Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Q50 Signature Edition -- I know, shocking given my Username
198 Posts
1. Let's say I drove over a rock and it tore a hole in my exhaust. Would Infiniti be obligated to repair that? I wouldn't think so. But the service advisor just told me what their rate was and what I would be on the hook for if they found the issue wasn't covered under warranty.

2. I didn't tell him I had a catch can on my car. I just told him I had read about the carbon deposit issue with DI cars. I then asked if Infiniti made a catch can. He said, "no". Then I asked if I were to add a catch can to my car would that void my warranty. He said, "yes".
car sputtering in background "Hey...do catch cans void warranties?" :LOL:

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,154 Posts
2. I didn't tell him I had a catch can on my car. I just told him I had read about the carbon deposit issue with DI cars. I then asked if Infiniti made a catch can. He said, "no". Then I asked if I were to add a catch can to my car would that void my warranty. He said, "yes".
Again, in the US they can't "Void" your warranty. They can deny coverage for a specific issue if they can tie the issue to a modification you made to the car. The inconsistency of how that is determined and enforced is the frustrating part to those that are unfortunate enough to need a warranty claim.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
Again, in the US they can't "Void" your warranty. They can deny coverage for a specific issue if they can tie the issue to a modification you made to the car. The inconsistency of how that is determined and enforced is the frustrating part to those that are unfortunate enough to need a warranty claim.
I thought I said that earlier. No one listens to me anymore.

Reactions: mapleDom and jcb

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,154 Posts
I've been here for 2 1/2 years and believe you have shared this knowledge dozens of times!
You guys kill me. No one said they weren't listening to you. I was merely relaying what the service advisor said.
It is important to reiterate it every time it comes up because many users may see only this one thread and believe that their warranty can be/is voided by any type of mod.

Reactions: darien87

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
You guys kill me. No one said they weren't listening to you. I was merely relaying what the service advisor said.
I've been here for 2 1/2 years and believe you have shared this knowledge dozens of times!

It is important to reiterate it every time it comes up because many users may see only this one thread and believe that their warranty can be/is voided by any type of mod.
It was a joke. Ha Ha?

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
122 Posts
This is similar to what my wife says “I said that earlier; you don’t listen to me anymore!”. Lol 😂

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I asked the service advisor if installing a catch can would void my warranty and he said "yes".
You may want to ask that question to the service manager not a service advisor.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Just called Infiniti and they said it was actually a leaky turbo on the driver's side, so that's getting replaced.

So I guess that's probably why I thought this car was slow. The 2021 loaner car I'm driving right now feels much faster. Guess that explains it. But man, it seems like turbo issues are downright common on these cars.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
Just called Infiniti and they said it was actually a leaky turbo on the driver's side, so that's getting replaced.

So I guess that's probably why I thought this car was slow. The 2021 loaner car I'm driving right now feels much faster. Guess that explains it. But man, it seems like turbo issues are downright common on these cars.
I figured it wasn't a vacuum or exhaust leak. That just sounded mechanical to me. Glad they were able to diagnose the turbo.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Specifically they said it's a "left side turbo leak at plug" whatever that means.

I aksed how long it would take because I assumed they'd have to order the turbo, but the advisor said they have them in stock. Must be a fairly common issue if they're stocking replacement turbo's. So in the 10,000 or so miles that I've had this car, I've had the water pump and a turbo replaced. Starting to smell Lemon-y.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So I spoke to the service manager, (not just my advisor) today and asked him about catch cans. He said in regards to the warranty, it's kind of a gray area because it is a modification but he didn't see it as anything that would negatively affect the car. So he didn't seem to think there would be a problem with it.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
So I spoke to the service manager, (not just my advisor) today and asked him about catch cans. He said in regards to the warranty, it's kind of a gray area because it is a modification but he didn't see it as anything that would negatively affect the car. So he didn't seem to think there would be a problem with it.
A voice of reason in the wilderness?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts