Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I bought a 17 q50ss awd, I went with a full Ecutek tune, with mods like lower downpipes, full cat back, catch can, and a heat exchanger, my biggest question was how is everyone holding up long term with these mods, and I’m seeing a lot of talk about people switching over to 5w30 engine oil, since they’re fully tuned, looking for some input and advice

·
Registered
483 Posts
Definitely seems that tuned people like the 5w30. How long it will last ultimately comes down to the tuner and how well you take care of the car. Change oil at 4k IMHO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is practically babied, only step on the gas for some spirited driving, other then that I’ve owned it for 5 months and only put 1700 miles on it, I would imagine it also comes down to how you take care of it for the long run

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Most folks that get tuned are not overly concerned about gas mileage, even though a tune surprisingly gives slightly better mpg. That said, Infiniti specs 0W20 to help achieve better CAFE #'s, but also to encompass those owners who drive in very cold climates.

With higher torque #'s from the tune and FBO's, I dyno'd at 503 WTQ on 93-octane pump gas, so running a 5W30 with slightly-higher viscosity and higher thermal range over a 0W20 oil is a no-brainer. IMO, my VR30's rod end bearings will likely survive better with all that torque applied with a higher-grade oil in the crankcase (less prone to shear-down).

In fact, for those of us tuned by Seb @ SpecialtyZ, he advocates using a 5W40 oil for his tuned customers that operate in climates typically above freezing. I would have switched to 5W40 myself, but my UOAs are favorable using Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30, so I'm sticking with this oil and grade for now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With that being said, would you recommend upgrading the oil filter to a larger one that holds more volume

·
Registered
483 Posts
With that being said, would you recommend upgrading the oil filter to a larger one that holds more volume
Yes 15208-9E01A is the part number.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Looking at my past orders on Amazon, I bought four (4) of the over-sized filter about a year ago for $4.85 each from Conyers Nissan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at my past orders on Amazon, I bought four (4) of the over-sized filter about a year ago for $4.85 each from Conyers Nissan.
I will take a look into this, just curious as well, what oil brand is everyone using? I’ve seen good reviews on Mobil

·
Registered
483 Posts
I will take a look into this, just curious as well, what oil brand is everyone using? I’ve seen good reviews on Mobil
Oooohhh... This ought to be good. LOL 😂

Here goes.. I currently use Castrol Edge. I will be switching to Valvoline Modern Engine Oil next change.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Oh, snap... yes, like others in this thread, I have been using Valvoline 5W30 Modern Engine Oil and the Nissan-branded over-sized oil filter. Why? Based on several UOAs and 4-5k mile OCIs, the results speak for themselves. With this oil, the oil maintains a dark honey color at the end of the change intervaI, as Valvoline includes dispersants in its formula to manage soot, which will turn oil black if not controlled via the oil chemistry. In addition, my Mishimoto CC captured a mere 30 ml of blow-by (oil mist, mostly...) when I checked it after 4k miles from initial installation, and with 24k miles on the engine, it still uses no oil between changes.

Latest UOA from Blackstone Labs:

After trying Pennzoil Platinum and Castrol Edge, I switched to Valvoline at the 9,567 mile change interval. You'll notice the increase in Magnesium in the subsequent samples, which is one of the main dispersants used to control soot in the oil, which (soot) is a by-product of Direct Injection engines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just did my oil change last week with the valvoline 5w30 modern engine oil and the larger Nissan oil filter 15208-9E01A.
Thank you for the info, actually just installed my catch can this past weekend from ADD W1, very informative info, I’m gonna probably make the switch over, especially that it’s slowly starting to warm up

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also in the market for a better exhaust, I cheaped out purposely cause don’t believe in spending close to 2k on a exhaust system, I was told invidia q300 has a good exhaust system but it’s for rwd models only, but I’ve seen some members here fit them to awd models

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought some Motul 8100 EFE 5w-30 as a friend highly recommended it. However, I didn't know that I needed to upgrade the filter to the larger size and just picked up 4 filters (15208-65F0E) from the dealership.

Looks like I'll need to head back and exchange them...rookie mistake, damn it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you for the info, actually just installed my catch can this past weekend from ADD W1, very informative info, I’m gonna probably make the switch over, especially that it’s slowly starting to warm up
Keep an eye on your hood liner. Some of us are having issues with the ADD W1 OCC bracket being too tall and crashing into the liner causing damage. Other users have contacted the company and they keep telling us the new bracket will be ready in 1-2 weeks for the past month or so.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just bought some Motul 8100 EFE 5w-30 as a friend highly recommended it. However, I didn't know that I needed to upgrade the filter to the larger size and just picked up 4 filters (15208-65F0E) from the dealership.

Looks like I'll need to head back and exchange them...rookie mistake, damn it!
You do not need to run the larger filter. Lots of us do, because why not have more filter media, ya know..Just know that is not required.

BTW the dealer should have sold you 15208-65F1B (original 65F1A has been superseded to 65F1B), which is what the 2019 Q50 3.0 t uses from the factory and calls for.

Any of these 3 filters will work though:
15208-65F1B (stock Infiniti Q50 filter)
15208-65F0E (normal small Nissan filter)
15208-9E01A (larger Nissan filter)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You do not need to run the larger filter. Lots of us do, because why not have more filter media, ya know..Just know that is not required.

BTW the dealer should have sold you 15208-65F1B (original 65F1A has been superseded to 65F1B), which is what the 2019 Q50 3.0 t uses from the factory and calls for.

Any of these 3 filters will work though:
15208-65F1B (stock Infiniti Q50 filter)
15208-65F0E (normal small Nissan filter)
15208-9E01A (larger Nissan filter)

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the clarification! I have the normal small Nissan filter... the parts guy asked me what year and model too. But this is on me for not doing easy research...and I want to be in the big filter crew so I'm going to head back! Haha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts