Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys I just bought an LSD for my hybrid Q50 and I had originally decided to go with the Quaife but then changed my mind to the Wavetrac as they were both equally good but just because of the fact that the Wavetrac LSD’s ability to bias under ZERO to LOW load situations. But I have found out from Concept Z Performance that its on backordered due to this statement from them "I heard back on the Wavetrac and unfortunately these are back order with no ETA due to some issues with fitment. Do you want to wait for these still or swap for something else?" So I called them and they were saying that due to fitment issues and complaints its on backorder. Kind of a relief for me now that I recall hearing the same from a mechanic who works on LSD as well. So I guess Quaife is the safest and most reliable option for us Q50 owners in the meantime till this is sorted out.

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
114 Posts
That is good info, thanks. I noticed a lot of 3rd party (i.e. not AMS) sellers are still offering the part..

Ignoring Wavetrac, current Q50 LSD options are then:

• Z1 Street Pro R190 LSD - link (standalone), link (fully built)
  • Quaife LSD - link
  • Others?

Feel free to make other recommendations. Above seems what owners on this forum have the most experience with from what I've read.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
114 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Feel free to make other recommendations. Above seems what owners on this forum have the most experience with from what I've read.
While I was certainly considering the Wavetrac, my alternative is Quaife. I've asked the race shop that installed my C/Os & SPL Suspension for a quote, and now it looks like August for installation, including new bearing and seals.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
That's a steal if it performs well! How long have you had it installed?
So far so good - here is a more detailed link

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,643 Posts
Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Just received my Quaife Rear LSD from CZP in the mail!

Yesterday I spoke with my race shop in Tigard, and after some discussion, I've also ordered the full bearing & seal kit to "refresh" the rear diff. Three more weeks before the LSD is installed. They'll tear-down the rear diff on a Monday morning, figure out what shims are needed for the new install, order from local Infiniti dealer by 2:00 pm, and then have the shims overnighted (BTW, Infiniti lists ~50 shim P/Ns in their system for the R190). It should be ready by Wednesday. In the meantime, they provide a BMW 5-Series sedan as one of their shop cars.

So what is suggested for a 75W-90 Gear Oil? Redline? Motul? Nissan? Royal Purple? Mobil1? Valvoline? Not trying to make this another oil thread...

@Avedis53 - how much gear oil is needed) 2 qts? 3 qts? Here's what's listed in the Drivetrain section of SM:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Do those require LSD additive?

As for capacity, it's in pints not quarts. Rear diff 2 1/4 pt, recommened GL-5 synthetic. Assuming that is total capacity, not just refill amount. Most diffs are considered "full" as soon as the oil drips out of fill opening.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,643 Posts
Just received my Quaife Rear LSD from CZP in the mail!

Yesterday I spoke with my race shop in Tigard, and after some discussion, I've also ordered the full bearing & seal kit to "refresh" the rear diff. Three more weeks before the LSD is installed. They'll tear-down the rear diff on a Monday morning, figure out what shims are needed for the new install, order from local Infiniti dealer by 2:00 pm, and then have the shims overnighted (BTW, Infiniti lists ~50 shim P/Ns in their system for the R190). It should be ready by Wednesday. In the meantime, they provide a BMW 5-Series sedan as one of their shop cars.

So what is suggested for a 75W-90 Gear Oil? Redline? Motul? Nissan? Royal Purple? Mobil1? Valvoline? Not trying to make this another oil thread...

@Avedis53 - how much gear oil is needed) 2 qts? 3 qts? Here's what's listed in the Drivetrain section of SM:
View attachment 101803
A/T: 10-5/8 quarts
Front Differential: 1-3/8 pints
Rear Differential: 2-1/4 pints
Transfer Case: 2-1/8 pints
Power Steering: 1-1/8 quarts

Intercoolers with reservoir tank: 3-3/8 quarts
Intercooler reservoir tank: 1/8 quart
Engine coolant with reservoir tank: 300HP - 9-1/4 quarts 400HP - 10-7/8 quarts
Coolant reservoir tank: 5/8 quart

I used Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-90 for my rear diff.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
As for capacity, it's in pints not quarts.
Yeah, my bad. Thinking how small the R190 diff is, a few pints makes sense (vs qts).

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
I think I bought 3 and just squeezed until it came out the fill hole. Done. CZP should tell you if you need to run an additive and synthetic or not.
Checking here, looks like no additives needed, which is what I recall previously.

Quaife Technical Support - Information & Advice Relating To Quaife Products

Technical Support FAQ’s

What sort of gear oil should I use?

When running a Quaife ATB Differential in a standard transaxle gearbox, we recommend you use the oil recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer – the Quaife ATB Differential does not require any special lubricants. When running Quaife gearbox internals and a Quaife ATB differential, we recommend FuchsTitan SYN5 75W90. For a Quaife ATB differential, running in a rear axle, we advise you use a hypoid 90 or 75W90.

·
Premium Member
18 RS Q50 RWD
220 Posts
If all you want to do is dig, I recommend the Z1 pumpkin. You can have it installed by yourself in one afternoon. no break in, comes with motul 300LS 75w90 or redline equivalent.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
175 Posts
UPDATE: Started the parts removal (i.e., exhaust, driveshaft, RSTB, etc.) this afternoon to allow for the removal of the OEM rear diff, since I decided to put my QJ's to use and perform the R&R of the rear diff myself, and then drop-off/pick-up the differential w/Quaife LSD installed by my race shop in Tigard. They can turn-around the LSD install in a few days, depending if the shims from the Infiniti dealership can be delivered overnight or not.

I'm currently at the step of removing the diff from it's mount. Looks like two bolts near the front, and one in back. Tomorrow, I'll be using a transmission jack to lower the diff while I pop the half-shafts out. Glad I have the 2016 Service Manual for reference - still have to drain the gear oil, remove both wheels sensors, and then the vent tube as the diff is lowered.

So looking forward to having a rear LSD for the approaching PNW wet season.
I did the Traction Concept LSD myself and it was fairly easy. There are already some shims inside the stock diff.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
I did the Traction Concept LSD myself and it was fairly easy. There are already some shims inside the stock diff. View attachment 102814
What did you use to hold up the half shafts after getting pried-out of the diff? When did you remove the speed sensors and the vent? Anything special about the vent connection?

I am going to lower the diff on a transmission jack, remove the sensors and the vent connection, and then simply pry on the half-shafts to dis-lodge them. The SM says to be careful of the speed rings, but I see it has a flat washer/spacer, so at least that's there.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
175 Posts
What did you use to hold up the half shafts after getting pried-out of the diff? When did you remove the speed sensors and the vent? Anything special about the vent connection?

I am going to lower the diff on a transmission jack, remove the sensors and the vent connection, and then simply pry on the half-shafts to dis-lodge them. The SM says to be careful of the speed rings, but I see it has a flat washer/spacer, so at least that's there.
The half shaft are help up with bungie cords...sensors and vent removal is fairly straightforward, nothing special about it at all. I used a pry bar to dislodged the half-shafts, get a good location and grip and give it a firm jerk to minimize slipping etc.

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Sport
175 Posts
Someone has themselves a HF trans jack 👍.
Well worth the investment for a diy'er. I resisted in buying one for awhile but try using a regular jack is little awkward imo. I have a Saab that's awd and the jack has help me a lot in lowering that rear diff too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts