Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an aftermarket remote start installed yet? I asked my dealer and he recommended Viper since we don't have an OEM option. I found a smart system at best buy for $340 installed. I asked the dealer if they would need to install it so there aren't any warranty issues but haven't heard back.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Dealers in general will outsource for remote start install. You would be better in finding Viper authorized installer as they would be more knowledgable about install procedure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update..
The dealership confirmed there is no OEM starter they offer for the Q50 and recommend the Viper Smart Start system. (No extra key fob, just an app on your smart phone. No range limit, just need cell service) But they don't do the install. He said they tried it once and messed up an engine... So he sent me to Best Buy down the road who is an authorized dealer and they normally recommend. When I got there BB didn't have the 2014 Q50 in the computer system yet so didn't know what other parts and labor are needed to make it all work. The installer sent me to another BB location where he knew their head tech and said that guy could figure out what parts it needed and do it for me. I went there and he looked up the car again in their system, obviously he didn't find it either and said there is nothing they can do without that info so I'm SOL.
It sounds like this system they use tells them which wiring harness, relays, and modules they need and it's not something they would touch without that info.
- I'm not sure what else to do now.

·
Registered
585 Posts
- I'm not sure what else to do now.
Can't recommend what to do. I can offer a suggestion on what NOT to do.

Do NOT take your Q50 to Best Buy for installation. Find a reputable dealer that won't have the most recently hired minimum wage worker installing your system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately no reputable dealers have any clue what to do with our cars either. I've called every shop in town and everyone's responses is... "Umm 2014? Q what?"

·
Premium Member
95 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I read that thread and mentioned it to my dealership. They had no idea how it was done. The service manager thought the dealer MrSamTee used could have modified a QX remote start to work on the Q but said he wouldn't try it himself. It's amazing how inconsistent the dealerships can be. I might go see another dealer to hear their thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Yeah I read that thread and mentioned it to my dealership. They had no idea how it was done. The service manager thought the dealer MrSamTee used could have modified a QX remote start to work on the Q but said he wouldn't try it himself. It's amazing how inconsistent the dealerships can be. I might go see another dealer to hear their thoughts.
Apparently the QX system does not use the same frequency as the Q50 so the remote start system wouldn't work in the Q50. I agree that it sucks that there is inconsistency between dealerships and that the aftermarket tech isn't shared around. I still haven't gotten a chance to go to the dealership that MrSamTee went to, I haven't had the time to make it out there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had an after market remote start installed in my Q50 today. It's a Compustar. I also had the Dronemobile module installed so I can start it with their app from my phone. That way I won't have any concerns with range.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Just had an after market remote start installed in my Q50 today. It's a Compustar. I also had the Dronemobile module installed so I can start it with their app from my phone. That way I won't have any concerns with range.
Does it use the oem keyfob incase u dont get the dronemobile module?

·
Registered
585 Posts
t's a Compustar. I also had the Dronemobile module installed...
Compustar has a bunch of models listed on their website. Do you know which one you bought?

Did you get a deal on the yearly fee for Drone Mobile? The site lists it at 49.99 a year or $99 for 3 years

Did you have it installed at the dealer? Warranty voided?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Compustar has a bunch of models listed on their website. Do you know which one you bought?

Did you get a deal on the yearly fee for Drone Mobile? The site lists it at 49.99 a year or $99 for 3 years

Did you have it installed at the dealer? Warranty voided?
Don't know the model. According to the tech that installed it, the issue is the firmware that's used and not the actual starter. I got one that's compatible with the Dronemobile the first year is free. As far as the firmware, I believe he said he used the JX firmware. There's actually a website (google "idatalink") that has all of the data required to install one. (I wouldn't do it myself, mind you. But any tech worth their salt should be able to do it if you direct them to the site.)

With respect to installation, all of the dealers I spoke to do not do the install themselves but job it out to professional installers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
With respect to installation, all of the dealers I spoke to do not do the install themselves but job it out to professional installers.
Thanks for the response. I understand that the outsource the installation, its just that if you go through a dealer, then it doesn't affect your warranty (in most cases).

How do you like it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the response. I understand that the outsource the installation, its just that if you go through a dealer, then it doesn't affect your warranty (in most cases).

How do you like it?
I've had one in every car I've owned in the last 15 years. Wouldn't be without one up here in Canada.

I didn't bother asking if there was one for the Q50 when I bought it, just assumed there would be. When it started to get cold out, I then found out that since the vehicle is so new, they didn't have a solution for it. Most techs said that they would probably have it for next winter. I ended up finding a guy who's involved in the R&D for remote starters and he was able to figure it out. Took him 5 hours, but it works like a charm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a installer at a dealership, we do these cars all the time. As far as the install goes it is not super hard for a seasoned vet in the install world. However it is something I would not try if you have never done one. You have to make a lot of connections at different locations. The worst of which is behind the instrument cluster...if you go viper/Clifford/python you will need the main system and a dball or dball2 pretty much the same thing. Works like a charm, all listed can add smart start to it also

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also would like to mention that no matter what the dealership says it does not void any warranty of any kind as long as you have it installed by a certified installer. MECP is the standard certification for installers and has three levels, basic , advanced, master

·
Registered
145 Posts
Has anyone had better success with this? I like the idea of an app to start it. I'm afraid to take it to a place that would mess it up. I understand people don't like best buy but here in El Paso there's a lot of shady people.

Reactions: D'zQ50LYF
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.