Premium Member
291 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found a colder plug that might work a 9 instead of 8 looks like the same length and everything would just need to be gapped properly (iridium) for each 100 hp you want to go a step colder
These won’t work. Wrong thread size (14mm vs our 12mm)

Im interested in bringing one step colder plugs to my tuner on dyno day so I’m hoping we find a solution

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ended getting the gtr plugs to replace soon, currently at 40000 miles, I was told by a tuner to gap them to .024 and the are .031 right now. What do you people think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll eventually be going ecutek tune, just waiting for HKS BOV and Burger HX and inlets to be installed, currently on jb4 with fuel wires and Megan LDP and y pipe with PLM axle back, I figured our turbos would be good for 20 to 21 psi and those plugs be fine at .031

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
20-21 PSI? That's pretty high for a JB4. What octane fuel are you using? 21 PSI pushes the OEM turbos off their efficiency curve at 4750 RPM. All you're essentially doing is generating heat over 18 PSI and stressing the turbos and engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm only peaking 16 to 17 on jb4, basically I will get an ecutek soon but just thinking of keeping the .031 gap not go .024 unless I should be tapping it tighter to run more boost once ecutek on 93 with e10

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm only peaking 16 to 17 on jb4, basically I will get an ecutek soon but just thinking of keeping the .031 gap not go .024 unless I should be tapping it tighter to run more boost once ecutek on 93 with e10
IIRC, even AMS didn't have that small gap when they did that record run / dyno pull. Can't remember the number but it's def between .031 and .024. Someone may please keep me honest.

·
Registered
263 Posts
A much lower gap is not necessary unless your boost pressure is at risk for blowing out your spark. I wouldn't go too drastic unless your tuner requires it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I should be okay at .031 then, I feel like he wanted to go all out boost on these little turbos. Seems like I'll be okay with them gtr plugs. Appreciate it everyone who responded

·
Registered
997 Posts
There can be slight differences in the plug design that can be beneficial in higher hp situations. For instance, sometimes the ground strap is shortened to help it dissipate heat better. But without having all of the specs in front us/ having the plugs physically in hand to compare. It’s hard to know. I saw a guy say he put GTR plugs in. But this doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Necessarily.
GT-R plugs are: DILKAR8A8

+16 Q50/+17 Q60 VR30 plugs are: DILKAR8K8G

Here are the specs for the NGK plugs:

NGK Spark Plug Chart

So it looks like GT-R plugs will fit, with some differences in the firing end construction.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Since this thread has had good info about the spark plug specifics for the VR30, I wanted to make folks aware of fake NGK and Denso Spark Plugs getting sold through Amazon. I certainly was unaware fake spark plugs were being offered in the Amazon marketplace.

Someone was kind enough to post a video on YT about it:

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
The most obvious difference is the ground electrode. Good to know and an excellent find.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Since this thread has had good info about the spark plug specifics for the VR30, I wanted to make folks aware of fake NGK and Denso Spark Plugs getting sold through Amazon. I certainly was unaware fake spark plugs were being offered in the Amazon marketplace....
I had just recently purchased a pair of Samsung micro SD cards from Amazon that were fakes. I was quite surprised. I would have expected that from Ebay but not Amazon. Live and learn.

At least there was a no questions asked return.

Make sure it says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com".

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I skimmed this thread has anyone changed there plugs yet? I have and tried using brisk iridium version not the silver supposed to be OE equivalent they worked great for about 1k then started getting blowout on cylinder 5 I believe. Car is ecutek tuned had 55k miles that's why I changed the plugs to begin with and had a roll race and could get the brisk sooner than the oem and figured I would try them. I ended up putting new NGK oem back in. I keep hearing people said they gapped them down but if you look at OEM/NGK they have a extra tip on ground and I didn't think it was wise touch the gap and I thought the box states so not to adjust gap. Anyways to change the plugs 1st time took me about an hour, second, and third time I'm down to 20 minutes. There is video on youtube that is decent for showing you what you need to do. The plugs are 12mm thread 14mm socket which are tiny and got this to help highly recommend: Amazon.com: EWK 14mm 12 Point Magnetic Thin Wall Spark Plug Socket for BMW Mini Cooper Nissan: Automotive

·
Registered
997 Posts
The plugs are 12mm thread 14mm socket which are tiny and got this to help highly recommend: Amazon.com: EWK 14mm 12 Point Magnetic Thin Wall Spark Plug Socket for BMW Mini Cooper Nissan: Automotive
Good find, although some of the bad (legit?) reviews concern me.

Burger Tuning also offers a similar socket for a little more money ($19):

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good find, although some of the bad (legit?) reviews concern me.

Burger Tuning also offers a similar socket for a little more money ($19):

I used that socket no problems worked as advertised and with amazon can return to kohls get refund in hours. So for $8.39 free shipping with prime no brainer for me but to each is own... If it was a socket I could use on other projects or that is going to get more than

61 - 80 of 81 Posts