Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Video in Motion achievable for CHEAP

18K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  DanZamn 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
This is my first post, just got my CPO Q50 sport about 2 weeks ago and loving it. One thing that bothered me, as it seems it does with most people is the nav is kind of, well, outdated and slow. Me being a software designer, wanted stream lined and faster, a.k.a Waze. Not wanting to spend ridiculous money on what people are calling the Prestige mod, or purchasing a Android mod or Phoenix radio (although they are quite awesome), I didnt want to spend a ridiculous price at almost $500 to just get video to play while driving.

Low and behold I found a solution, actually two. If people are interested in the solution, PM me. I will explain the setup of the rest.

Essentially, and I know I'm not the first nor last to do this, my setup goes like this:

Chromecast hooked up to HDMI to RCA converter. Output RCA wires then has YELLOW going to car directly, RED and WHITE go to audio 3.5mm jack and to car directly. Power for Chromecast and HDMI converter powered off of the 2 USB plugs in console. My phone (S8+) established as WIFI hotspot and Chromecast connects to that to do screen casting.

As most know, the thorn in this setup is video wont play unless car is parked, BOOOOO. But I figured it out and man was it easy. Shame on all the people trying to charge hundreds of dollars for solutions with wiring harnesses and mod boxes and ridiculous other things. As one of my software teachers said once, KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

So in any case, hope you guys find it interesting and let me know if you want to know how. I really want to charge at least $5 bucks for this, but not sure if I will do that. Putting myself through school is expensive LOL, especially with this car :)

Future things working on:
Custom switch panel hidden in dash which will run all accessories
OBDII reader hoooked into dash using two way mirror glass on windshield with pico projector to project HUD display of speed, directions, torque, RPM, etc...
LED grill emblems on front and rear
Carbon dash kit already on order and awaiting arrival
LED under glows in cabin under all seats hooked into garage door opener buttons on visor (the LED module uses RF signal which was perfect for the garage buttons to change the colors :) )

See less See more
#2 ·
Apparently K.I.S.S. is lost on you since you don't understand the importance of driving and keeping it simple so as not to be distracted..... If you are ever in an accident and god forbid hurt or kill someone, you can be so proud that you figured out how to play video on a small pointless screen in a car while moving. Congratulations.

Welcome to the forum....

#4 · (Edited)
Apparently K.I.S.S. is lost on you since you don't understand the importance of driving and keeping it simple so as not to be distracted..... If you are ever in an accident and god forbid hurt or kill someone, you can be so proud that you figured out how to play video on a small pointless screen in a car while moving. Congratulations.

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! I couldn't have said it better. The outright stupidity of morons like this is still amazing to me. With all the incidences of people being hurt and killed by distracted driving, it still doesn't deter some people of putting everyone else in danger. Those who have been on the forum have read my story of being sideswiped and almost being knocked off the road by some jackass watching a video while merging from one Interstate onto another. I'm sure this idiot will ignore this, but I just had to respond.

#5 ·
I am not defending the guy or what he is doing, but he did state he was doing this so he could see Waze on the screen. And if that is the case, how many people on here complain that the stock navigation stinks, and use Waze anyways? They currently are looking at an even smaller screen in probably not an optimum location. Y'all are projecting your own incidents (and sorry you got sideswiped off a highway) onto this guy (who you so rudely called a moron by the way), who stated he thinks the navigation is slow and crappy and was trying to come up with a solution, not watch videos(granted he does say get video to play while driving, so maybe I am defending him for no need). How many people are killed and in accidents because of cellphones, or heck even screaming kids in the back of the car fighting? Try not to be so condescending.

The real problem with this post, is that people will eventually use it to do what you describe: watching a movie while driving, but that is on the operator anyways. I personally would not want to be the person who sold this "idea" for $5 and possibly get my name drug in a wrongful death lawsuit because someone used what I sold them and killed somebody. If he wants to put it out there, he should do it for free and put a disclaimer that you do it at your own risk. But isn't everything we do in and with our cars, at our own risk? How many people are killed and in accidents because of cellphones, or heck even screaming kids in the back of the car fighting? Try not to be so condescending.

#6 ·
Yes, a lot of things can be dangerous, even if we are doing everything possible not to get hurt. Great legal advice: Make it free so I don't get sued! Sorry, calling him a moron or jackass isn't being condescending, it's being accurate. If by some unfortunate circumstance, he's in court for causing an accident and hurting or killing someone, because he was watching a video while driving, I would hope the judge would use the same language. Glancing at a navigation screen CAN be distracting, but it's much safer than watching a video while driving. Please don't tell be that the driver would only be listening to it. And as you said, you recognize that he did say: I didnt want to spend a ridiculous price at almost $500 to just get video to play while driving. No, it isn't just because I had the unfortunate experience of "meeting" one of these jerks; I'd feel the same way if it had never happened.

#8 ·
Judging from the above responses, my idea to install a drop-down screen where the sun visors are and putting an LED HD video projector in the center console isn't going to sell either.....there goes my Ferrari Enzo....

#9 ·
But can you make it work with InTouch? Lol

#11 · (Edited)
OBDII reader hoooked into dash using two way mirror glass on windshield with pico projector to project HUD display of speed, directions, torque, RPM, etc...
LED grill emblems on front and rear Carbon dash kit already on order and awaiting arrival
LED under glows in cabin under all seats hooked into garage door opener buttons on visor (the LED module uses RF signal which was perfect for the garage buttons to change the colors :) )
I'm going to use the disappointed supervisor firing speech voice for this one:

"So, I feel we have different needs when it comes to vehicles.

I want to get the hole shot launch for the freeway on-ramp 99% of the time, stay luxurious and comfortable, and enjoy the excitement 400 HP provides.

You want to throw an effin rave with glow sticks, holograms, LEDs, and watching the latest viral YouTube video, while squeezing 5 bucks from each twerp who can't discern your lack of applied logic to vehicle modification.

Good luck in your future endeavors, perhaps try out your acceptance at the Honda Civic forums..."

#17 ·
I'm waiting for the heads-up display option that projects the video on the windshield so I don't have to take my eyes off the road and still be able to watch Dr. Phil episodes while driving.

#19 ·
Who says I'm being facetious? Just think if you could watch Jerry Springer while driving? What a boon to the betterment of mankind that would be. People don't get enough television time at home so this would open up untold hours of video entertainment while driving. Just set your nanny tech, sit back and watch cat videos on your way to work!

God, I love America!

#20 ·
You have to understand that there are an enormous number of people who will believe anything they see on the Internet. (How do you think Trump was elected, and still has followers? LOL) Please think about what you are doing to our society before you type.;)

#24 ·
I think bringing up politics here is totally inappropriate regardless of what your ideals are. There are plenty of places to voice your political opinions online, this is not one of them. Some emojis for intent:

:) :) :)

Reactions: eric618 and Ruxor
#25 ·
Agreed.

Reactions: Ruxor
#28 · (Edited)
Regarding Selzini's post, I think he was just suggesting that we ought not to jump to conclusions.

Anyhow, I'd like to see something like this. Not for watching videos and such, but I'd like Waze, Ecutek and Dragy on my main screen, instead of having to attach a phone holder to my windshield.

#30 ·
Hey Everyone,
This is my first post, just got my CPO Q50 sport about 2 weeks ago and loving it. One thing that bothered me, as it seems it does with most people is the nav is kind of, well, outdated and slow. Me being a software designer, wanted stream lined and faster, a.k.a Waze. Not wanting to spend ridiculous money on what people are calling the Prestige mod, or purchasing a Android mod or Phoenix radio (although they are quite awesome), I didnt want to spend a ridiculous price at almost $500 to just get video to play while driving.

Low and behold I found a solution, actually two. If people are interested in the solution, PM me. I will explain the setup of the rest.

Essentially, and I know I'm not the first nor last to do this, my setup goes like this:

Chromecast hooked up to HDMI to RCA converter. Output RCA wires then has YELLOW going to car directly, RED and WHITE go to audio 3.5mm jack and to car directly. Power for Chromecast and HDMI converter powered off of the 2 USB plugs in console. My phone (S8+) established as WIFI hotspot and Chromecast connects to that to do screen casting.

As most know, the thorn in this setup is video wont play unless car is parked, BOOOOO. But I figured it out and man was it easy. Shame on all the people trying to charge hundreds of dollars for solutions with wiring harnesses and mod boxes and ridiculous other things. As one of my software teachers said once, KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

So in any case, hope you guys find it interesting and let me know if you want to know how. I really want to charge at least $5 bucks for this, but not sure if I will do that. Putting myself through school is expensive LOL, especially with this car :)

LED grill emblems on front and rear
Carbon dash kit already on order and awaiting arrival
so what’s the fix?

#31 ·
The OP hasn't posted here in over 2 years. I doubt you'll get a response.

#39 ·