Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 9 heat range plug the R35s use is a NGK 22401-RS080-09 (Also known as NGK R2558E-9) but stock DILKAR plugs are 12mmx19mm and that plug I listed is 12mmx26.5mm.so it is a long reach plug and may not work.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just changed the spark plugs on my RS at 70.5k miles. I changed them to the OEM NGK spark plugs (Part No. 22401-5CA1D, DILKAR8K8G).

Below are photos of what the OEM spark plugs look like after I took them out.

If looking at the engine bay from the front of the vehicle, this photo indicates the locations of the spark plugs.

Bottom-left of photo = passenger-side, closest to the front of the vehicle
Top-right of photo = driver-side, closest to the back of the vehicle
Etc.

Passenger-side, Front - I’m not sure why there’s damage at the middle portion. I removed this spark plug easily with no hiccups, just like the rest of the plugs.

Passenger-side, Middle - Looks Acceptable

Passenger-side, Rear - Looks Acceptable

Driver-side, Front - Looks Acceptable

Driver-side, Middle - Oil on the Threads

Driver-Side, Rear - Oil on the Threads

If anyone has proficient experience with analyzing spark plugs, please chime in.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Below are more photos at different angles of the Passenger-Side, Front spark plug.
1581885035492.jpeg

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
You need close up pics of the electrode to make any kind of accurate points regarding the plugs. It's odd that the bottom of the insulator on the coil end of the plug looks almost rusted...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Closeup of Passenger-side, Front

Closeup of Passenger-Side, Middle

Closeup of Passenger-Side, Rear

Closeup of Driver-Side, Front

Closeup of Driver-Side, Middle

Closeup of Driver-Side, Rear

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Heat range looks ok. Hard to tell on the timing mark on the ground strap but 1 pick shows it at the bend so that's good. Rich idle and a couple look slightly lean at WOT. Overall not bad. I'd want to richen it up a bit at WOT and lean out idle.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks Spider. I’m planning on getting an ECUtek remote tune soon (which is the reason why I changed the spark plugs). I’ll share your information and my spark plug photos with my tuner - although I’m pretty sure he’d be able to figure out how my car runs when I send him some data logs.

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Necro posting lol.
True, but in all fairness, a good reminder to add to my "things to do" to the Q while under the "Stay-at-Home" order... 🏡

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yes add anti seize.
For s**ts and giggles, I looked at RockAuto for the NGK (OEM) Spark Plugs, and came across this info (in bold):

Laser Iridium
Laser Iridium® spark plugs provide superior ignitability and long service life. Smallest tip diameter available Iridium / Platinum surfaces ensure slow wear rate providing stable idle, superior anti fouling, improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions
  • Laser welded Iridium center electrode tip
  • Platinum disc welded to backside of ground electrode provides long life
  • Trivalent Metal Plating for superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing
  • Tapered ground electrode to minimize quenching
  • Consistent and stable spark
  • Faster starts and quicker acceleration
  • Better fuel economy and lower emissions

By inspection, this would imply adding anti-seize paste to the spark plug threads is not required.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Every one and their brother claims that they have additive packs, coats, treatments,etc. I would still use a dab of anti seize on something like a spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
For those wanting to buy the NGK OEM Spark Plug, DILKAR8K8G, Napa Auto Parts is having a 25% discount when you buy three (3) + items. Before the discount, the plugs are $19.49 each. After the discount, $14.62 each.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Registered
21 Posts
I kept getting P0300 codes. First couple were few and far between at ~28K. at 32K P0300 was more frequent and finally cylinder 2 just stopped firing all together. Put in Brisk plugs but I dont like them, low/mid throttle response is muted compared to stock. Just bought the OEM NGK to put back in there. So yeah not sure what these oem plugs are rated for, but mine lasted about 28K. Anecdote learned I'd prob plan to replace them every 20K.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts