Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously can't really say much in regards to next year models, but just throwing it in.

Anyway, assuming the next gen Q50 gets pushed past 2021 I'll probably want to look else where for a freshly used car for 3-4 years. What other models meet the criteria of a Q50?

Criteria:

• Luxury
  • AWD
  • Automatic
  • 300HP+/fast
  • Above average reliability
  • Solid/stable/good resale value after initial 50%+ loss. Basically good lasting value as a used car.
  • Adaptive cruise control/some level of automated driving/safety features
The only other competitor that comes to mind that meets these requirements is maybe a Genesis G70.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Believe it or not, if I was in the market for new lux sedan/coupe, I would look at the new the Cadillac CT5 (though I don't think this gen will have a coupe) as an option. But, I would be looking for RWD exclusively. Drove a co-worker's C43 AMG, and I'm sold. That is a good looking car and stirs the emotions.

Not fund of Genesis, but I do appreciate that they offer another alternative - and hopefully, their existence will be kick in the pants for Renault-Nissan to fully support the INFINITI brand.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I was disappointed that the Q50 update won’t be any time soon so I did some shopping.

Genesis G80 sport bigger and not as sporty but nice for the money. Drove like a big car but nice.
G70 - interior felt cheap. Didn’t drive
New Volvo S60- not as fun to drive but a nice car. Interior felt a little cheap. Didn’t like that you had to select the top down view. With all of that screen real estate I felt it should show both the rear view and top down video at the same time.
Cadillac CT5 - won’t be out soon enough for my lease end but looks very interesting.
Kia Stinger - again, interior felt like a big step down to me. Didn’t drive it.
New BMW 3 series. Liked it, didn’t love it. Felt very small.
5 series - way too expensive for what you get. Drove bigger as well.
BMWX340- this was a NICE SUV. Very sporty. Was very close to ordering but decided I didn’t want another SUV. Was high on the list though.
Ended up ordering an Audi S5 sportback. Have had a Audi Q5 for a little over a year (wife’s daily driver)and love driving it. The S5 is gorgeous, very fast, great exhaust sound, great balance between comfort and sport like the Q50, Apple CarPlay, handles like on rails (ordered the sport diff). Definite price premium but I’ve been driving Q50’s for 5 years and ready for a change.

Just some quick thoughts.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Obviously can't really say much in regards to next year models, but just throwing it in.

Anyway, assuming the next gen Q50 gets pushed past 2021 I'll probably want to look else where for a freshly used car for 3-4 years. What other models meet the criteria of a Q50?

Criteria:

• Luxury
  • AWD
  • Automatic
  • 300HP+/fast
  • Solid/stable/good resale value after initial 50%+ loss. Basically good lasting value as a used car.
The only other competitor that comes to mind that meets these requirements is maybe a Genesis G70.

The G70 is the most direct competitor when you run down the list, but I'd personally go with a size shrink and snag a m240i.
Checks every box is a comparable price and they are a car that may very well start to appreciate in a few years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was disappointed that the Q50 update won’t be any time soon so I did some shopping.

Genesis G80 sport bigger and not as sporty but nice for the money. Drove like a big car but nice.
G70 - interior felt cheap. Didn’t drive
New Volvo S60- not as fun to drive but a nice car. Interior felt a little cheap. Didn’t like that you had to select the top down view. With all of that screen real estate I felt it should show both the rear view and top down video at the same time.
Cadillac CT5 - won’t be out soon enough for my lease end but looks very interesting.
Kia Stinger - again, interior felt like a big step down to me. Didn’t drive it.
New BMW 3 series. Liked it, didn’t love it. Felt very small.
5 series - way too expensive for what you get. Drove bigger as well.
BMWX340- this was a NICE SUV. Very sporty. Was very close to ordering but decided I didn’t want another SUV. Was high on the list though.
Ended up ordering an Audi S5 sportback. Have had a Audi Q5 for a little over a year (wife’s daily driver)and love driving it. The S5 is gorgeous, very fast, great exhaust sound, great balance between comfort and sport like the Q50, Apple CarPlay, handles like on rails (ordered the sport diff). Definite price premium but I’ve been driving Q50’s for 5 years and ready for a change.

Just some quick thoughts.

The Audi S5 sportback is one I looked at too, but Audi cars really dont depreciate fast enough. I'm gonna be looking at about $25k for a used car with 30k or fewer miles. Basically what I got my Q50 for (24k @ 22k mi)

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
The Audi S5 sportback is one I looked at too, but Audi cars really dont depreciate fast enough. I'm gonna be looking at about $25k for a used car with 30k or fewer miles. Basically what I got my Q50 for (24k @ 22k mi)
Yep, that’s a double edged sword. Better buy when they don’t depreciate as quickly. But harder to find used deals that make sense.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I'ma gonna git me one of dem Tesla Roadsters when they come out.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

Criteria:

• Luxury
  • AWD
  • Automatic
  • 300HP+/fast
Might that rule out BMW and Mercedes?

Nothing I can think of can compete with Infiniti's lease deals. I've decided to keep mine long term.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The G70 is the most direct competitor when you run down the list, but I'd personally go with a size shrink and snag a m240i.
Checks every box is a comparable price and they are a car that may very well start to appreciate in a few years.
I'm sure they're great. Unusable back seat disqualifies it for me.

Their web site says: "Every angle is greater than the next with the BMW M2 Competition Coupe."

That's decending order. So angles get worse? :nerd:

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/2-series/m2-competition/overview.html

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I'm sure they're great. Unusable back seat disqualifies it for me.

Their web site says: "Every angle is greater than the next with the BMW M2 Competition Coupe."

That's decending order. So angles get worse? :nerd:

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/2-series/m2-competition/overview.html
The backseats are actually half-decent, I'd call an 2 series more practical space wise than a Q60 despite the shorter wheelbase.
But for sure the size of the car isn't for everyone.

Hah your totally right it is descending order!

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Mercedes C63 is a terrible handling car when even getting close to the limits. And as someone stated if youre looking for reliability rule out MB, BMW and Audi. Owning an Audi without a full warranty is financial suicide.

It almost hurts to even think about it but the new Alfa Giulia is getting really good reviews for handling, reliability etc.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The Mercedes C63 is a terrible handling car when even getting close to the limits. And as someone stated if youre looking for reliability rule out MB, BMW and Audi. Owning an Audi without a full warranty is financial suicide.

It almost hurts to even think about it but the new Alfa Giulia is getting really good reviews for handling, reliability etc.
No, not really (quadrifoglio)....but it being an awesome performer has led some to excuse its reliability penalty.

·
Registered
229 Posts
No, not really (quadrifoglio)....but it being an awesome performer has led some to excuse its reliability penalty.

I know... it seems that alfa and reliability will never go together in the same sentence, but the trade rags love it. Anecdotally, I have 2 coworkers that have them, and love them. one is approaching 60K and never had an issue with it. I cant even say that about my q50.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts

I was pretty nervous going from a Lexus SUV for years for my wife and trying out the Audi Q5 but other than a few minor software updates, the reliability has been awesome. Things have really changed in that regard with Audi if you read updated rankings. However, the maintenance costs are absolutely ridiculous. I bought Audi care which covers regular maintenance up to 40k miles. First oil change at the dealer would have been about 3x the cost of my Infiniti oil changes at the dealer. This is definitely a consideration. But I’ve been active on Audi forums for a while and reliability seems to be about on par with what I’m seeing on this board. I was just as surprised to see this. Just my $.02.

Not sure that I will own after the warranty expires, lots of tech to worry about but that’s the same with most cars these days. Plus, I like a change up every so often as things improve on that front.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

The f u c k? So...nothing is reliable oh guru of call that is good?

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
I would get a Camry Hybrid...53mpg and 13 gallon tank. That is good for at least 650 miles.

But, I always start with the best of intentions and quickly realize it is not for me.

Once I do the above scenario, a few weeks pass and I start jonesing for handling and power and start modding it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts