Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment complex and next week I'll be picking up my Obsidian Q50. What is a good waterless product that I can use to keep the car clean and protected? I want to avoid putting swirl marks on the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use optimum no rinse in a garden sprayer w/ their washmitt designed for that product. Dry it off with microfiber waffle weave towels. When really dirty I take it to a local coin op car wash and just spray it down then bring it home to wash.

Main thing is to always always wash and dry it in the shade. Also wash in straight lines across the car, never in a swirling motion.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Using a waterless car wash and or a CA duster is worst than taking your car for a free dealership wash.

I'd rather take it to the dealership and let them put swirls on it.
I can't comment about a waterless product, and it does sound scary to me, but I've used a California Duster to whisk off fine particles from the car for years, and have never harmed the paint. Of course, if the car is really dirty, it needs a good washing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Using a waterless car wash and or a CA duster is worst than taking your car for a free dealership wash.

I'd rather take it to the dealership and let them put swirls on it.
That Ultimate stuff looks a little scary. Optimum No Rinse and Shine is well known and works extremely well. Many high end detailers use it.

I wouldn't use the CA duster on my car but that's just me. Had one in the past and just didn't care for it. I do know that it can scratch paint if not used correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I'm not a big dusting guy. I'd rather use some spray wax and wipe with a plush microfiber cloth.

The spray wax will act as lubrication to lessen the damage.

For a waterless wash the optimum no rinse is a very very popular option among professionals.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The biggest tip/no-no Ive heard with the california duster is that you need to be 100% sure whatever you are "dusting off" has never gotten wet.

If its just pollen, dust from the air that landed on the car, etc...its fine to take off before its wet. But once its gone thru a wet/dry cycle its caked on and either wont come off or will mar the rest of the paint as you drag it off.

Optimum No Rinse is highly recommended, although Ive never used it. As bad as it sounds, the best success Ive had during our nasty Northeast winters is not washing the car at all (my car is Opti Coated so its protected even if its dirty.....to me you are better off not risking swirling it all until its warm enough to take a couple hours and do it right). Ill wash it around Thanksgiving and then once the weather is a bit warmer (March-ish)

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I just rinse the car down with a pressure washer at those 1$-2$ coin do it yourself car washes

costs 2 dollars to rinse the dirt and salt off in the winter

·
Registered
148 Posts
Foam Guns pretty much blow everything out of the water.

It is by far the best way to wash a vehicle. That combo'd with about 25 microfiber towels....
Is that yours?

I have the Gilmour gun but I can never get my foam to stick like that....granted my car has Opti Coat so not much DOES stick, I would just be impressed if I could get mine to look like that with the initial foaming!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Is that yours?

I have the Gilmour gun but I can never get my foam to stick like that....granted my car has Opti Coat so not much DOES stick, I would just be impressed if I could get mine to look like that with the initial foaming!
No its not mine....but if u cant get yours to look like that you might wanna try a different soap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.