Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 G35X and love it. Best car I ever owned. Considering trading in my '99 Lexus RX with 225k miles on a new Q50 AWD but price is an issue, so I'm looking more base model. The premium package is required to get the leather seating for $1,000 and the price difference ends up with a lowest price of $44.6k vs. $39.1K to get leather, of course there are many other added features. The base Q50 AWD does not even offer leather when I try to build on on infinitiusa.

Does anyone know what type of seats the Q50 comes with if not leather? I can't believe it would be cloth but have not heard anything and see there is a post thinking it's cloth. I would have thought some type of Mercedes MB Tex type material. I asked an Infiniti salesman and he didn't know. Anyone know for sure?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
It is a synthetic leather that they call leatherette.

Most BMW 328's and MB C300 have this fake leather and most people do not even know. I would say at least 60% of the 328's on the road have this. I believe that it is also standard in the 528 but I am not sure. I hate how Infiniti is going to the leatherette but I guess they need to keep the base price down and all the competition has it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is leather not being a standalone option confirmed?

It's a scam if Infiniti only offers leather seats with a bundled package. I would pay $1000 extra for leather, but not an extra $5000. This actually really bothers me. I always get leather seats with my cars. I'll wait for the second year production to see Infiniti wisens up.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
It is a synthetic leather that they call leatherette.

Most BMW 328's and MB C300 have this fake leather and most people do not even know. I would say at least 60% of the 328's on the road have this. I believe that it is also standard in the 528 but I am not sure. I hate how Infiniti is going to the leatherette but I guess they need to keep the base price down and all the competition has it.
I rather have the leatherette than real leather. Over time the leather will crack and even rip. I have a couple of 20 year old vehicles with original leather seats and the rips and cracks just look horrible. Leather was nice but I rather have the leather-like materials that are still very good. So chances are, even 15-20 years down the road we may not see the bad rips and cracks that real leather gets over time.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts

It's a scam if Infiniti only offers leather seats with a bundled package. I would pay $1000 extra for leather, but not an extra $5000. This actually really bothers me. I always get leather seats with my cars. I'll wait for the second year production to see Infiniti wisens up.
If leather is the only thing you want from the premium package why not just get the base car and get a Katskin leather interior done for approx $1000 buck then you could even go custom with it;)

·
Registered
67 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I've never thought about that. I usually don't go for aftermarket, but in the case I just might have to. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. My in-laws have had a couple of C class Mercedes Benz's that had the MB Tex and I thought it was pretty nice and it was quite durable. If Infiniti offered something similar I'd be interested, if it was the same cloth cover as an Altima, I would pass. I suspect a base Q50 will be very hard to find short of special order.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My in-laws have had a couple of C class Mercedes Benz's that had the MB Tex and I thought it was pretty nice and it was quite durable. If Infiniti offered something similar I'd be interested, if it was the same cloth cover as an Altima, I would pass. I suspect a base Q50 will be very hard to find short of special order.
I hope you're right. The base is so stripped it's lucky to have the Q50 badge. An optional sunroof? Seriously?

Still, not as hilarious as an old co-worker's 2003 G35 sedan. He got it with cloth seats. I didn't even know cloth existed for those.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Sadly the cloths seats were available to cut cost as leather was an option which I would of opted for regardless since at the end of the day its and infiniti a luxury sedan. You would think all of them came with leather.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The leatherette material is not that bad actually, but normally you can't get them perfortated. That may be a limitation of the material or manufacturers trying to keep the leatherette the 'entry level' look. But it will not breath like perforated leather. Some cars only have leather on the parts of the seats that touch your body and other parts are vinyl and owners probably don't even notice. I'd be okay with leatherette if they offered it in a perforated/cooled seat. I don't need leather, but usually it comes with the other features I do want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope you're right. The base is so stripped it's lucky to have the Q50 badge. An optional sunroof? Seriously?

Still, not as hilarious as an old co-worker's 2003 G35 sedan. He got it with cloth seats. I didn't even know cloth existed for those.
I think Infiniti will agree with you. What bothers me just a little is it seems if we are right this non-existent base model is merely a way for Infiniti to announce with much fanfare how the Q50 starts at $37k when in fact that's a version that for the most part will not be offered, and when it is, that it's a stripped down model.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Well I guess fake leather is better than cloth seats. Unless they are some kind of high end cloth like alcantara or racing jersey material.

Most pleather is so good you can't even tell.

Personally I opt for real leather when I can. Can't beat the smell and feel of real leather.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Well I guess fake leather is better than cloth seats. Unless they are some kind of high end cloth like alcantara or racing jersey material.

Most pleather is so good you can't even tell.

Personally I opt for real leather when I can. Can't beat the smell and feel of real leather.
I am a leather fan myself there is no replacement for the feel of real leather. Depends on who is making the fake leather though some domestic pleathers are so uncomfortable and extremely fake looking. But yes some are so good at replicating leather you would have to do a second take to really figure it out. Most of the time by the smell.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find that when manufacturers use the jersey material its not as versatile as some base model cloth interiors. it may feel nice but doesn't last long. Bmw in the past not sure if they still do used that very material and every owner reported the rips and tears.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I think Infiniti will agree with you. What bothers me just a little is it seems if we are right this non-existent base model is merely a way for Infiniti to announce with much fanfare how the Q50 starts at $37k when in fact that's a version that for the most part will not be offered, and when it is, that it's a stripped down model.
I read recently that Infiniti is going to focus on global fleet sales with the Q50 also. Guess where all those base models will end up? High end rentals and company cars.

Wouldn't that be sweet? Even a base with no moonroof would be a badass company car. :D

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I read recently that Infiniti is going to focus on global fleet sales with the Q50 also. Guess where all those base models will end up? High end rentals and company cars.

Wouldn't that be sweet? Even a base with no moonroof would be a badass company car. :D
Company cars yes ... But rental cars no thank u .... There Is an entire thread on here discussing that ... I feel that it kinda cheapens the brand and the car ...but that's just my opinion ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.