Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
Reactions: twin_snails

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had a Mustang back in the day that was making a similar noise. I drove it to my mechanic but he didn't have time to work on it. Told me to bring it back in a few days. Drove home and the car shut off about a mile from home. Was able to limp it home, running like crap and tow it back to the mechanic the next day. I think it ended up being a rocker arm. He said he could rebuild it but that there was no guarantee that some metal didn't get down into the engine so I just ended up getting a crate motor from Ford.

Most people I've shown the video to here at work say it sounds like a vacuum leak. But it doesn't hurt to take it to Infiniti to be sure.

Like I said the only thing that bothers me is taking the OCC off.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We have guys getting turbos and engines replaced bringing their car in with tunes, but a catch can is going to be a problem? Agree the inconsistency with how these warranty claims are handled warrants taking it off to be safe but what a PIA! A catch can can do nothing but good, assuming no vacuum leak. Even then harmless rough idle that is easily fixed.
it can be potentially denied because it falls under the emissions system. installing a OCC is technically tampering with emissions equipment.

OP, seems your noise is related to the OOC install. id remove it prior to visiting the dealership for two reasons; to prevent a potential headache about warranty claim denial and also to see if you missed/damaged anything during the install.

Reactions: darien87

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
it can be potentially denied because it falls under the emissions system. installing a OCC is technically tampering with emissions equipment.

OP, seems your noise is related to the OOC install. id remove it prior to visiting the dealership for two reasons; to prevent a potential headache about warranty claim denial and also to see if you missed/damaged anything during the install.
I'll be taking it off tonight. Just weird that it went 3 weeks without an issue.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
IF it’s a vacuum leak, one of the hoses could’ve simply come loose, or the clamp may have been over tightened, causing it to cut into the hose. Won’t know until it’s off, inspected, and you see if the noise goes away

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
I'll be taking it off tonight. Just weird that it went 3 weeks without an issue.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's a vacuum leak. That will be simple to resolve.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Put it back to stock and the noise is still there. Sounds like the noise is coming from the lower right side of the engine.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Put it back to stock and the noise is still there. Sounds like the noise is coming from the lower right side of the engine.
Damn. Yeah…time to take it in…

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Dropped it off at Infiniti. Tech guy said it sounded like an exhaust leak. Labor rate is $239 an hour. If I end up having to spend that much just to be told it's an exhaust leak and not covered under warranty, that's gonna suck.

I asked the service advisor if installing a catch can would void my warranty and he said "yes".

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
Dropped it off at Infiniti. Tech guy said it sounded like an exhaust leak. Labor rate is $239 an hour. If I end up having to spend that much just to be told it's an exhaust leak and not covered under warranty, that's gonna suck.

I asked the service advisor if installing a catch can would void my warranty and he said "yes".
I hope that's all it is. I can't believe they think that an OCC would be cause to reject a warranty claim due to an engine problem.

FYI, they can't void your warranty, just deny a specific warranty claim.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,763 Posts
It's louder on the drivers side, It sounds like when my turbo's went. If it is an exhaust leek, it's from the top cat converter.

Reactions: darien87

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It's louder on the drivers side, It sounds like when my turbo's went. If it is an exhaust leek, it's from the top cat converter.
Funny enough when the tow truck driver heard it he thought it was the turbo going bad.

The Infiniti tech thought it sounded like it was coming from above the cat.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I hope that's all it is. I can't believe they think that an OCC would be cause to reject a warranty claim due to an engine problem.

FYI, they can't void your warranty, just deny a specific warranty claim.
But I assumed that if they rejected a warranty claim that would put some sort of strike on the car's "file" that any dealership could pull up and would screw me for other stuff going forward?

Not true?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
But I assumed that if they rejected a warranty claim that would put some sort of strike on the car's "file" that any dealership could pull up and would screw me for other stuff going forward?

Not true?
I don't know what documentation Infiniti accumulates and acts on, but they would have to prove that whatever subsequent warranty claim you might file was a direct result of your OCC, which I can't fathom what that might be. If you have a warranty claim on your transmission, InTouch system, or something else unrelated to an installed OCC, they can't deny it.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 Signature Edition -- I know, shocking given my Username
198 Posts

1. Why would you have to pay labor for a warranty repair?
2. Why would you essentially let them know that you had a catch can installed until last night?

It's one thing to ask hypotheticals when you're there for an oil change with a car in good working order, but mentioning it when your engine sounds like it has emphysema probably isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
1. Why would you have to pay labor for a warranty repair?
2. Why would you essentially let them know that you had a catch can installed until last night?

It's one thing to ask hypotheticals when you're there for an oil change with a car in good working order, but mentioning it when your engine sounds like it has emphysema probably isn't a good idea.
1. Let's say I drove over a rock and it tore a hole in my exhaust. Would Infiniti be obligated to repair that? I wouldn't think so. But the service advisor just told me what their rate was and what I would be on the hook for if they found the issue wasn't covered under warranty.

2. I didn't tell him I had a catch can on my car. I just told him I had read about the carbon deposit issue with DI cars. I then asked if Infiniti made a catch can. He said, "no". Then I asked if I were to add a catch can to my car would that void my warranty. He said, "yes".

21 - 40 of 54 Posts