible that the power window wires/connectors are rattling.

a less common but equally annoying rattle will emanate from the window regulator assembly. this will manifest when the window is up and goes away immediately once rolled down any amount. i havent isolated this 100% but i think theres a little flex in the regulator assembly somewhere, just enough to cause metal to metal contact. the easiest fix is to roll the window down like .01% or more and it will go away, lol. the more involved answer is to yank the panel and start figuring out the source inside the door.

the door cards move quite a bit on heavy bass. CLD tiles are going to be the ultimate answer here but quality stuff is EXPENSIVE. resonix is currently the best CLD money can buy but its heavy and expensive. heres a good comparison on facebook, its a sound deadening test setup by car audio people (insane people) using actual test equipment instead of just knock on door doors, lol. Log into Facebook back when it was done on the diyma forums, one or two larger mfgs actually got butthurt about the results because theyre stuff didnt work very well.
Thank you SO much for taking the time to respond with all of this great information.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Has the OP owned the car since new? If it was used, it is possible the previous owner (or a shop) was inside the door messing around with something and didn't get everything back in place and properly secured.
I bought after a 2 year lease return (elderly couple, only 6k miles/yr). It could have been opened up. Either way, I'll take matters into my own hands now.

Still stoked the headlights got replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the looks of the car and the performance. It is a 2019 in superb shape with 20k miles.

Stock suspension.
I swapped out the runflats for some conventional tires, tires to 35psi.
I emptied everything out of everywhere.

Running on the highway in rougher patches results in the dash, door panels, and roof console vibrating and rattling for miles at a time. It is so damn annoying. I'm taking it in for warranty work on this issue next week. It rattles like a cheap Chevy rental. It's embarassing. It's enough to make me consider selling it. It angers the blood.

I can't be the only one. How do y'all do it?
I had a bad rattle in my headliner. Turned out to me my glasses rattling around in the overhead sunglass holder. I pulled the unit out and hot glued felt inside the entire sunglasses cavity. Viola! My biggest rattle is gone😎

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
14 Posts
I like the looks of the car and the performance. It is a 2019 in superb shape with 20k miles.

Stock suspension.

Running on the highway in rougher patches results in the dash, door panels, and roof console vibrating and rattling for miles at a time. It is so damn annoying. I'm taking it in for warranty work on this issue next week. It rattles like a cheap Chevy rental. It's embarassing. It's enough to make me consider selling it. It angers the blood.

That's very strange I have a 2014 Q50 sport with 74k and the car is a vault literally solid as a rock I've had Toyotas Nissans Cadillacs Lincolns this is the most Rock solid car that I've ever owned I'm sorry for your troubles,,,

·
Registered
5,885 Posts

Stock suspension.

On some early models back in 2016-17 there were some door rattles across a few models, a forum member posted a way to fix it with some sound deadening
tape for those interested. I assume the replacement tires you got are solid so maybe as John suggested drop the cold temps in the tires to around 31-32psi see
if that quells some of the noise.

With that said car noise is pretty subjective, what is noticeable/tolerable to one person is not so for others I know I've been chasing
down slight cabin rattles for the better part of a year now but no one hears it when they drive with me. XD

Still cars under warranty so not a bad idea to have dealer look it over, someone might have forgot to torque down some bolts
when the car was on the line or the wheel balance is off.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I had a bad rattle in my headliner. Turned out to me my glasses rattling around in the overhead sunglass holder. I pulled the unit out and hot glued felt inside the entire sunglasses cavity. Viola! My biggest rattle is gone😎
Hah yeah I did that with my G, well still technically need to pull out the tray and glue the felt down but the cut cloth is there. Hah

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Thank you SO much for taking the time to respond with all of this great information.
See! I told you there were a few wizards at this, didn't I? I guess you found your unicorn.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts