Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Q50S AWD recently Ecutek tuned with AMS LDP, AMS HX and AMS CAI.

Looking around, I am seeing RWD cars with similar mods doing sub 4 second 0-60. This run was with traction control on, in sport mode and letting the car do the shifting. I am getting a little wheel spin, but other than that, I was expecting a better 0-60.

Font Gadget Multimedia Electronic device Software

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Try it again with traction control off. The AWD is heavier, so I don’t know that you’ll hit sub 4, but it should be a bit closer at least. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
401 Posts
Are you using launch control ?

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Not sure if the app your using to record includes roll-out?

That said turn off traction control, break boost to around 2K RPM (If you don't have LC from tune) and let her go should be able to hit around 4.2s 0-60 when stock assuming
you have decent tires and you're not driving at crazy elevation. With the mods you have should be around the 3.8-3.9s range for 0-60 at the very least.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if the app your using to record includes roll-out?

That said turn off traction control, break boost to around 2K RPM (If you don't have LC from tune) and let her go should be able to hit around 4.2s 0-60 when stock assuming
you have decent tires and you're not driving at crazy elevation. With the mods you have should be around the 3.8-3.9s range for 0-60 at the very least.
I am using the Ecutek performance analyzer through the phone app. Not sure on the roll-out either.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Who tuned your car? Launch control makes a big difference building boost to about 8 psi before releasing the brake. I have the same mods tuned by Jake Compton at AMS and measure 3.5 second 0-60 on my AWD with TC turned on. If I turn it off I get 4 wheels spinning and crab sideways.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I am using the Ecutek performance analyzer through the phone app. Not sure on the roll-out either.
Hmm not sure about that one myself, Draggy is the one I usually see which shows both the roll out
and normal 0-60 times.

If it doesn't include roll out can pretty much cut 0.2-0.3 seconds out of whatever time it provides.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Who tuned your car? Launch control makes a big difference building boost to about 8 psi before releasing the brake. I have the same mods tuned by Jake Compton at AMS and measure 3.5 second 0-60 on my AWD with TC turned on. If I turn it off I get 4 wheels spinning and crab sideways.
4 wheels spinning? 🤔 I had to put a front and rear LSD in to do that. Your car pulls HARD (first hand experience), but not sure it spun all 4 tires. Maybe the rear end kickes out some? Maybe brake torque vectoring actually works.

Maybe @Avedis53 can elaborate on Brake Torque Vectoring". Mine pulled power with VDC on when spinning. With both LSD's VDC OFF I can spin all 4 nicely in 1st and 2nd. My GT-R can spin all 4 in 2nd and 3rd. Have to admit my Q in the winter is better than my plow truck, especially on ice. (With 4 snow tires).

Reactions: Wheels43

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,871 Posts
4 wheels spinning? 🤔 I had to put a front and rear LSD in to do that. Your car pulls HARD (first hand experience), but not sure it spun all 4 tires. Maybe the rear end kickes out some? Maybe brake torque vectoring actually works.

Maybe @Avedis53 can elaborate on Brake Torque Vectoring". Mine pulled power with VDC on when spinning. With both LSD's VDC OFF I can spin all 4 nicely in 1st and 2nd. My GT-R can spin all 4 in 2nd and 3rd. Have to admit my Q in the winter is better than my plow truck, especially on ice. (With 4 snow tires).
Don't know if this is what you're looking for but it does go over how VDC functions in the Q50. I found the last sentence rather amusing.

Rectangle Font Circle Number Pattern

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
You can't rely on the Ecutek phone app. It's not going to be very accurate, but if you're not using launch control that would explain it especially for an AWD. I'm an untuned RWD and had the same 0 to 60, but Dragy verified. Launch control is the game changer IMO for these cars and the main difference between a JB4 and a real tune.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
X
Try it again with traction control off. The AWD is heavier, so I don’t know that you’ll hit sub 4, but it should be a bit closer at least. 🤷‍♂️
z

All four spin only with TC off and using Launch Control. I don’t think you tried LC, correct? I really don’t use it anymore because I’m afraid something is going to break.

Reactions: mr. whistle

·
Registered
745 Posts
If it's RWD and you're in street tires, don't worry about 0-60 times. You're not going to do very well. The subframe cradle and pinion supports are far too soft for drag racing starts. The end links also deform. All of that deflection results in wheel hop and loss of traction. Something else that hurts it's stupidly short first gear ratio and the inability to start in second. It's hard to build any meaningful boost in first because there's just not enough load on the engine. Also, the inability to start in second is completely asinine and this is the first modem car I've seen that didn't let you defeat first for limited traction starts.

When the car launches, all the deflection loads up and absorbs force until it it can't anymore and then it rebounds quickly. It then becomes a cycle of compression and rebound until torque drops.

Sticky tires helps a little bit by sticky, I mean a full on drag radial, not an autocross 200tw tire or any of the UHPS tires. They can't do it. You need a DR from M/T or Hoosier for example. Wheel hop will still happen but the sticky tires will keep it from happening sooner.

The fix is to limit/remove all play in the rear cradle and tighten up the pinion supports. Then, being jointed links or very very high durometer poly. Then, maybe even set the static camber to +.5 or +1 so it goes back to zero camber on a launch and stays there during acceleration. Alternatively, swap in a solid rear axle. It'll hook like a boss then.

All of the will result in a luxury car....that isnt anymore. You have to decide what you want from your car.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
If it's RWD and you're in street tires, don't worry about 0-60 times. You're not going to do very well. The subframe cradle and pinion supports are far too soft for drag racing starts. The end links also deform. All of that deflection results in wheel hop and loss of traction. Something else that hurts it's stupidly short first gear ratio and the inability to start in second. It's hard to build any meaningful boost in first because there's just not enough load on the engine. Also, the inability to start in second is completely asinine and this is the first modem car I've seen that didn't let you defeat first for limited traction starts.

When the car launches, all the deflection loads up and absorbs force until it it can't anymore and then it rebounds quickly. It then becomes a cycle of compression and rebound until torque drops.

Sticky tires helps a little bit by sticky, I mean a full on drag radial, not an autocross 200tw tire or any of the UHPS tires. They can't do it. You need a DR from M/T or Hoosier for example. Wheel hop will still happen but the sticky tires will keep it from happening sooner.

The fix is to limit/remove all play in the rear cradle and tighten up the pinion supports. Then, being jointed links or very very high durometer poly. Then, maybe even set the static camber to +.5 or +1 so it goes back to zero camber on a launch and stays there during acceleration. Alternatively, swap in a solid rear axle. It'll hook like a boss then.

All of the will result in a luxury car....that isnt anymore. You have to decide what you want from your car.
2018 Q50S AWD recently Ecutek tuned with AMS LDP, AMS HX and AMS CAI.
He's a tuned AWD. There's no reason it shouldn't do a 3 sec 0 to 60. He just needs launch mode.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ack, I misread that big-time lol. It's been one of those days.

Most of what I said still applies but with AWD, the front end will start to spin at different times because the half shafts are unequal length. LSDs front and rear would be helpful but would make it understeer a lot unless you could fine tune it.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, WA
85 Posts
Can confirm wrapping up AMS red Alpha tune on my AWD RS and launch control/traction off is the ticket. Also, once you are tuned, manual shifting will result in better numbers. AMS will tell you this, shifting is not perfect on automatic with the tune and can throw numbers off a bit.

Also, was told they will be coming out with an updated tune revision soon that will be able to map automatic shifting points too, which should be sweet.

Oh and I spun all four during launch on like rev 4 and 5, they had to tone it down a bit. Now the backs will squeal and let loose just a little on a full launch with launch control. Oh and it has a few fun pops/feedback at high RPMs, love it!

·
Registered
Vancouver, WA
85 Posts
Took for a test today, about done with my tune (heard from them today they have the final revision). Here are my results. Still working on my shifting, over-shifted both times. Pretty sure I can get those down lower. Also 100mph result is off a bit as I hesitated to keep going (turn in the road). See sig for mods.

Font Darkness Circle Number Brand
Font Darkness Number Circle Brand

Reactions: Q60NH
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.